Chapter 41

Owen

"I was sure you would've been foaming at the mouth at the chance to Angnikai her," Casimir said.

"Collaring, punishments, and keeping her home are far from cutting her ties to the Great Koko," Ares said, "Too many have gone insane from it. It's painful and leaves a hole in the soul. I wouldn't wish that on anyone."

"It's okay. Ares got us a chance at her. We just can't mess up," I said, "Where would she go?"

Ares and Casimir were busy glaring at each other. I need them both focused on this. Going over to the kitchen, I popped open a bottle of red wine. Not Casimir's favorite, but it did catch his attention. He hobbled over with a glass in hand.

"Do you think Pandora would go to the place she took you to," I asked.

"Not anymore. She would expect us to look there first. Then again, she knows the area well," Casimir said, sipping.

That wasn't helpful, but it was a lead. We can check there first, then do a sweep of the Eastern clan. We're due to meet with the Priestess again and see that secret project she's been working on.

"Ares, when we head out, you'll stay behind to keep tabs on Rowen and Nastri. Last thing we need is for your loyalty to come into question," I said.

Ares frowned, "Why would it be questioned? I can disagree and still remain loyal."

"That's not how Rowan and Nastri will frame it. You need to be able to run damage control," I said.

"I thought you would wait at least a few months before you started to disclude me," Ares said.

"Don't be sensitive. I'm trying to help you."

"Trying to make sure I don't spoil your plans," Ares said.

I poured us both a drink. Ares took it hesitantly and sat at the counter next to Casimir, who was already reaching for the bottle. He wasn't wrong about my thought process, but it was more of a precaution than anything else. Power changes people, especially those who aren't used to it. They usually want more. Why tempt him when I didn't need to?

"Yes, and we need someone on the inside. They've never given us a fair chance. Now, it's all but guaranteed with you there."

"Is that an order," Ares asked.

Why did he always have to be so complicated? This wasn't the time for pettiness, but if he wants to make it personal, so be it.

"One, I expect you to follow in every way," I said.

Ares took his glass and stormed out of the room. If I wasn't sure he was mad, the slamming door did the job. Casimir raised a brow but stayed silent. This was going to be a problem.

**************

Pandora

It's been a while since I've seen my face on a wanted poster. Nastri placed a nice bounty on my head for a safe return. I'm glad we found some clothes and hoods in the truck. I needed to plan my next move. What would I do? Disappearing sounded like the best idea.

Getting out of the tourist side of the city was easy enough before the lockdown went into effect. No one was the wiser. I looked like a noble on a trip with slaves. We placed a few miles between us and the city, but we couldn't stop now. They would be out in full force soon. The best thing was to walk through the night until we crossed the border. Once my abilities worked again, I could just blink far from here.

"Looks like you're an important person. There are enough credits on your head to retire on a private plot of land. Even buy fugitive slaves their freedom," my escape partner said.

"Only if I'm captured," I smiled.

"I guess that means you have a plan to evade arrest then," he said.

"A reckless one."

"I assumed," he said, "Room for us?"

He looked back at our ragtag team. They would slow me down, if anything. He still seemed strong enough, but the others would need food and rest to be useful. That would take time I don't have.

"You'll be better off on your own. They'll be chasing me."

His hand stroked the stubble on his face, and that fire in his eyes returned.

"So. You're planning something big, right?"

"Big?"

"Yeah, the Priestess. You were a rebel. Don't tell me they domesticated you in there," he said.

"If you missed the large ass horns on my head. The leaders of the rebellion tried to kill me because of it. It's over for me, but if you want to fight. I can tell you where to go."

The leaders would still be at their base, taking their payoffs from the upper realm, but he and his group would be fed and safe as long as they pulled their weight.

"You want us to go work with people that would betray their own," he asked.

"What do you expect me to do? Infiltrate the rebellion, kill the leaders, take over, and relaunch my attack on the Priestess?"

He smiled, "Sounds like a reckless plan to me. Last time I checked, you said it always worked for you. You already have a small unit here at your disposal."

This guy is as crazy as I used to be. I just pulled that plan out of my ass. It was risky all the way to the end with a lot of what-ifs.

"All of you could die. Just get away from me before I get you killed too," I said.

"We were bound to die in those cages. I rather on my feet if it's all the same to you. Don't you want revenge? To finish what you started?"

I wanted all of those things, but I don't think I could take sending other people to their deaths. Vicky's death and No Man's Land's destruction, I can't.

"You're really going to let her get away with what she has done to all of us?"

Maybe I will listen to Vicky for once in my life and take her last piece of advice. Travel the world. Fuck saving it.

"I'm sorry. I can't," I said.