Friends?

The feast had ended and I quickly got the password from our new prefect. "Loyalty. Easy enough. Thanks!" I said to him.

"Yeah." Said the 5th year boy.

I hurried out of the great hall and found Cedric waiting for me. "Hey!" I said approaching him.

"She speaks. So why didn't you write this summer? Am I that bad?" he asked.

"No! No! It's not you at all it was me. I was going through a... Difficult time this summer." I said.

He looked confused, as he should be, but asked, "What do you mean difficult. Come on you can tell me."

Having to tell this over and over was getting to be emotionally tolling today, but I knew It needed to be done. "I'm sorry. It's just that-that my dad died this summer."

The look of confusion and sadness hit him. "Wait what? Your dad?"

I nodded my head telling him it was true. Before I could say anything else he grabbed me and hugged me. I just let him. Just like Fred and George he grew about a foot over the summer, so I was hugging his midsection. He let me go and like everyone else said, "I'm sorry. I bet you two were close."

"Yeah, we were. It's just weird because I learned this past year, he isn't my biological father. That doesn't even matter though, I don't know my actual dad so he is my only father for all I care about." I told him.

"Well, no matter who your biological father is, I can tell you miss you dad a lot. Now I must get to the common room soon, I don't want to get us in trouble on the first day. I'll see you soon, okay?" He gave me one last smile and went on his way, and I went on mine.

Back in the common room the usual group was sitting at a table talking but when they all saw me, they all became quiet and Fred got up and left. Lee later followed him, and they went to their dorm room.

"Uhm. What's going on?" I asked.

"Oh nothing we were just talking." Said Lucy.

"Talking about what? Me perhaps?" I snapped back.

"No-well yes, we were. But it wasn't like that! We were just talking about you and Cedric." Said George.

"What about him?" I asked now, curious about what they were talking about him for.

"Well, you see I thought that-that you-you-you... Uh." George muttered.

"Spit it out, that I what?" I said growing impatient.

"Beth. We all thought you liked Fred. Now you are buddy-buddy with Cedric? Well, who is it?" George asked.

I didn't even think of either of them that way. I mean I'm only 12 for crying out loud.

"Guys, I don't like either of them. I've been friends with both of them for a long while now and I don't think of either of them like that." I told Lucy and George.

"Ah, well never mind then." Said George.

"What's up with Fred then?" I asked. "As soon as he saw me, he left the room."

"Oh, you know Freddie. He gets jealous quick. He just thought Cedric was stealing his best friend." Said Lucy.

"Maybe I should go talk to him." I said walking up to the boys dorms.

"Wait we can't get into the girls dorms. So, you can't get into the boys." Said George.

"One. How do you know that, George? Two. Have you ever read a book? Three. Hogwarts, A History. The founders all agreed that girls are more trustworthy than boys. So, they cast a spell so boys can't enter the girls dorms." I said.

"Oh well then. Be my guest." Said George.

So, I walked my way up the stairs up to the boys dorm. I knocked on the door and walked in to see Lee and Fred taking across from each other.

"I was just wondering if I could just talk to Fred for a little bit." Lee nodded and got up looking at me; he whispered, "good luck." And walked out the door.

"Hey Freddie." I said walking over to his bed and sitting next to him. I waited for him to say something, but nothing came. "Soo. I guess I'll just start. Fred, no one can ever replace you. You are and always will be my best friend. Don't tell Lucy, but you are above her in my books." I said hoping to crack a smile out of him. He just sat there though. "Fred. Say something!"

He finally turned to me and looked me straight in the eye. "I know I don't know what I was thinking. I just. I... I love... I love having you around. I don't want Cedric to get in the way of our friendship."

"Oh, Fred he will never come between us!" I said now happy that he understood what was going on. "Well, I'm going to go before more guys come up here. Night, Freddie."

"Goodnight Bethany." I looked at him strangely because he never called me Bethany, but oh well. I walked back up to my dorm and went straight to bed.