Chapter 49

Pandora

The chill left me quickly, and it wasn't as bad as before, but my stomach still churned. Thanks to Cairo's unforgiving hold, I managed to stay on my feet this time. Before settling myself, I saw a spark, a glow in my vision. My eyes bounced around, trying to find it. New waves of vibrations filled my sight, masses of swirling tiny lights taking on the form of a body. I couldn't make out the features, but they were people.

"I can call back the search party then."

This voice was new. It had deep tones with traces of a light playfulness. One of the masses moved closer. His energy was like a mountain being dropped on me. I couldn't tell if he was looking at me or not.

"Why is she like this?"

"It's how we found her," Cairo said.

"I know that, but why isn't it fixed?"

That playfulness disappeared.

"I thought you would want to see her as soon as possible."

"Take care of it before tomorrow night and make sure no one sees her. Kill the rest of them; they know the punishment for escaping."

I squeezed Cairo's arm and slightly turned my head towards him.

"They're her attendants. She's attached to them."

"We have rules for a reason. A reward is out of the question."

"It's a mating gift and reminder of my merciful nature."

A glowing freezing hand cupped my cheek, and I pulled back.

"You're foolish if you think that'll work. Preparations for the Angnikai are almost complete."

Angnikai? It sounded familiar. A ritual, but I didn't remember what it meant. The masses of lights disappeared. Cairo held my hand as we walked and made turns. His grip was firm but delicate. He helped me avoid hitting anything which surprised me. Eventually, we stopped. Feeling around, I found a door.

"Escort them to some empty rooms, and we'll meet tomorrow before the dinner," Cairo said.

He opened the door and led me inside.

"I want to see where they'll be staying," I said.

"See?"

"You know what I mean."

"Tomorrow. You heard your father; your eyes take priority."

The air was sucked from my lungs. Father? That arctic touch was the mirror reflection of how I felt. I gave up after spending countless nights waiting and hoping they would come back for me. I've spent my whole life separating myself from them, promising never to shed another tear or thought for them.

"I don't have a father. The Priestess killed my mother."

"Alana? When?"

"Celia. Her name was Celia."

His footsteps went away from me, and water echoed from across the room. I followed the sound and bumped the corner of something. A big hand grabbed my upper arm and guided me into the bathroom. Buckles clanked, and heavy fabrics fell to the floor.

"Take off your clothes. You're filthy," he said.

"What are you doing?"

My dress came flying up and over my head.

"Helping you," he said, "Watch your step."

His gentle touch as he helped me climb in left me on edge. The water moved around me as his legs brushed against mine. He gave a quiet sigh once he was fully seated.

**************

Cairo

Her facial expressions were so much easier to read while she was like this. She was shocked and embarrassed that I undressed her. My eyes stayed above her chest as I removed her clothes. Not like it mattered at this point or if she would believe that I did.

Pandora sat in a ball with her knees pulled to her chest. Getting her back here went better than anything I could've hoped for. It was surprising that she had a heart at all to save the slaves.

"Soap?"

She took it from me and began to wash the dirt and grime from her skin. All of them smelled like the ass crack of a farm. I wondered if Pandora would stick to her promise. She dipped her head forward into the water and washed her hair. I emptied the tub and refilled it again. She stood up, but I grabbed her by the wrist.

"Sit."

To my surprise, she did without a snarky comment. I took my turn and washed up. Pandora kept her head forward. Abel's advice still circled my mind: don't be an asshole. That's all I knew, and women loved me for it. They practically jumped me in the hallways and street just for five minutes with me.

"You can lean back if you want," I said.

She glanced back for a second and slowly leaned back until her shoulders touched my chest. Pandora tensed up. I had no clue what to say to get this started. I doubt she would care for one of my usual lines. So, tactically, I just listened to her breathe and the dripping faucet. The hot water would relax us both and buy me some time to develop something worth saying.

"I'm tired," she said.

Understandably, I did wake her. It's late; close to midnight. Her snuggling with slaves left a bad taste in my mouth. She was at peace, blind and all. I wanted her at peace with me—just me. Pandora's vibrations were more of an ebb and flow. It was like she was fading.

"Before we go to bed, I wanted to ask you something," I said.

"Sid and I are just friends," she said.

I was wondering, but it wasn't my question. Good to know that I don't have to make him disappear. It's even better that she's not a loose girl. I could possibly trust her alone with other men.

"That wasn't my question. Do you enjoy those sick games Abel plays during sex?"

"Sick," she scoffed, sitting up.

Oh, fuck. She faced me with a disgusted look. Well, can't take it back now.

"It's weird. The names he wants to be called, the toys, hitting, choking—should I go on?"

"You don't like rough stuff," she asked.

"No. That time should be special. You're giving yourself to another person. Even if it's a one-nighter, you're showing that imitate side to another."

"It's the same thing," she whispered, "Just darker and rougher than what you're used to. We give ourselves, knowing that the other person might not accept it. Then we're rejected, ridiculed, and ostracized for it."

"Do you have to have it?"

"No, I want it. Abel won't even do half the things I want," she laughed.

I hated where the conversation was going, but I wanted to know what lines Abel wouldn't cross. He wouldn't do it, but maybe I could.

"What do you want? What would he not do?"

Her face traveled the miles and her vibrations took off.

"I don't want to say."

Now, I really wanted to know.

"Tell me."

She squirmed a bit then looked at me.

"Let's see how tonight goes first. Do good, and I'll tell you."

I smiled, that was as good as done.

~*~*~*~*~*

You can read ahead on Inkitt !