The Letter

"Bethany May Violet, get down here NOW!" Ugh. What could she possibly want now? Mum always interrupted my afternoons of reading for the most tedious tasks.

"Yes mother!" I huff while descending the stairs, wishing I could go back to reading my classics. I meet up with her in the kitchen, "what do you need, mum?"

"Ah. Finally, you are down here - took you long enough! Anyway, I just wanted to tell you... Oh where is it now!" I watched my mom as she sorted through the papers on our kitchen counter. Finally, she pulled out a cream-colored envelope with a strange wax crest holding it shut. "This came in the mail for you today."

I looked at the envelope. This is really strange. I mean I get letters from my grandparents sometimes, but this was something different. I opened the letter and read the first line aloud to my mother who was watching closely.

"Dear Miss Violet,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."

I gasped at what the letter said. I didn't know what to think of it. Is this some joke the neighbor boys are playing on me again, they always were knocking over our trash or hiding a book left behind by me outside. As my mind was turning on who to blame for this utter nonsense, my mother let out a huge scream that blasted my ear drums.

"Oh Bethany, I knew one day this would happen!" she exclaimed pausing to take a deep breath, "I'm so happy for you! We have to go to Diagon Alley before your term starts. We can do that next Monday. Oh, and we will have to explain to your father what is going on. Poor dear doesn't know what we are. I will have to call your school, let them know you won't be continuing-"

I interrupted her, "Mother! What are you talking about?"  

Finally, she stopped talking to herself and turned to me with a great smile. "Oh Bethany, I'm sorry I couldn't tell you before it's just that I'm not allowed unless a child of mine possesses magical abilities. I noticed a few things with you here and there but nothing to ever confirm my suspicions. Dear, you're a witch and you have been accepted into the best school for young witches and wizards!"

Okay now I'm confused. A witch? Witches are not real and magic schools? I mean they come from fairy-tails and myths but, a REAL witch? Not possible. "Okay funny mother. You can stop with the joke now."

"No Bethany. You really are a witch. Here let me show you." She started looking through the drawer and pulled out what I thought was a stick, but muttered a few words I couldn't understand, and my mouth dropped. Pots and pans were now floating around my head and through the kitchen.

In complete amazement I looked at my mother who put the pots back into place in seconds and asked, "When do I start!?"