Chapter 40

Casimir

It was like the Great Koko answered my prayers as I laid in that field of sunflowers bleeding out. I saw her again, not the way I wanted, but I did; letting her know my intentions. Pandora had the chance to flee and didn't multiple times that day. Could've left me to die. Why not? We took her prisoner and tried to siphon her power for our advancement.

I can say the way she looked at me that day was the first time I truly saw her. When she told me to live—something indiscernible awakened in me. Her voice and eyes had me do something I haven't done since I was a kid—I prayed. Prayed to live and for her to be mine.

A woman rescued me? Then had the nerve to act cool about it, and to top it off, sacrificed herself and freedom for me to live. It was the only thing that made sense. That last blink she did could've killed her, but she pushed herself for someone like me. I don't know what it means, but I have a few clues. The biggest being she didn't hate me, maybe even like me. I kissed those hot wet lips and she didn't pull away or curse me out. Pandora just had that wide expression she had that first night we met, then promised to wait for me.

I let her escape today, but when I catch her, no one will take her. Not Alpha, the Priest, or my team. Owen is a rich kid, and Ares is a tragic story, but me, I am the average guy that got fortunate enough to be here. A fart in the wind to most. Raised with nothing and was supposed to die with the same. I had accepted my faith until that moment.

"Did you hear," Owen asked, slamming the door.

"Yes, it's all over the city. Everyone is saying it's the end of the world," I said, sipping on my drink.

"Alpha fell asleep on the job. Their misfortune will be our gain," he smiled, "Where's Ares?"

"With the council discussing the situation I imagine," I said.

Owen's cheerful mood disappeared. Both of us were pissed at his decision to join those assholes. It will cause some conflict down the line. Ares would have the power to veto Owen's plans from time to time if it suited him. Our power balance has been thrown off. Ares could agree with the council to let Alpha pursue her and the order for us to stay put. Even reveal our plans of capturing her.

"We won't doubt him unless he gives us a reason to," Owen said.

I think it was more for him than for me. It was a shit show waiting to happen either way. I had a plan, one that even shocked me as I thought it, but it could work. If Pandora would have me.

"Are you listening," Owen asked.

"Yes, yes. Don't doubt unless we have to," I said.

"No. I said we should go alone. While he's busy. Ares can feed us information from the council to aid our plan."

My ears perked up at that. As I tried to sit up, my ribs and arm ached. My medicine was on the other side of the room. I can't wait for a rematch with General Rowen. I won't lose a second time.

"You and I will set off once you're better. She hid for her whole life; she can hide for a few months," Owen said, helping me up, "Besides it will give Alpha enough rope to hang themselves."
"And for the council to let their guard down," I said.

Owen smiled, "I don't know why everyone calls you simple."

"My quiet genius is missed by most," I said.

**************

Ares

"Forgive our rudeness, Councilman Ares. We would normally welcome you with a celebration, but as you're aware of our current issue. That must come first," Councilman Elrod said, taking his seat.

"I understand. Bringing her back must be our top priority," I said.

General Rowen and Commander Nastri were whispering among themselves. Plotting, no doubt. Nastri glanced up and locked eyes with me. Rowen followed his gaze but kept talking.

"They were not pleased with the vote to let you in," Elrod whispered behind his hand.

"I'm not surprised. My team has embarrassed them a few times over the last few months; then Alpha lost her after she was handed to them," I said, not breaking eye contact.

I hoped he could read my lips. His face revealed nothing, but I'm positive that they both did. General Rowen stood, making his chair scrape the stone floor.

"Shall we get started? The Priest will understand," he said.

Elrod looked around the table and the rest of the Council was in agreement then he looked to me. I gave a lazy flick of my wrist and Elrod clapped his hands.

"Let's start then. First, how did she escape? Do we know," Elrod said.

"Air vent in the bathroom that she took to the slave quarters. She released them and they left together," Rowen said.

"The front desk would've seen and stopped her. She isn't in the system. How did she get out of the building," I said.

"A guard let her out. Cairo tracked him down and dealt with it. Him and his team will set out tonight to capture her and the prisoners," he said.

"What's to stop her from escaping again? She should be placed with a team that has the time and watchful eye to take care of her," I said.

Murmurs quietly took over. Beta would be next in line to get her. Seeing that Alpha has shitted the bed more than once, it wasn't unfair or suspicious that I suggested it. Nastri and Rowen glared, but kept their composure.

"She won't be able to do it a second time. Her mate has come to the hard decision of administering the sacred ritual, Angnikai," he said.

Nastri turned his attention to Rowen. His furrowed brows spoke volumes. The room went silent for a moment, but the nodding heads turned the tide. They were desperate to that extent?

"Our clan hasn't had a warrior female in decades and you want to dehorn her because it is convenient? If your son doesn't have the patience nor the balls to control her then allow someone who does," I said, "Not everyone is equipped to handle a woman kissed by the Great Koko."

"I can't think of anyone else fit to do so," he said.

"I'm sure everyone here could think of a few. You're okay with your legacy being snuffed out before it can even begin," I asked, looking at Nastri.

"I still haven't laid eyes on my child yet. If it keeps her here, I won't complain. She wasn't raised here. She'll never understand our ways. My legacy will bloom when my grandchild takes their first breath," Nastri said.

"It's settled. Her father agrees to it," Elrod said, "When she's captured, her power will be taken away."

"What if someone else captures her before they can," I asked, "It's only fair that they get to make the choice and keep her. Alpha has had multiple chances and has failed at every turn."

"Let's bring it to vote. All in favor, say I," Elrod called out.

"I," the table answered.