Chapter 54

Pandora

A familiar vibration caught my attention in the corridor by the restroom. It was deja vu. Being pulled into the shadows was a close second. I spun around, bringing an open hand. My hand stung, and he groaned. Those bright blue eyes swelled and pulsed.

"Ow," he said.

"Casimir? What are you—"

His lips pressed to mine delicately. He breathed as if he ran miles. Casimir's nose rubbed and nuzzled my cheek. He pushed some hair behind my ears and stared at me.

"You're going soft on me," he said, "There was a time where you would've blew yourself up instead of being captured.

"I thought it was you coming back. Then it was too late."

"Me? Coming back for what," he asked.

A small smirk danced on his lips. He pressed closer to me, pinning me to the wall. His body heat would make me melt at this rate. I shrugged my shoulders.

"Your eyes—you'll take his help, but not mine?"

"It was a condition he made. Besides, you turned me down."

Casimir peered around the corner and then returned his attention to me.

"I won't now. We have a few minutes, but we can make the most of it," he said.

"You're only good for a few minutes? How convenient," she smirked.

He laughed, "Why take more time if you don't need it?"

Casimir leaned in again, but I pulled back. The last thing I needed was for Cairo to see any of this. It would end ugly for Casimir then Cairo would hurt Sid and Mary just to punish me.

"This isn't a good idea. Cairo—"

"Is busy kissing ass. We can leave and be back before he finds out, but I think right here is more exciting."

My throat became dry. Anyone could walk up and catch us—-tempting. His hands dropped to my waist, inching my dress up. I placed my hands on his.

"I need to get back before he notices I'm gone," I said.

Casimir's vibration took a jagged turn, but he backed away. He flicked the collar around my neck.

"Cairo tamed you well. A shame such a strong warrior reduced to a pet," he said.

"A pet? Just because I don't want to do what you want?"

My spine felt like it was lit on fire. His amused expression transformed into a look of contempt. I just want everyone to be safe—to live.

"No. You're more worried about what Cairo wants than what you want. Don't keep your master waiting."

Casimir headed back towards the party. What the fuck was happening here? For the first time in my life, I'm being cautious, and he sees it as cowardice? Walking past Beta's table brought a heavy feeling hard to explain. As I took my seat, Alpha was just coming back themselves.

"Where did you go," Cairo asked.

"Restroom," I said.

"Are you feeling okay? You were gone for a while," a woman said.

It was Abel's date. He had been flaunting her all night in my face—sitting close, whispering with each other, even their hands were busy under the table. She wasn't concerned with my well-being. That's one thing I knew for sure. Her smug face gave her away.

"I think so," I said, "There's a scent. It smells absolutely disgusting. I didn't want to be rude, but did you step in something on your way here?"

She frowned, "No, but I'm glad that you have friends to check on you."

I glared. Why was she watching me so hard? Everyone looked at me, but I kept my eyes on her.

"Yes, just like you. I'm sure you have nothing but the best intentions towards me."

"Not as good as—"

"With me," Abel said, pulling the girl up by the elbow, "I want to dance."

Of course, he did. It was one of our favorite things to do. We would go to Utopia or a house party and dance the night away before tangling the sheets until the early morning. I don't know what I hated more: people thinking I'm a coward or this situation.

"Are you really sick," Cairo asked.

"Probably something I ate this morning," I said.

"You barely ate," Nastri said, "You should now."

"I would feel better if I could retain some of what I had before."

"Like what," Nastri asked.

"Training, schooling, and free reign over the clan," Cairo said.

"That's not how we do things here," Nastri said.

"So, I'm told, but my situation is different."

"It's not. You're exactly where you need to be. It'll take time to get used to, but talking like that will end with you being hornless if anyone of importance hears. Then there will be nothing that Cairo or I will be able to do about it."

Those were my only two options: shut up, follow the rules, or get cut up. Tonight was filled with reminders of the past. They had a lot more in common with the Eastern clan than they thought. It was a mystery to me how they weren't allies before.

"That's disappointing to hear," I said.

"Small changes at a time, Pandora," Cairo whispered, "Dance with me?"

"I'm allowed to do that?"

"One of the few things you can do," he said.

We made our way to the floor with the other couples. Within that space was a buzzing of sorts—the push and pull between partners. It was a hypnotic flow that blended well with the music. Cairo closed the distance between us and swayed to the beat.

He managed to step on my feet for the first few songs. I would need crutches before the night was over at this rate. I placed my back to his chest and reached back for his hands.

"Next time you ask a girl to dance, actually know how to dance," I said.

"I thought you wouldn't notice."

Cairo got better as I guided him. Fast songs weren't his thing, but he did shine during the slow ones. With his newfound confidence, he spun me back to face him again. I met a smile. Was this the first genuine one I saw from him? It was short-lived as his eyes dropped down to my neck. His index finger hooked around the collar and leaned closer in.

"Why is it activated?"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

You can read ahead on Patreon; it's up to Chapter 74. On Inkitt, it's up to Chapter 55. :)