Chapter 20

Abel

She didn't even look back. My fists started to ache as the knuckles went from pink to red. Everything always had to go exactly her way on her terms. Even when we were together, just like now, what I want doesn't matter. Was she just using me the whole time? If she were, I would still be the better choice. Is she trying to punish me?

"Where is she?"

My night couldn't get any worst. Smoothing down my uniform and hair, I lean against the wall. Their footsteps stopped right in front of me, and I greet the looks of disdain.

I spread my cape wide, "In my back pocket."

Cairo smirk and drove his knee into my gut. Glad I decided to skip dinner as he continued to kick and punch. Just when I started to heal, this. My body buckled under the pain; the cold floor was welcoming.

"You've ruined a deal that's been in place for over three decades," Cairo said, catching his breath.

"How many times do I have to say it? I didn't know till that night at Utopia," I said.

I was able to stop her transformation in time. Our mission was to locate the rogue woman from our clan. After discovering it was her, I couldn't do it especially knowing what and who waited for her. She should've left with me when I told her to.

"And every time after that," Cain asked.

That was easy; I wanted to. Her love for life was infectious, but there was always a dark cloud over her head. Surprise was an understatement when she revealed she was Beta's target as well as ours.

"As I said before, not to make her suspicious and to gain the intel we needed," I said.

A bullshit answer; Cairo and Cain knew it as well.

Cario squatted, "Or a good way to undermine my rank and take what's mine."

"She belongs to no--"

Stars bloomed in my vision, and my face burned.

"She belongs to me. Not you and damn sure not Beta. Don't you forget it, and the next time you do, I will cut you, fruit and branch," Cairo said.

There wasn't a doubt in my mind that he would. Cairo probably would still do it even if I'm successful, to make sure I have nothing to offer Pandora or her family. A man unable to pass on a legacy wasn't a man at all. Well, at least one worthy of someone like her.

"I have her exactly where I want her. She'll experience the punishment and claiming ceremony first hand and call for me," I said.

"She better," Cain said.

Cain was more worried about Cairo's threat than Pandora. Our family is small and new to the higher ranks. We were supposed to keep our heads down, rank up and settle down with strong high ranking women to improve our family line. I was content until that day in that rundown bar.

"Well, let's go witness this miraculous plan bear its fruit," Cairo said, "If it doesn't work, know I will beat you every night she is not where she belongs."

*************

Pandora

Waves of people poured into the hidden path just off the main road. I wouldn't have noticed it with the bushes and trees blocking it from view. It led into the ground, the air above was warm and welcoming, but this was cold, eerie. Excited voices bounced off the stone walls. The flags decorating the walls swayed with the wind flowing from the main door. After a few moments, a warm touch caressed my shoulder. I met Ares' acute eyes.