Chapter 35

Pandora

I tried all night and couldn't blink anywhere. Whenever I tried, it felt like my head was splitting open. None of my other abilities worked either then I remembered the General drugged me while I was unconscious. I just needed to wait until it wore off and take my chance. Cairo stayed on the couch, his eyes were closed, but I couldn't tell if he was really asleep or not. Not wanting to risk it, I propped myself up against the headboard and forced my eyes to stay open.

"Go to sleep," Cairo said.

"Sleep in the room with the jackass that tried to kill me?"

"I wasn't. You laid down a challenge, and I accepted it. You also scarred my face, and now I have to sleep a few feet away from you. I can't sleep until you do first," he said, cracking an eye open.

"I guess neither one of us will be sleeping then," I said.

Cairo sat up and sighed. He went into the bathroom, and the drawers opened and closed. Standing in the doorway, he popped the top off a bottle of pills and poured a few in his hand.

"I have training in a few hours. So, either close your eyes, or I'll help you."

Panic set in; I was defenseless without my weapons or abilities. Being drugged up under his mercy wasn't ideal neither was being submissive under his thumb. I slowly laid down while keeping my eyes on him.

"Fine," I said.

He walked over to the bed, and I crawled to the other side. It was the first time I noticed his features. His hair was in a big wild fro, eyes dark as night, a scar running from cheekbone to chin, and a body frame larger than most. Cairo held out his hand and presented the pills to me.

"I said, fine. I don't need it. I'll sleep on my own."

"I don't believe you."

When I didn't move, he retracted his hand and kneeled on the bed. I tried to slide off the edge, but he grabbed the comforter and gave it a hard pull, taking me along with it. In the confusion, I rolled right into him. He hooked his fingers into the collar around my neck. There was only enough space for my neck; his thick fingers made it tighten.

"Open," he said.

My lips pressed tighter together. He added another finger, and the pressure increased. Breathing became a lot harder; my wheezing filled the space between us.

"Tsk. Don't make this ugly. Open. Your. Mouth."

I cocked my head to the side that wasn't happening. He smiled and pinched my nose. I clawed at his hands as the little air I had left disappeared. My eyes watered when I finally took a breath. As I inhaled, he jammed the pills in and covered my mouth. He didn't let up until he was sure I swallowed them.

"Thank you," he said, "Now, let's take this off."

The collar popped off and fell onto the bed. After I caught my breath, I pulled my fist back aimed for his face. It made contact, but it didn't feel right. Cairo didn't flinch nor make a sound. My body got heavy, and the dark corners of my sight started to creep to the middle. It was like free-falling.

"I'll see you in the morning."

****************

Abel

It broke my heart how I left her without saying anything, but I have to keep my word to Cairo. For the sake of our team and our goal. I stayed nearby just in case. No matter how tough she pretends to be, I knew she was scared. Pandora lost everything, and now she's on a different journey altogether. Their voices weren't loud enough to make out through the door, but the springs in Cairo's bed could wake the dead.

There were tousling around in there; that much was apparent. My nails bit into my palm. On the first night? Was she trying to get back at me? My hand wrapped around the doorknob when my back was slammed into a wall. Cain clenched the back of my neck and dragged me off. He hasn't done that since we were kids.

"Don't get involved," Cain said, "He will kill you. The General already wants you dead. A bride is ready for me, but you will take her and bury any hope of you and Pandora. This should give them a reason not to kill you, and you can fulfill your duties."

Cain handed me an envelope. It would contain a picture and a date to meet the woman. He placed his hands on either side of my face and stared at me, then embraced me.

"She was a great pick. Both of you cared for each other deeply, but you have a station and duty just like her. No amount of love will change that. Only blood will," Cain said, "I don't want it to be yours. So, listen to your big brother. Smother your love and heart."

Cain left after his last statement. Red smear marks were on the white envelope as I tucked it into my pocket. Forget her? Forget what we had? I don't know if I would be able to do that. I thought I could just turn it off.

My feet began to move on their own away from Cairo's room, and when I stopped, I was in town standing at the door of a building. Underworld, my favorite brothel. The scent alone sent me into a frenzy, remembering my night at Utopia with Pandora.

"Welcome back, the usual," the hostess asked.

I nodded, and she guided me to my standard room with my favorite whore. One thing I knew for sure, I wouldn't give my heart to anyone else, but my body was a different story. Drowning myself in liquor and women didn't seem like a bad idea. It was better than marrying someone I didn't know for life.