Chapter 52

Pandora
Mary looked as worried as I felt, but I kept it to myself. She snaked her hand into mine and gave a small smile as we headed toward the dining area.
"I think Cairo likes you. He'll listen if you tell him you don't want to do it. I think."
"He likes what's between my legs and what I can do for him. For a guy like that, either you have something better, or you have to make him fear you."
"Talk to him. It couldn't hurt."
So optimistic—just like how Vicky used to be. Something I can't afford but entertain. Take the small happiness you can find.
"I bet my dessert that he'll say no."
"I bet it's a yes," she smiled.
As we approached the door, a tall man with straight horns and milky white eyes framed under thick dark brows stood there blocking it. His tan, olive skin was unblemished.
"Excuse us," I said.
"I've waited a long time to meet you," he said.
I couldn't tell if that was a good or bad thing from his face, but his vibrations were smooth and even. My deadeye showed a mass of bright swirling lights just like last night. He was one of the men that met us when we returned last night.
"My name is Zion Nastri. I'm your father," he said.
It was like the air was punched from my lungs. My body got hot. After all this time, he just walked up to me and announced his existence nonchalantly. Dry, no emotion, or apology.
"Join me for breakfast. I want to talk and—"
"I don't think so, General Nastri. Excuse me," I said.
His lips pressed together.
"One meal and a chance, please."
Mary squeezed my hand, and my eyes rolled on their own accord. If she was going to be this persistent, I might have to start leaving her behind with Sid.
"Fine. Can we go inside now?"
He held the door open for us as we entered the giant space. The two long tables filled with food and drinks made my mouth water. The room was mostly empty besides a few couples and stragglers. My stomach was touching my back as I sat down. Mary stood behind me.
"What are you doing? Sit. Eat," I said.
"Slaves and attendants aren't allowed at the table," Nastri said.
These rules and customs were starting to annoy me in the worst way. He sat across from me and started to pile food onto his plate.
"I ate earlier. Don't worry about me. Enjoy yourself," she said.
I started with the crispy fried meats and almost cried from the flavor. The food was always fresh, hot, and amazing in this clan. Finding anything that wouldn't make you sick in the Eastern Clan was hard.
"Have you ever met her? Your mother," he asked.
"Your mate? No. Another woman raised me. Celia. Do all Forsaken couples make it a habit of abandoning their children in the forest?"
His fork slowed down, and he looked up.
"We don't. Your mother fell in with some bad people and took you right after you were born. I was away at the time."
"Treacherous deeds, I'm told."
"Yes. You take after her from what I'm told—starting a rebellion in the Eastern Clan. Gave Alpha and Beta a hard time during your capture. Then this recent escape," he shook his head.
"Is that why?"
"Why, what?"
"You all want to take my horns."
"It was a group decision between myself, Cairo, and Rowen. I won't lie and say it's for your protection. You make people nervous—fearful."
"What about you? Do I make you nervous and fearful?"
"No. I just want you to stay."
"Some members of my team tried to make my horns a trophy and it didn't end well for them," I said.
He chuckled, "Of that, I'm sure."
Mary bumped my back, catching Nastri's attention as well. Persistent Patty. He gingerly wiped his mouth with the white cloth napkin.
"I—would prefer not to lose my horns."
"As would I. That's something you need to express to Cairo," he said, "I'll support your notion."
I nodded. That was surprising. Was he trying to make up for years of absence?
"Could we do this again? Have a meal together and talk," he said, "I would like to get to know you and for you to know me."
"Gonna teach me to drive too?"
"I'll meet you at your room; then we'll walk down together. I have to go."
He left his plate at the table. Once the door closed behind him, I pulled Mary onto the bench next to me. She panicked and jumped up.
"I can't."
"Are you sure you don't want any? I can just take some and bring it back to the room," I said.
She eyed the table, "Maybe something for Sid. He's putting that bed together with one hand."
I grabbed a plate and got a little bit of everything and a cup of juice. The mountain of food earned me some looks. It was hard balancing it, but we made it back to the room without spilling anything. Sid was propped up against a wall near the splintered wood.
"Are you finished," I asked.
"As long as you and your new man hump with caution," he said.
"Keep talking like that; Mary and I will eat your food," I said.
"Let's not be hasty now," he smiled.
The new bed looked sturdy, but I doubt it will be getting another workout. Sid was already at the small table digging into the food. Once he came up for air, Sid downed half of the cup.
"So, what's our plan," he asked.
"Plan?"
"Yes, we're not staying here living like this. None of us are suited for it. I know you have something in mind; let's hear it," he said.
"Surviving. Learning. Maybe there will be an opportunity in the future," I said, "Doing anything now would be stupid."
Sid grumbled and went back to eating. It would buy me time. I couldn't tell him I was afraid—afraid of losing more people. Failing everyone who ever believed in me.