Chapter 39

Pandora

We stuck to the treeline outside of the fence to avoid the guards in the streets. From the looks of it, they know we escaped. This went to shit fast, and we have only one plan. I peeked through the crack of the fence, and the guards were checking everything. The truck may no longer be a viable option.

"What do you see," the guy asked.

"Our out maybe fucked. They're checking everything."

"If they're back here, then we still have a chance to get on. Play it by ear, but I'm not giving up now," he said.

We continued until he tapped my shoulder. He kneeled next to the fence and interlocked his fingers. Placing my foot into his hands, he lifted me. I looked over, and across the street was an alley with a truck parked in the back. Looking to the left was the tower with at least ten guards out front. We did have some cover from the bushes and the crowd; it was now or never. I tossed my leg over and dropped down.

"Clear," I whispered.

One by one, everyone dropped down. We slowly entered the crowd, following the flow while still creeping towards the alley. It was a technique I often used to tail people and even sneaked into the upper realm. Perfect for blending in. There were men loading bags into the truck. Once they went back inside, we rushed over. They climbed in then the guy started taking sheets out of the bag.

"Get in."

The girl got in, and he placed the sheets on top of her. He repeated the process for all the other prisoners. I kept my eyes on the road and the back door.

"Your turn. Hurr--"

The back door popped open. My escape partner jumped out of the truck with his weapon drawn, not wasting a second. A man with a coarse top knot with his arm in sling came out. He turned, and those frosty blue eyes landed on us. Just before he could reach him, in the blink of an eye, he was right next to me. Before he attacked again, I raised my hand.

"It's okay," I said, "Get in the truck quick."

Unsure of what to do, he stood there. I waved him on, and he did. Back on the truck, he climbed into a bag.

"Why am I not surprised," Casimir asked, placing a rolled cigarette between his lips.

"Because you know better," I said.

He lit it and grabbed me by the back of my neck. His thumb traced where the collar used to be. We stood there for a minute, anyone could walk upon us, or the drivers could come back any second. He pulled me close and pressed his lips against mine. I guess my expression was funny cause he smiled.

"Don't get caught before I find you," he said.

"I won't."

***************

Abel

Whenever Nastri smiled, it was never good. Cairo shook off the shock and exited the elevator; I quickly pressed another floor. Before the doors could close, he stuck his arm in.

"We'll walk together," he said, extending his other arm like it was an invite.

Once we all were off, he stared at us, "Well, lead the way."

Was this what it was like to always have a blade hanging over your head? All we could hear were our hearts and the echo of our boots.

"You're back early. We weren't expecting you for another month," Cairo said.

"I wanted to come back early so, I demolished the city instead of taking prisoners," he said.

If any of us did that, we would be brought to trial and fined a fortune. Nastri's influence and money went back to ancient times. He probably wiped his ass with that amount for fun. Cairo's room came into view, and the guards were still by the door. We all felt that heavy weight lifted from our shoulders. She was still inside.

"I'll wait here. Bring her out," he said, straightening his jacket and smoothing his hair.

Cairo went inside, closing the door behind himself. After some seconds, crashing sounds and a swell of curses. Nastri looked unfazed by it and waited patiently. A minute passed, and Cairo reemerged from the room.

"She's in the shower. Could we do this another day?"

"I'll wait."

Cairo scratched his head, "She--She doesn't want to see you. Let me talk to her, and I'm sure we can arrange something."

Nastri went for the door, and Cairo blocked his path. They made eye contact, and Nastri's smile widened.

"Move," he said.

Cairo reluctantly did, and Nastri went inside. Cairo bit into his fist, and I peeked into the room. The shower was running, and Nastri was in the bathroom doorway. From there, his vibrations made my head rattle, and my insides hurt.

"Cairo, did you just lie to me?"

His back went straight, and he fixed his face, "About what?"

We all went inside the room, and she wasn't there. The vent was popped off. Cairo looked around the bathroom, checking behind the door and then under the bed.

"What the hell," Cairo said.

His acting was terrible. Was he trying to get all of us killed?

"Don't toy with me. You said that she didn't want to see me, but she isn't here," he said.

"She gave me the silent treatment through the door. She does that when the answer is no. We haven't gotten off on the best foot," Cairo said.

"Not only did you let Beta get their filthy hands on her and let them shame her in front of the whole clan, but you also let your teammate steal her maidenhood. Now, you're telling me that you let her escape?"

"Let me--"

Nastri had him by the throat and slammed him to the floor so hard that the tiles cracked. Cairo kicked and thrashed. I looked to Cain, and he held his position; he knew it too. The three of us couldn't take Nastri on a good day, even with him mortally wounded.

"Listen and listen well," he said, "You better find her again and fast, or I will crush your head with my bare hands. Lie to me again, and I will crush all of your heads with my bare hands."

~*~*~*~*~*~

You can read up to Chapter 40 on Inkitt and Chapter 60 on Patreon! :)