Chapter 34

Owen

I was so careful when testing her samples. No one was around when I did it, and I waited for the results personally. Even took the time to replace and clean everything. My request for the classified database was still under review. Only we had access to her at all times. We were cautious. The night of the feast crossed my mind. My fist pounding into the armrest echoed through the hall. We all ate and drank, leaving behind plenty of samples for anyone to test.

The steady beat of my foot tapping kept my mind clear and calm. Ares was being released today, at least some minor stroke of luck. After our little shuffle with Alpha, we managed to get away with minimal injuries and a few days in the hole. Casimir, on the other hand, was clinging to life. It took the best trackers to locate him in the old free lands close to the Eastern clan.

I could guess how he got there. There was only one person who would think to take him there. It's impressive for a beginner, but why didn't she just escape? She could've just blinked anywhere else. Even left Casimir to die. Did Pandora have another objective? That conundrum will keep me up at night.

"Have you heard from Cas," Ares groaned, leaning on the wall.

"He's in critical care. General Rowen took her," I said.

"So, Cairo needed daddy to come and help him save face," Ares laughed.

I doubted that's how Cario wanted it to play out. He and I knew well that Rowen got what he wanted. Rowen would make it happen despite any threats he may give if it benefited him in the long run. I feel stupid for not securing my bond with Pandora. I'm sure we all did. Trying to win her affections without force may have just blown up in our faces. The strongest pure bloodline slipped through our fingers.

"No. General Rowen knows exactly what's at stake. He's securing his future bloodline to make a play for the throne. I'm just more surprised he's allowing Cario the honor of it. Then again, it's better to pull the strings from the shadows than to be in the seat."

"What's our next move?"

That was something I didn't know. This was unexpected in the worse way. Nastri told everyone that his wife had run off with his daughter. When he and his team went to recover them, it didn't end well. His wife was killed in the altercation, and the baby died, according to the wife. She said she ended the child's life to save her from the life that awaited her. People suspect that Nastri killed his wife after she confessed to killing their child. No one questioned it, and who would?

"We wait for Casimir to recover, then we prepare for advancement."

"Without all of us with a power boost, we'll fail again," Ares said.

"Cairo isn't patient. He'll make her clam up faster than a fisherman," I said.

"Exactly, he isn't. How do you know he won't just force it? It's not against the law, and with Rowen in his ear, I don't trust him."

"He won't. Cairo is a lot of things, but that isn't him."

It's one of the reasons why I respect him. Why he and I don't go for each other's throats. We see eye to eye on that, at least.

"A person never knows what they're capable of until there's a gun pressed to their head."

The statement is true enough. We all have seen what we were made of. A lot find out that they don't have any limits. Rowen and Nastri were a part of that camp; their ambition far outweighed any social construct or moral code.

"Well, I guess that means we need to work fast before the gun is at his head."

*********

Ares

The house was too quiet. Right about now, Pandora would be trying to sneak outside. Casimir would be smashing everything in sight, being loud. After Owen went to bed, I dragged myself to my desk and turned on my computer. Councilman Elrod had a lot to answer for. If he thought I was going to take that ambush lying down, then he was sorely mistaken.

My first few calls went unanswered, but I kept trying. On my seventh try, the line came alive, and his face came onto the screen. He seemed relieved.

"You're alive," Councilman Elrod said.

"Why wouldn't I be," I asked, tossing some painkillers back.

"Not many survive when General Rowen is on the prowl," he said.

"Want to explain how he found out about the sample I sent you?"

The line went silent, and he sighed.

"As I said, not many survive when he comes knocking. I wasn't going to die over that, especially when I got the answer already."

"Why didn't you give me a heads up?"

"So, he would know that we were talking? Yeah, no thanks," he scoffed, "But don't worry Councilman Ares, you can air your grieves at the next meeting."

I couldn't believe my ears. Was this really happening?

"I didn't finish my application yet."

"Well, hurry up and turn it in so I can make the official announcement."

The screen went dark as I sat there trying to come to terms with it all. I am someone now. This will open up so many avenues. How will I tell Owen and Casimir? They hate the council as much as Alpha, but it's my dream.