Chapter 13

Ares

"You were cutting it pretty close back there, Cas. Damn," I growled as the healer patches up my neck.

"It was necessary. Her instincts were sharp," Casimir said, sipping on a drink.

"Bullshit," I said, throwing the Healer's clipboard at his head. He managed to duck in time.

"All that matters is we are closer to our goal," Owen said with a wide smile. I haven't seen him like this since we made Beta status. He's right; the hard part is over now.

"How will the Priest convince the Priestess," I asked.

"We'll know later today after all the formalities are taken care of," he pauses for a moment and beams, "We need to prepare in case he's successful."

"He better be," Casimir said, pouring another drink.

"We also would need to be on guard. Cairo isn't known for taking defeat well," he said with a satisfied smirk.

I made my way to the door.

"Where are you headed," Owen asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I'm off to celebrate our great victory," I said.

I had a few things I wanted to pick up for our prize.

"Don't be late tomorrow, or you'll have to walk back this time," Casimir said.

Casimir and Owen burst into laughter, probably thinking of a few years ago. I indulged too heavily at Utopia. I had the time of my life but missed the departure. I shake off the memory and head out the door. As I make my way down the hall, I can still hear their laughter bouncing off the walls.

****

Pandora

Cold, moist droplets smack my face; a sea of darkness laid out before my eyes.

Vicky!

The sea of black spins as I prop myself up on my elbows. My heart begins to pound in my chest when my legs fail to complete my command, sending me to the cold hard floor. My good arm hunts through the emptiness to find a door.

My belt buckle scraped the stone as I pulled my lame legs with the bit of strength that remained. My seeking hand gripped a cool bar as I pulled myself closer. I guess they're opting for a public execution. It makes sense to deter anyone from challenging again. What they fail to realize is, this is not just a personal vendetta. It is the collective saying no more. Silencing my squad or me will have no effect; the floodgates are already broken. A door creaked open, bringing light in. My hand blocked the sudden intrusion.

Is it my squad? Or time to die.

Three figures with horns stood before me, then as if magic, the lights flicked on. My eyes quickly adjust, seeing my captors. I pulled myself into a seated position and leaned against the bars.

"Such a cold welcome, and here we thought you would be grateful for a second chance at life," Casimir said.

"Is Victoria alive," I asked.

"Who?"

"The woman that was with me."

The room became quiet as a graveyard.

I clenched the material covering my heart and took a ragged breath. Tears threaten to break the surface, but I force them back. A warm, rough hand touches my shoulder almost as if to console me. My mind wasn't sure, but my body was as I broke into tears.

"Get your hand off of me," I said.

I was sure it sounded as pathetic as I felt.

He released his embrace, "What's your name?"

"You've forgotten already," I asked.

"Should we revisit the topic of lies?"

"What do you guys want," I asked.

"You forfeit your life. We now own it in exchange for paying off your crimes here. When we return to Forsakea, you will face punishment for your crimes committed against the Clan. After which, you will live to serve us in every way," Casimir said.

The feeling in my legs starts to awaken.

I turned to face them, "What happened to my squad? Is anyone alive?"

My knuckles turned white as they cling to the bars waiting for some good news, hope.

"You are no longer a leader. You should be asking how you may make yourself useful to us," Owen said, pushing past Casimir.

I placed my back on the bars again, staring at the stone wall.

"We'll fix that attitude of yours soon enough."

I turned and gave him the most defiant glare I could muster, only to meet an intense dominating pressure that radiated from him.

My breathing picked up as that lower throb started to hum. My nipples began to harden under my shirt. A smile spread on his face as if he knew my body's treacherous response. I keep my face towards the wall to hide my shame.

Asshole.

"You don't have long to hide," Ares sneered from his position leaning on the door.

"We'll be back to collect you later. Make peace with your former self," Owen said as they left me in the dark again.

My fingers dig into the stone floor at my slow realization of my current situation, at my failures. A few hours pass when the door slams open—the sound of boots thumping against the floor.

My eyes burn at the sudden burst of light, "Pandora, Let's go!"

The cell door swung open. I get to my feet as my eyes adjust to meet my savior.

"Adam! I'm glad you're okay," I reached out and squeezed him tight.

"We gotta go now!"

He pulled from my embrace and grabbed my hand as he led me out of the room.

"Have you seen Victoria," I asked.

"Let's focus on getting you out of here first. Elijah and a few of the others are waiting for us," he said, without looking back.

We made our way through the halls, careful not to cross anyone's path. The fresh air filled my lungs as the gravel crunched under my feet. The trees flashed by as we dashed through the woods heading to our safe haven. Our reunion is sweet. We're not done yet, to the last.