Chapter 46

Cairo

This had to be a trick. Black magic from the old days. The doped-up boy swayed a bit before looking at me. A guttural growl filled the room, and the chains pulled against the base.

"Nothing," the boy said.

"Why do they—"

"Why are you so worried about my business," I asked.

The Priestess walked up to me like she was ready to slit my throat. To my knowledge, she didn't have any training—never seen a battle. I wonder how brave she would be if she met me without her false sense of protection.

"I'm just trying to give you all a demonstration. You can ask a question if you like."

This boy wouldn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. I'll play along for now. The sooner we're done, the faster I can go and find her. Nastri called us back last night, and I caught a glimpse of his famous sword being sharpened. The prisoner I sent was already in the Southern clan searching. Leaving him alone for too long won't be good for anyone.

"What do I seek," I asked.

The boy just stared blankly at me. This is a waste of time. I glanced at the Priestess, who watched the boy intently.

"Power. Destruction. Heart," he said.

"That's very vague. Any cheap fortune teller could've told me that," I said.

"Try being more specific," she said.

"Where is it? What I truly seek."

"Close."

"Location."

"The land was kissed by hell to death. In the darkness, it waits."

I laughed, "Cheap parlor tricks and riddles are the hidden power of humans? We're in trouble, boys."

Cain and Abel joined in with a few chuckles.

"What is he trying to hide," Casimir asked.

I didn't even notice him getting so close to the boy. If he weren't careful, the boy would bite off something important to him.

"Heart."

"Is it in the land kissed by hell?"

"Yes."

Casimir nodded and walked out of the room with Owen close behind. Where were they rushing off to? Abel's vibrations spiked a bit. A subtle gesture that we needed to leave right away.

"We'll be taking our leave to then. This has been very insightful," I said, "We'll be in touch. I'm sure our Priest will want to send over his shamen to get a full assessment."

Once we made it back to the lower realm, Beta was already gone. Something wasn't right. Abel grabbed me by the arm; his grip was too tight for my taste.

"They know," Abel said.

"Who? Know what," I asked, shaking his hand off.

"Beta. They know where she is. Or at least have an idea. I have an idea too."

"And you're just saying something now?"

Four months and now, he mentioned this. I swear if this cost me, I will break his leg. My body started to get hot.

"I didn't think much of it until now. She would be foolish to go there, but Pandora was in a desperate situation."

"How far is it?"

"Close. If she isn't there, then we can just head south."

Abel led us through the streets. We ended up in a deserted area; he stopped in front of a house. It wasn't run down like the others. Abel went to a loose slab in the pathway and lifted it. He pulled out a small set of keys. As he went to unlock the door, he shook his head and smiled.

"How many times do I have to tell you," he whispered, pushing it open.

"What is this place?"

"It's where we would meet," he said, going up the stairs.

I followed up behind him, and he was inside a bedroom going through papers on the nightstand. A belt laid on top of the tangled sheets, and a pair of cuffs were attached to the bedpost. This was where they spent their nights—-playing the sick games Abel enjoyed. My heart rang in my head as I picked up the belt and wrapped an end around my hands. I came up behind his crouched body. It would only take a minute.

"I found it," he said, pulling out some folded-up papers, "She took me on one of her missions. They stole supplies."

"So?"

"They would need somewhere to take it. Then Beta's capture report had some holes. It was almost like she escaped, and they caught her before anyone found out. And didn't report it," Abel said.

"Her base wouldn't be in the city. The dead zone outside of the gate," I said.

"Yes, but it's dangerous. We can't just blink around out there without a precise location."

Abel stopped on a small piece of paper. On it was a scribble that looked like numbers. Coordinates? I tossed the belt back on the bed and took the paper. There was only one way to find out.

**********

Pandora

"Tell me again, what else is in the crates," I said.

"Just pieces of some contraption and books. Why," Sid said.

"The city. Are there solar panels and a well in the center of town?"

"That's how we've been able to survive here. How did you—"

We were in No Man's Land. My city. I could still feel the heat of the flames and taste the ash in my mouth. Why would I come back here of all places? A cruel twist or maybe a punishment for all the people I got killed.

"What is this place, Pandora," he asked.

"A bad dream. We can't stay here. We're in the Eastern Clan, a few hours from the Captial. The Priestess knows about it, and so do the leaders of the rebels."

"Not a soul has come by in days. If your enemies believe that this place has been destroyed, they won't come back here," he said.

I wish that were true. If anything, one would return to claim the land or make sure no one has inhabited it. I fell back into the cool grass and closed my eyes. Sid sighed and lay next to me. The heat of his eyes stayed on the side of my face.

"If it bothers you too much, we can leave at first light. The beach sounds like a good time," Sid said, "We can teach Mary how to swim."

"Thank you."

"It's getting dark. We should head back," he said.

"I'll meet you there. I'm going to stay for a while longer," I said.

I could feel his hesitation like a lot of things around me. I never realized that everything has a vibration. The quiet, constant buzz kept me centered and present.

"If you're sure," he said, standing.

His wavelength disappeared after a few minutes, and then it was just me in the dark. The breeze grew colder for a moment, then I felt it: a wild jagged vibration. It was approaching fast. I sat up and tried to pinpoint it.

"Who's there," I called out.

The only answer I received was loud footsteps.