Holiday Approaching

I was finally released from the hospital a week after I woke up. I missed a total of 19 days of school, so I had a lot of makeup work to finish. I was just finishing my essay over wolfsbane when someone sat next to me in the library. I turned my head from my essay and saw Cedric.

"Oh. Hey Ced." I said.

"Hey Beth. I saw you working on that essay for potions and was wondering if you would like some notes?" he asked.

"No. I'm okay. Fred took some for me in class and they are really good. I've just been using my book to do some extra background reading," I told him.

"Ah. Well just thought I would ask. Anyway how are you?" he asked.

"Oh, you know. Just got knocked out for 12 days. No big deal." I said sarcastically. Seeing his face I continued, "in all seriousness, I'm doing a lot better. My head used to throb all the time but now it is barely there. Madam Pomfrey can work some magic let me tell you."

"I believe you." He said laughing a little. "Anyway, I better get going. I just wanted to see how you were doing and congratulate you on the win for Gryffindor. You flew amazingly out there!"

"Oh well. Thanks." I said blushing a little bit.

"Anyway. I'll see you later! Let me know if you need help with any of the assignments!" He said getting up from the table and walking away.

"Bye Ced!" I called after him.

A few hours later I finished 2 more of my makeup essays and called it a night. While heading back up to the common room I saw my owl, Moe, coming at me with a letter in toe. When he landed on a nearby perch I took the letter from his beak and told him to go to the owlery. He gave me a small hoot and went on his way. I waited to open the letter till I got back to my dorm so I could read it in silence because I saw the handwriting and saw it was from my mum.

"Dear Bethany,
I am so sorry about this, but I'm afraid that I am going to be traveling over the holidays for some extra work for the Ministry. I don't care if you go to a friend's house or stay at Hogwarts just let me know so I know where to find you!
With Love,
Mum."

Although I was happy, I could possibly stay at a friend's house over the holidays I was also upset that my mum had to travel. I wanted to spend our first Christmas without dad together. Instead of thinking about it even more I decided to forget about the whole thing and go to bed.

"Thank Merlin that's over. But really? A 2 foot essay over the properties of... What was it again?" Said Fred as we were walking out of our last transfiguration class of the term.

"The Misuses of Transfiguration. Not properties. You should really continue your note taking." I said laughing a little.

"So, what are your plans for the holiday? Going anywhere special with your mum?" he asked.

"Actually I'm not going anywhere. My mum is traveling with the Ministry over the whole holiday. So, looks like I'll be staying here." I said starting to feel sad.

"What? Wait! You are not going anywhere! Neither are George and the rest of our family. Mum and dad want to visit Bill over the holiday! We are staying at Hogwarts too" said Fred getting excited.

"Really!? That's awesome! And here I thought I was going to be alone over the holiday!" I said feeling relieved.

"Well, you are going to be wishing you were alone over the holiday." Said Fred with a wink.

"Oh please, you two are nothing I can't handle. Hey, I'll catch you later. I need to sign up to stay here over the holidays and let my mum know where I'm going to be staying. See you later!"

"Bye." He said walking up the stairs as I went out to the owlery.

"Dear Mum,
Staying at Hogwarts over the holiday. Fred and George will be here too so it won't be too bad. Love you lots!
Bethany."

The final feast of the term was taking place when people were packing to leave. Lucy and Lee were going home over the holidays so the only Gryffindors staying were Oliver Wood, the Weasley clan, and myself. Overall, I wasn't that disappointed. I knew everyone staying here and we all get along fine so we should have a good time.

"Excuse me miss." Said a voice from behind me.

I turned around to see Cedric smiling and holding a little package. "Oh Hey! What's up? Are you leaving over the holidays?" I asked.

"Yeah, my parents and I are going to Australia to visit my aunt and uncle. Should be fun. But I just wanted to say goodbye before I left and give you this." He said holding out the package.

"Oh, Cedric you didn't have to do that. But thank you! Do you want me to open it now or wait?" I asked.

"Wait. You'll enjoy it. But promise you'll send a letter telling me how you like it!" He said now looking at me sternly.

"I'll have to think about that last part." I said smiling. "Of course, I'll send you a letter! But thank you so much!" I got up to give him a quick hug. And we said a quick goodbye before he headed off to the train.

"Good god. I never thought it would end." Said George.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Nothing!" Said the twins in unison.

"Sure..." I said eyeing them. "Anyway. Looks like it's snowing outside. You guys know what that means?"

"Hell yeah we do." They said together.

We started talking about what we would do tomorrow if enough snow fell. Wewanted to start a tradition where every year at Christmas time we would have asnowball fight. Last year we had one on the last day of break, now that we havethe whole holiday together, we should have plenty of time to have one... or five.