Chapter 8

Pandora

One week left to make a miracle.

"I don't see them," I pound my fist into the table.

"We can wait until they come back," Vicky said as she gently placed her hand over my clenched fist.

By then, either I'll be dead, demoted, or jailed. They might start searching No Man's Land again.

"It could be another six months before they surface again. We need those plans now," I scanned the crowded dance floor to find the targets. The music pulsed through the air and vibrated my body to its core.

"Liz tried to grab one of their comm tablets, but she was interrupted by another group. How are you going to get close to them," she asked while fiddling with her fingers.

I spotted the group. They're not hard to miss, especially with their glowing eyes and horns of the Devil.

"By the bar," I said.

"Pandora," she said, grabbing my wrist, "Don't be reckless. If you're caught, death would be a kinder option," her eyes begin to well up.

"Vicky, I'll be fine," I said with a half-smile.

She sighs, "That doesn't sound like a promise."

"For the cause, I will sacrifice my all. Please don't stand in the way," I said.

Vicky's grip loosened. I took a deep breath releasing the pressure in my chest. My skin tingled from the energy within the small club. Bodies moved to the exotic beat of the instruments. I wiped a bead of sweat from my forehead as I strained to see through thick white smokey clouds. Making my way through the crowd, I find an empty seat at the bar across from the dark demigods.

"What can I get ya," the bartender said.

I leaned in, " Shot of Hellfire, please," I said with a smile as I placed a rolled cigarette to my lips.

He smiles, "Coming right up."

I start to fish around my bag for a light as the bartender places a smoky neon blue drink in front of me. As I exhale, the air around me is filled with a musky odor entangled with sweet herbal undertones.

I take a deep breath before devouring the burning drink. I looked in the direction of the targets to find them gone. My gaze catches up with them on the dance floor.

The crowd parted like the sea as they approached a woman dancing in a dress that embraced her figure. They surround her like lions; their glowing eyes are filled with hunger. The woman stops moving as if she's been placed in a sultry trance. The tallest member steps forward and pulls the woman into his body. One with ram-like horns closes in behind her.

My heart begins to race as he whispers in her ear. He must possess a tongue of honey, for she starts to whine and sway her body with a new purpose unknown to me. The tall one's thick, strong arms cradled her as the duo matched her pace. I squeeze my thighs tight together to quiet an ache that began to throb.

Focus. For the Cause.

I bite my lower lip, feeling that intense pressure shrouding me. I haven't seen or heard from Abel since that night. Two pairs of glowing eyes are watching me; a fierce heat erupts from my face.

Did they see me? Is my cover blown? Fuck!

"Ma'am," the bartender said.

I nearly jumped out of my skin. He places down another Hell Fire drink.

"I didn't order this."

"They did," his head motions behind me.

The intense pressure and throbbing doubles as my heart crash against my chest.

"What's your name, temptress, " a deep voice said.

The air becomes heavy and thick with a spicy scent and a hint of lime. An accent I didn't expect to hear for a while.

"Rose," I said without turning around.

"Where are your masters," he said in my ear.

I turn to see a pair of deep blue, glowing eyes that threaten to swallow me whole. His coarse hair pulled into a small top knot.

"A warrior does not answer to those who do not prove their strength greater than their own," I counter quoting something from their scripture.

"Well, bold little warrior," he takes my cigarette and takes a long pull.

"I think my strength will split you in two," he continued, extending the cigarette back with the filter inches from my lips. I reach to take it, but he pulls it back.

"With your mouth." he said.

My thighs slowly press back together tight. My lower lip begins to sting from the biting pressure. My tongue moistens my lips; the instruments slowly fade into the background of my heart's pounding. My hair falls forward as I lean closer to him, my lips spread and wrap slowly around the tip. I gaze up at his eyes as he releases it; a light rumble escapes.

A growl? Moan?

Sitting back without breaking eye contact, a light breeze caresses my back.

"We'll have to keep an eye on this one."

The member with the ram-like horns said as he stands on the other side of me. His eyes glow a deep green. He slicks the top of his hair back; the sides are cut close with flowing lines etched in. I lift the drink, but before it could reach my lips, his hand covers the rim.

"Only good girls get to drink," he said.

I soak in his broad, muscular shoulders as my eyes travel hungrily down to a rectangular bulge in his back pocket.

Jackpot.

"I'm destined to die of thirst."

Standing to leave, I bump into him. Lifting the tablet into my bag. A little spill to the floor will be worth it. His massive hand covered my lower back and sent a warm tingle over my body. His brows crinkled, searching my face. My mouth dries out, and my breathing picks up.

"Sorry," I said, breaking the contact.

Shit. Quick bastard.

Backpedaling, I bumped into something solid.

"Leaving so soon?"