Chapter 19

Pandora

The music began again, and everyone continued their previous tasks. I watched as the groups dance together. So much contact; hands gripping skin. The small pulses of energy made the hairs on my arms stand.

"What happens next," the fur around his collar was soft.

I just wanted to rub my face in it.

"The punishment, claiming, then we enjoy the night," he said, running his fingers in through my hair, "We'll have to head to the arena soon."

My heart drummed furiously.

Shit. A bubble.

The chant gave me strength and rebuilt my defenses, but from their darting glances, my secret may be out.

His hand stilled, "What are you hiding, little warrior?"

"Nothing," I said.

His embrace tightened, "I'm too close for you to lie."

"I don't know what you mean," I said.

His cheek pressed against mine, so smooth and soft. I expected it to be rough with stubble, bumps, or scars. What was this pull? It was so familiar yet foreign.

"We'll have a discussion later about complete honesty,"  he said.

Just that statement alone sent tremors up my spine like earlier, instead of coming from control, it came from a place of service. A complete difference in what I think would happen; being chastised or punished. Instead, my bones told a different story; it was whatever I wanted; what I said.

"Is it a crime to have a few things that you want to keep to yourself," I said.

Disbelief clouded his face, "The most egregious between comrades and mates."

    A strange wave of emotions overtook me. I scanned the room for the culprit then a second wave comes full of malicious intent that made me growl.

"What's wrong," Owen asked.

My hands began to shake; instead and the hairs on my neck stand. I abruptly spin in the direction.

"Don't look so confused," she said, with a smirk as she wrapped her arms around my waist, bringing me in closer to her.

As if I imagined it all, the ill intent melted into lust. My breathing becomes ragged. My fists shake at the sudden change of vibrations. I was ensnared in her spell; my body erupted in heat.

What is this?

"Play nice now, Kyren," Ares said from behind her. She smiles innocently without breaking our eye contact.

"I'm only giving her a taste of her own medicine. She's been giving us whiplash all night. I do see her....appeal. She'll be a joy to train."

She released me and the delicate dance of lust and hate she held over me.

"You should learn some techniques. Stop by the clubhouse sometime; the ladies will be eager to help. Even if only to save ourselves from your rampages," she said before turning her attention over my shoulder and walking past me.

"Shall we play? I have everything set up in my room," she said with a light giggle.

"Not tonight. We are preoccupied at the moment," Owen said.

At that moment, my heart dropped. I take a quick turn and walk around them. What did I expect from them? To belong? Be special? I laughed to myself for the stupidity. An abrupt grip took my wrist.