Chapter 28

Pandora

All I could see was her face in those last moments. Next was all the regrets that swam in my heart. I didn't realize I would have so many after yesterday. It was a lot better when I thought she had died in the blast and that I would follow behind her in execution. The pain of knowing that she took my place in Sebastian's playpen and on that stage is killing me slowly.

"Breakfast is ready," Ares said from the doorway.

"Who cooked?"

"Me, of course. Casimir would burn the place down, and Owen doesn't know a pot from a pan."

My neck was sore from how I slept. I didn't expect Owen to be so understanding and comforting last night. They've all been different from the rumors that were whispered about them. Three months is a long time to hold up a facade. I'm starting to wonder if it is one at all.

He turned to leave and froze in the doorway, "Sorry for your loss."

"Thank you," I said, going into the bathroom.

After getting ready, I joined them at the table. It was like every other morning with small chatter and loud silverware. Casimir kept staring, which was different. He didn't say anything, and it was weirding me out.

"Do I have something on my face?"

"Just the usual. Eat, we have training after," Casimir said.

The table jumped a bit, and Casimir flinched, glaring at Owen.

"I mean, if you're up to it," Casimir said, rubbing his leg.

I smiled, "Yes. I'm up to it."

Just sitting around all day will leave too much time for me to think. When I overthink, I do crazy things. My appetite didn't make an appearance; my stomach just churned.

"If you are, then eat. You can't be at your best if you're hungry."

"I'm not very hungry right now," I said.

He didn't say anything else but continued to eat. Once he was done, Casimir grabbed his bag and jacket. I jumped from my seat and followed behind him. Before I could cross the threshold, he blocked my path with his arm.

"Maybe tomorrow," he said.

"I'm fine. Come on, let's go," I said.

"You won't do anything but be in the way. Stay here. Study," he said, walking off.

Before I could say another word, he was already at the elevator.

"Don't worry; I have plenty for you to do. Besides, you need to pack; we're moving to the countryside estate tonight," Owen said.

That's right. I had forgotten they had mentioned that.

"Weren't we supposed to go months ago?"

"A lot had prevented us from leaving, but now we're cleared to go," he said.

"There will be plenty of open spaces. Perfect for a good chase," Ares said from behind his glass.

For the first time today, my stomach didn't churn, but it fluttered.

"What are you planning to chase?"

"A little bit of this and that," Ares said.

"I don't think it'll be as easy as you think to catch," I said, clearing the table.

"Would you take advice from a fish on how to catch fish, or would you ask a fisherman," Ares said, looking at Owen.

Owen sat back in his chair and tilted it against the counter. He rubbed his chin as if he was in deep thought. I huffed and kicked his chair, making it go back into its upright position. The dishes crashed into the sink, splashing water.

"Fisherman knows best," Owen said, "I'll see you both later. I've been summoned, and I need to tie up a few loose ends before we leave tonight."

He was out the door like the building was on fire.

"It's sad when the fish believes it is a fisherman," I said, massaging my stiff neck.

Warm, rough hands cover mine and take over. My eyes roll back from the relief. It was hypnotic. His fingers slid down to my shoulders, working out the kinks I didn't know I had. My breath hitched in my throat as his lips grazed my ear.

"I couldn't agree more," Ares said.

"Good, the first step is acceptance. Even fish can prey on the fisherman, make them fearful," I said, taking control breaths.

I've been practicing hard to control my vibrations. How they stay mindful of their emotions twenty-four seven is a mystery. It's exhausting and annoying, but I imagine that bubble and tighten it around my body.

"Nice try, but I can still sense your vibrations," Ares said, "I wonder if my hands went lower, would you just jump into my net?"

Breaking our contact took most of my willpower. Ares' smug grin definitely doused the fire that was burning between us. I reached into the sink and flung enough water to drench him. His grin washed away as the water dripped from his face.

"Do you know how long it took me to sculpt my hair?"

It was wet too. A big improvement, in my opinion. His hair was still stiff, but the top started to fall lazily over his eyes. He seemed more approachable and relaxed.

"Too much time. This is--a lot better," I said, wiping his face with a hand towel.

He took the towel, "What do you know about Forsaken men's hair? It's our--"

"Pride. Along with your combat and love-making skills. You should wear it like this."

Ares' heated gaze fell on me. He tossed the damp towel on the table and closed the distance between us. His expression went blank, and vibrations non-existent. Whenever they did that, it made me uneasy.

"Why would I do that," Ares asked.

"It looks nice," I said, bumping into the counter.

"Just nice?"

"I hate it when you all do that."

There wasn't an inch between us now. His heartbeat thundered through my body. It was the only indication I had about what he could possibly be feeling or thinking. Which didn't help narrow down the list of emotions.

"Do what?"

"Hide what you're feeling. All of you read me like an open book, but I can't do the same."

He cupped my cheek, "Is that so? Well, let's fix that."

A warm sensation from his hand crept into my body, leaving a trail of goosebumps behind. My heart took off. His cologne became the best thing since air. He leaned close, leaving some space between our lips.

"Better?" he whispered.

"I'm more confused than before," I whispered.

A small smile danced on his lips as they connected with mine. He bit down on my lower lip, not enough to cause serious pain, but just the right amount to blend in. It was just for a few blissful seconds.

"How about now?"

I nodded.

"Good. Finish cleaning up. I'll be in the study; I have some business to attend to."