By the Fire

Other than the few people that stayed at Hogwarts over the Christmas break I was the first one back. My mother and I traveled to Hogsmeade by the Knight Bus where we said our goodbyes. From here I waited for a carriage to arrive to pick me up and take me to the castle. Once there I went straight to the common room and to my dormitory where I put my belongings away and changed into some sweats and a cozy sweatshirt. I grabbed a book and cozied up by the fire and read for a few hours. I was expecting people to be arriving soon, but it looks like almost everyone was waiting till Friday to come back. Coming to the realization that no one would be coming for the next few days I got rather sad with the loneliness I was dealing with.

The next morning, I went down to breakfast in the Great Hall where there was only one table to sit at. Realizing that the only open space was next to a boy my age from Hufflepuff or a nasty looking sixth year boy from Slytherin I chose the boy my age.

"Hello, I'm Cedric. You might have known that already, but I wanted to properly introduce myself. You must be Bethany Violet. Am I correct?" Said the boy now known to me as Cedric.

"Yes. But you can just call me Beth if you like, most of my friends do anyway." I said while grabbing a few pieces of toast and some eggs.

"Well, I personally like your actual name. Bethany. It has a nice ring to it," he said with a smile.

I smiled and turned pink. I was never complemented so much in one setting.
"Well thanks."

He finished chewing his pancake and asked me, "so get anything worth talking about for Christmas? I got a Comet 260 racing broom."

I sat there silently thinking to myself. What did I get that was interesting for Christmas?

"Well, I mean I don't know if it's worth taking about but my best friend Fred Weasley got me this bracelet." I said holding out my wrist. I wasn't expecting him to be all that interested in the bracelet but when he took my hand and looked closer at the charm, I felt my face going an even deeper shade of red.

"Wow. I wish I had a friend like yours. Not saying that I want a bracelet, but you guys must really be close if they got you something this nice."

"Well, it all started with him knocking me down in Diagon Alley, but George and him have always been there for me. They are basically the brothers that I always wanted." I said.

"Well anyways. I'm finished with my food, I can walk you to your floor of you like?" he asked while getting up from his spot.

"I mean I wouldn't want to walk up seven flights of stairs willingly just to have to go back down a few but whatever you want." I said eating my last bite of toast.

"Well we are friends now right? I just want to get to know you better." He said smiling a devilishly handsome smile.

"Alright Mr. We Are Friends Now, walk me to my common room." I demanded from him this time.

"Oh god, why did I have to pick the sassy one." He said sarcastically while rolling his eyes.

We continued our talk to the Gryffindor common room where we said our goodbyes and he went walking back down the stairs. I went up to the fat lady and said the password, "hippogriff" and walked into the common room to meet two very familiar faces waiting for me.