Chapter 45

Pandora

Water dripped on my face, and the taste of iron filled my mouth. The cold metal floor was covered in damp hay. It was all dark, but a single glow of a lamp. Through the bars, a slumped-over figure was at a large desk scribbling away. Around me were more cages; to my left, a girl with long dark hair and a body too big for her enclosure looked over to me.

"He's coming again soon. Please stay quiet. You've done enough; you can die," Victoria said, turning over.

Her voice was barely above a whisper. That's right. If we're too loud, he will come. Her hastily stitched-up neck showed; it was still bleeding some. The loud scraping of metal on stone shook me to the core. His footsteps echoed against the walls as he walked along the row of cages. Her face gave me the first expression I'd seen in a while as her eyes widened.

"Stay quiet," she said, pushing to the back of her cage.

I kept my eyes on the lower part of the bars in my view. His footsteps stopped at the pen to my left. He hummed quietly to himself and reached in between the bars. She screamed and thrashed around.

Don't do that; it'll only excite him.

"Would you like to help me today? You won't be sorry," he said.

He pulled and slammed her into the door until I heard a crack. Victoria cried louder as Sebastian grabbed her wound and dug into it.

"Such a pretty color.

Pulling myself up was like ripping my own arms off. I guess I was loud because he glanced over at me. He wasn't amused. Victoria pleaded with her eyes, but she knew I couldn't.

"Does it come with a meal? Hell, I'll take some water that doesn't taste like ass," I said.

He shoved Victoria's arm back in, sending her flying into the floor. Sebastian stopped right in front of me and opened the door. I crumpled to the ground, glad it was warmer than the last.

"Do you wash your ass with the water and let it drip down on us? Or the Upper Realm can't afford the plumbing bill?"

A foot smashed my head into the stone, making my headache all the worse. He wasn't in a good mood even after my performance yesterday.

"You should be proud to drink Her Highness' bath water," he said, "Even that is too good for likes of you."

"You drink it by the case, huh?"

I saw stars as his boot crashed into my face. The kicks came over and over again until everything went dark. A chorus of rattling chains woke me and my heart dropped. The table.

He cranked the chains attached to the shackles until I screamed and tears poured down. My head felt light, but my vision wouldn't go dark. Sebastian used it; his special serum that overrides the brain. He had on one of his white suits.

"Let's see what's inside your soul," he said, pulling out a two prong tool.

I popped up to darkness with my body dripping wet. A rough hand touched my shoulder and I swung, falling onto something hard and gritty. Scrambling to my feet, my hands searched blindly around for something, anything.

"Pandora, calm down. It's okay," a sweet voice called out.
"Who's there? Where am I," I yelled.

"Mary. It's Mary and Sid. Remember?"

The last day replayed for me then the harsh reality settled in as I tried to strain my eyes to work. Her warm soft hands took mine and guided me. I bumped into everything that crossed my path until she helped me sit. She stroked my hair and something slid over a hard surface towards me.

"Eat. You've been sleep for a few days," she said.

"Where are we?"

"Just take it easy," Sid said, "We're safe. Thanks to you. We made it in one piece—well, alive."

"Your hand?"

"Your eyes. But Mary is fine. We'll live," he said, "It's not the South. I don't know where we are, but we found an abandoned city. No one comes through here and whatever wasn't destroyed we use."

"I'm sorry. I didn't—I don't know why it happened."

A chair pulled out next to me and it creaked under the pressure.

"You have nothing to apologized about. Get better."

"Your sight isn't permanent, is it," Mary asked.

I don't know if it is or if it will get better.

"I hope not. I don't know much about my abilities," I whispered.

This was the worst scenario. I would rather lose anything else, but my sight and hearing. I moved my hand towards where the food should be, but I bumped it and it tumbled to the floor.

"Stay where you are. I got it," Mary said, shuffling around.

Before I could say anything else, a warm liquid touched my lips and I leaned back.

"Oh! Is it too hot," she said, blowing.

"No, I'm sorry. I wasn't expecting it."

"Open."

The embarrassment tickled over me as I followed her directions. She deposited the soup in and promptly wiped my mouth.

"I can do it. Just hand me the spoon," I said.

"You'll make more of a mess and we need you to regain your strength. You can try tomorrow, okay?"

Sid chuckled, "Don't make that face. Listen to nurse Mary. Or she'll tie you down. Trust me, I had to learn the hard way."

His hand cupped mine and I nodded. Once my belly was full they helped me outside and we walked. The air was fresh with a hint of char and smoke. It was faint, but still there.

"Was something burning out here?"

"You can smell that," Sid asked, "Yeah, it looks like this small city was burned down."

"You're sure no one will come back here?"

"Don't worry. We're safe," he said, pulling me along.

"We found plenty of supplies here so, we haven't had to leave," Mary chimed in, "Even some equipment and books from Forsakea. I'll read to you toni—"

"What kind of equipment and books?"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Read ahead on Patreon or Inkitt