Chapter 33

Pandora

I wasn't waiting for whoever this psychopath elected to be my partner. Lucky for me, they were late, and the feeling in my body returned about an hour later. The room was surprisingly bright, white with a splash of orange from the trim and furniture. The fireplace was a nice touch. A bathroom big enough to play in, but the color scheme was dark with burnt orange. Not a window in sight, just a vent too high up for me to reach.

This whole merry-go-round of dicks is not for me, and I'm getting off of this ride. I knew enough to survive in the city on my own until I could cross the border. Then from there, I don't know, I could always find a job and live a quiet life or--

The heavy lock clicked, and the door tapped the wall. A few loud voices filled the room as I jumped onto the counter. Their feet were just as heavy as they entered the room. It was at least two people, three if I'm not mistaken. Even on my toes, the vent was too high.

"Why is my bed like this?"

"You're a slob, it seems."

The voices were deep and very much male. One seemed familiar, but I couldn't place it.

"Weren't you going to get changed? You need to be quick before the sedative wears off."

That voice I knew. It was Abel. I started to jump and pray that the cover would come off. Then I thought and slid off the counter. I'll need that escape route later. Tipping them off now won't do me any good.

"I'll be twenty minutes," he said, flipping on the bathroom light.

Cairo stopped in the doorway; his face didn't give anything away. He wasn't in uniform; his clothes were covered in dirt. The soft fabric pants and plain shirt were worth a small fortune.

"You shouldn't be moving around yet. Why are you here," Cairo said.

"I'll leave then," I said, trying to get around him.

If he's going to be dumb enough to let me walk out of here, then I'll take it. Cairo blocked the exit with his large body. Of course, that'll be too easy.

"Stay. Freshen up, and I'll bring you clothes," he said.

This scared me the most out of everything. He wasn't a lunatic like that night in the vault or a jackass like at the feast.

"Who're you talking to," Abel said, walking over.

Abel said this would happen either way. His face, on the other hand, was full of emotion.

"I have a guest," he said, "We'll meet you both at breakfast tomorrow."

My heart dropped, and I tried my best to plead to Abel with my eyes. All of his spinning emotions washed from his face as he straightened up and walked away. Are you fucking serious? He's going to leave me alone with him. He tried to cut my face. Well, Abel and I didn't end on the best of terms, but I thought at least he wouldn't do this.

"Did you want food too? I can get you some when I bring back the clothes."

"I want to leave," I said.

His lips went into a hardline. I was sure an outburst was coming, but he sighed and headed for the door.

"I'll walk you to your room. Do you remember where it is?"

I shrugged, "You tell me."

He scratched his chin, "Come, we'll find it."

As we went into the hall, I thought of running but reframed. The layout was still unknown, and I didn't know where I was yet. A shredding pressure tore through the air, and my body yielded without a second thought.

"Where are you two going," the General asked, without looking up from his folder.

He was sitting on a bench around the corner. Cairo's attitude changed, he no longer held his head high, and his arrogance fell into his back pocket.

"I'm taking her to her room."

"I left her in there already," he said, flipping a page.

Cairo looked at me, and I'm sure my expression said it all.

"There're plenty of rooms for her to stay. I don't want Beta's sloppy seconds. She needs to be examined first," he said.

"Excuse me? I would rather stick a hot poker into my crotch than touch you."

Cairo's face darkened, "There're a lot of things I prefer to do than you. Being torn apart by wild animals alive is at the top of the list. Being burned alive comes second, and drowning is a hard third."

"Be that as it may. Both of you will do what needs to be done," the General said, looking at both of us, "You may not know Nastri, but if this isn't taken care of by the time he arrives; everyone will suffer. Mostly you," he glared at me, "You look so much like her that it's sickening, but at the end of the day, she was a beauty. No matter her treacherous deeds."

"You can't just keep me here against my will. None of you can. I want to leave," I said.

"You can leave. Right to the execution block. This clan saved you, and your life belongs to us, and we can do with it as we see fit."

"I'll take my chances."

He sighed, "Nastri will have his hands full with you. You got the worst and best qualities from your parents. I'm actually excited to see what you both will make. It's getting late, and you shouldn't be walking around right now. You'll drop like a fly."

Just as I was ready to tell him exactly what I thought, Cairo grabbed my elbow and dragged me back to the room. He locked it from the inside and started to remove his clothes. I snatched the lamp from the nightstand, ripping it out of the wall.

"Think twice," I said.

He headed to the bathroom, "Take the bed. I'll sleep on the chair."