Chapter 30

Pandora

Two Weeks Later

The weeks dragged when you're bored out of your mind. The only things to do are train, read, and sleep in the middle of nowhere, and I've done plenty. This enormous house could hold a small unit and run the daily operations; I grabbed my boots and quietly made my way to the back door. The cloud-white tiles conceal my escape past Casimir's watchful eye. I stopped by his cracked door, relieved to hear the water running, my chance at some unsupervised quiet time.

I took the stairs two at a time and made a break for the back door. The air is filled with pines and fresh wet grass from the storm the night before. I slid into my boots and crossed the threshold to be met with a painful zap to my neck. Fucking collar. It had other uses than telling people when you're horny.

"What the fuck," I yelled, jumping back inside, ceasing the pain.

"You know the rules," Casimir said.

He sat on the counter, pouring milk into his bowl.

"I want to go outside."

"Go ahead. It's within your power," he said with a mouth full of cereal.

"I don't feel like taking another test."

"Oh, so you changed your mind about going into the field?"

"No."

"Then you will take tests as long as we say," he said with a smirk.

I have half a mind to slap that damn bowl out of his hand, but that would end like most of my days did when I first arrived. I cut my attention back to the door as my cheeks begin to feel warm. It's just him here. What the hell.

I turned around to meet him standing right behind me, eating, challenging me to deliver on my impulses. I quickly changed my mind and refocused on the task at hand.

"You're no fun. I miss how bad you used to be," Casimir said.

"I bet. So, you can punish me," I said.

"Don't think so hard. It's like everything before," he said, returning to his crunching.

"When will Ares and Owen return," I asked, watching a bird try to take flight.

"Three days. Focus and master this," he said, crossing the threshold, past the porch. He strolled barefooted through the grass.

"Is this the last test?"

"There will always be more tests, but yes, if you can do this, then the next time we set out--"

"Really," I said, searching his eyes for a lie.

He let out a chuckle, "Yes. Now, focus."

I closed my eyes and focused on the vibrations around me. First things first locate whatever is controlling this collar. I'm still for a while but can't sense it. I took a seat in the doorway and tried again.

"Are you playing dirty?"

"What makes you think that," he said with a chuckle.

I rolled my eyes and continued to search. Over the last few weeks, I've noticed a change in my abilities but decided to keep it to myself. One of the many books I had to read says deception is the key to battle. Never reveal your whole hand.

**********

Ares

"With all due respect, she's ours now," I said, rubbing my knuckles into submission.

"That's where you're wrong. Pandora was ours before you all knew she existed. You did a great job bringing her home safely, but you can't hide her forever. I bet she's at your countryside estate," Cain said with a smirk.

He doesn't speak often, but when he does, it has merit. The room became tense, and the air was difficult to breathe. We were supposed to be here on assignment, but instead, it seems that something else is at play. I glanced at Owen, who's trying hard not to flip the large oak table onto Alpha squad. The Priest called this emergency meeting saying it would change the state of the clan, but he hasn't bothered to show up yet.

"Yes, that's protected even when no one is around. We don't plan on giving her up for no reason. Well, there's no way you override this unless--" Owen's energy sent a chill through the room.

"Calm down. There's another way to get her without killing you all. A much easier way," Abel said with a high note of confidence.

"Well, let's get this going. She's eagerly awaiting our return," Owen said with equal confidence.

Abel jumped from his seat. The door slammed, breaking up the discussion as an intense shredding pressure filled the room. All our bodies froze, footsteps echoed off the wall.

"So noisy today. Can we talk about what you all were called here for, or shall I vent my frustrations," the Priest said.

He took his chair at the head of the table, releasing his hold. We took our seats and continued our silent grudge match.

"Why are we here? It would seem Alpha believes it has to do with our new mate," Owen said.

"It does, and I made a mistake that has to be rectified," Priest said.

"What mistake is that?"

"Upon further investigation, we've found out her lineage. We thought some soldiers went aboard and had fun, but it would seem this situation is a lot more complicated," Priest said, rubbing his eyes.

That bastard tested the sample and didn't even send me the results.

"Complicated how? Must we pay a dowry? No amount is too great. I will be happy to talk with the family," Owen said, placing his card on the table.

"She was already promised to the Alpha team years ago before she was born," he said.

"We captured her when they couldn't. We've staked our claim in front of the whole clan. I don't care what promises were made. She belongs to us."

Owen stood from the table, and I followed suit.

"The family has sent a proxy to collect her now, and they have offered to replace her," Priest said.

"What bold family believes they can replace our mate," Owen asked.

"Nastri," he said.

We looked at each other in disbelief, then at the smug faces of Alpha. Who's cock did they suck to make this happen? Bullshit.

"I'm sure the embarrassment will fade over time," Cain said.

"We need time to explain things to her," Owen said.

"I know this is difficult, but the parties involved would like to do this. To avoid any unpleasantness that could occur," Priest said.

"Is that all? If so, we'll take our leave," Owen said as we made our way to the door.

"I've been waiting so long to finish the things that she and I started many times," Abel said.

Everything went red.