Chapter 53

Pandora

Sid and Mary left full and happy. It's all I could ask for. Mary and Nastri suggested I tell Cairo how I felt. It could go several ways. Mostly him telling me to go fuck myself. All day, my stomach did backflips. I even skipped the clubhouse.

"Are you dressed and ready?"

"How should one dress for their mutilation," I asked.

He leaned back in his chair and glanced in the bathroom, "A dark color will hide the blood–-good choice. The concoction the Shaman gave you will numb your head. Well, as much as possible."

"I don't feel well," I said.

He examined my face and waved for me to come closer. Cairo pressed a hand to my face. Not convinced, I'm sure. So, I gave him a tiny cough.

"I thought you would be jumping for joy about it."

"Why does everyone keep saying that?"

"It looks like you tried to saw them off already," he said, throwing his hands up.

"For fuck's sake! Not everyone in the Eastern clan are fans. No matter how much the Priestess lies to you."

The loud bang on the door drew our attention.

"Go away," Cairo yelled.

He rubbed his forehead, "We're running late. We need to go."

"I don't want to do it."

"You expect me to go out there and tell all of the guests that have traveled across the country to be here that it's not happening? You want me to go against the Priest?"

"I didn't ask to be a Forsaken—to be here. Most have a lifetime to learn and adjust to all of this, but I'm being punished for someone else's fuck up. I need more than a few months."

The door shook from the knocking. Cairo stomped over and ripped it back; his anger washed away at the two large frames. Rowen's and Nastri's stoic faces still bought a chill down my spine—it was unsettling.

"What's taking so long," Rowen asked.

Cairo stood there like a small animal caught in headlights. He was afraid of his father. Whatever he says goes. My body got hot, and the impulse to blink course through my veins.

"We're coming right now, but the ceremony isn't happening," Cario said, "I'll tell everyone and present them with gifts."

His answer was quick and quiet. If I wasn't mistaken, it looked like Cairo was trembling. Nastri's eyes were on me.

"I'm glad you took my advice. Communication between mates is important," he said

"We're trying, but I don't think it'll go over well with everyone," I said, looking at Rowen.

I wasn't sure if Forsaken had laser eyes are not, but his eyes were glowing brighter by the second.

"This isn't what we discussed, Nastri," Rowen said.

"I have no issue with canceling the ceremony. It isn't up to you or the Priest. It's up to Cairo and me," Nastri said.

They came face to face, and Nastri smiled. It was more offputting than his stoic look. I don't think he did it often with how crazed it looked.

"I don't believe we have spared before. I've been itching to have one with you," Nastri said.

Rowen took a step back and stormed off. Nastri's smile faded away. He looked like a sad kid that didn't get the present he wanted.

Nastri clasped his hand on Cairo's shoulder, "We should have a drink together."

***************

Casimir

I couldn't wrap my head around it. They managed to bring her in without any trouble—-she came willingly. Maybe it's hard to believe because I let her go on more than one occasion, and she could've been mine.

"Is there anything we can do," I asked.

Ares was brilliant and always had a plan to get what he wanted. He sat at his desk and stared blankly at his dark screen. His hair was a mess. I don't think he's left that spot since we got the news of her return. Owen has been in the gym day and night.

"The ritual will go as planned. We failed."

"We always fail, but that's never stopped you before," I said.

"Things are different now. I can't undermine the decisions of the Council," he said.

"Your first duty and responsibility are to us. Not that stupid group of old bastards."

Ares glared and flipped on his computer. I waited nearby for the verdict. There was always something that could be done.

"Shouldn't you be getting dressed," Ares asked.

I glanced down at my clothes. It was my ceremonial uniform—-a formal choice, but it was okay for something like this.

"Or a drink you should be drinking?"

I snapped my fingers and went to the kitchen. Can't believe I almost forgot. That would've been a disaster; the drinks at Alpha's parties taste like ass. If I start now, my buzz will make everything taste better.

*************

The Elite Tower was nice. All you can eat and drink, comfy rooms, and direct access to the clubhouse. We entered the ballroom, and the party had already started, but I didn't see Alpha or Pandora. Tables were scattered around the room—leaving plenty of room for the altar to be seen from any position. I pushed through the thin crowd for a table at the front. If Ares didn't come up with a plan, then I would just do what I did best.

"Cas," Owen called, "The seats are labeled."

I examined the little place cards at the seats and snorted. Fucking, of course—uppity til the day they die. We all knew where we would be seated—the most undesirable spot in the room—next to the toilets. Delta had better seats than us. Owen quickly poured me a cup once we got settled at our table. His warning gaze meant he knew exactly what I was planning.

After my fifth cup, I wasn't the only one wondering where the guests of honor were. Ballsy, keeping all of the leaders and politicians waiting like this. As the servant came around, the doors pushed open again. There they were with her trailing behind like she was an afterthought. Nastri and Cairo were unusually friendly as they grabbed the table up front.

Cain disinterested as usual, sat down, eyes glued to his device. Abel on the other hand had his eyes on Pandora. He pretended to listen to his date, but was failing miserably. She was failing to keep her emotions in check as she drank from her glass.

We would have to start her training all the way from the basics again. They're just letting her feed herself. What the hell was wrong with them? Her hands had better things to do.

The Council gathered on the other side of the room and Ares hopped up like they promised the sucking of a lifetime. Alpha went over as well as leaving Pandora alone at the table. Not one to sit still, she got up and headed in our direction. As Pandora closed in, my stomach clenched and a weird sensation took over. Our eyes met and her's went wide.

I would know that expression even if I was blind. Pandora thought she was in trouble and she would be right. I told her not to get captured until I caught her. She disappeared down the hall to the restrooms. My drink disappeared just as fast, but Owen was quicker.

"Don't. Not here," he whispered.

"What? Piss? Will you take it in for me then?"

"Casimir, I swear—"

I didn't wait for the rest cause it didn't matter what he said. I waited against the wall until I heard the flush. I couldn't help myself and ducked into the shadows. As she came out, Pandora stopped and glanced around, but missed the corner I was hidden in. Once her head was turned, I reached out and pulled her into the darkness.

AN:

You can read ahead on inkitt or patreon <3