The April Fool

Christmas is now long in the past and school is the same as ever. Teachers are preparing us for finals already and everything is becoming more and more stressful. It is March 31st so we only have few months of school left and only a few months left to prepare for finals.

"WAIT LUCY. I was just thinking! It is March 31st right?" I half yell at Lucy across the dorm room.

"Yes, why?" she says looking at me curious.

"The twins! It is their birthday tomorrow! We always make a cake for them the night before and everything and we completely forgot!" I say flustered and upset.

"Ohhh." says Lucy probably feeling the same way I feel. "What are we going to do? We don't have time to make a cake or anything tonight! It's already almost past midnight!"

I start pacing the room. What can we do so the boys don't think we forgot their birthday... Then it hits me. "That's it! We forget their birthday!"  I say to Lucy.

"Beth. We can't forget their birthday, we would be the worst friends."

"Or the best. It's April Fools day right? We can steal their title as pranksters for a day and pull the biggest prank ever!"

"Wait.... are you saying what I think you are saying? Forget their birthday on purpose and late in the day go all April Fools on them and say it was all a joke?"

"EXACTLY! It may sound dumb at first but, if we eventually act on it enough it may just work. Act like it is any other day, nothing special at all, do not even mention April Fools, its just any other day tomorrow." I say smiling from ear to ear.

"You my friend are evil." says Lucy as she climbs into bed as the other girls in our dorm come piling into the room.

Lucy and I wake up semi-early the next morning and make our way to the kitchens to ask a few house elves to make a small cake, enough for a few people to eat, that says "Happy Birthday and April Fools" on it. A few of them look at us oddly but sure enough a few shake our hands and tell us to be back in a few hours to check on the cake. We are making our way to the Great Hall for breakfast when all the sudden we run into Cedric.

"Hey Beth. Lovely day out today, don't you think?" says Cedric.

"Yeah, it looks fairly decent out today, why?" I say curious as to why Cedric is acting all weird.

"Oh, I was wondering if you maybe wanted to study for Transfiguration out in the courtyard today after class? We do have that exam coming up and it nice to have someone who knows what they are doing to study with." he says while looking anywhere but my eyes.

"Sure! But it can only be for a hour or so... is that alright?" I say remembering that today is any other simple day.

"That's all I have time for also. So right after class? Meet you in the entrance hall?"

"Sounds perfect!" says Lucy. "Now sorry to interrupt plans for your date, but we have to go eat. I'm starving!"

"Oh, of course. Sorry." says Cedric, now blushing.

"Don't worry about it Ced, i'll see you after class!" I say waving to him as Lucy pulls me away.

Lucy pulls me right up to the Gryffindor table and finally says, "Damn. How do you do it?"

"Do what?" asks Fred who is sitting on the other side of the table, from where we are standing.

"She landed herself a date with Cedric today after class."

"Lucy! It isn't a date, we are just studying together!" I say starting to feel my cheeks go red.

"Oh a date? I was thinking we could do something for George and my bir-" but before he can say birthday I hurriedly  knock over a goblet of pumpkin juice and say,

"Whoops! My flaut! Look at the mess I made! Anyway this toast is AMAZING today!" I try and say as many things as I can think of to divert the attention away from Cedric and from the twins Birthday.

"Yeah, I guess the toast is fine." says George. Who looks a little hurt, but I promise I will make it up to them later. "We better make our way to class." We all gather our bags and make our way to Potions. Throughout the class I am making mental notes as to what to get put together for the birthday party tonight, it is also Friday so we can say up late and not worry about others being bugged by us.

Finally, classes are over and I make my way to the entrance hall to meet Cedric. I turn the corner and see him waiting for me right at the doorway.

"Well, hey there! Let's go study shall we?" I say. He shakes his head in agreement and we make out way to the courtyard and find an open bench to sit at. We talk for a good thirty minutes about the theory's we learned in class the other day when he stops talking. "You okay Ced?"

"I like you Beth." he says looking right into my eyes.

"I like you too Cedric." I say laughing.

"No, Beth you don't understand. I really like you. You are so beautiful and I just can't hold it in anymore. I think I have liked you for a long time now, but I just didn't know how to tell you."

I have nothing to say. Cedric likes me? I knew he acted weird around me sometimes, but I never thought anything of it. I try and think of words to say, but instead all that comes out of my mouth is , "oh."

Cedric looks away, "I knew I shouldn't have told you."

"No, Cedric. I am glad you did tell me, but I can't lie to you. I don't think I like you  like that. Plus we are too young for this. I mean my last relationship was awful, and I have matured a little bit since then to realize I was young and what I thought was in love. Maybe if in a few years we are still friends and something happens we can give it a try, but for now what you and I need are each other as friends."

"I am sorry. I shouldn't have said anything. I just look at you and I know. I know you and I are supposed to be something more. If you want me to wait I will. I will wait forever if I have to, but you are what I want someday Bethany Violet." he gathers his things and walks away. I am speechless, he just did that. I shake my head and head back to the common room.

It's about 11 at night and Lucy and I have gathered a few of Fred and Georges friends to help celebrate their birthday. We have the cake and presents set out at a table, and we sent Lee to get the boys from their dorm. We hear their footsteps coming from the steps.

"Bloody hell, could they by more obnoxious?" asks Ron as I gently elbow him, signaling him to shut up.

We all wait, and as they turn the corner the small group of us yell, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRED AND GEORGE!!!" and immediately their solemn faces turn a bright red and they are smiling from ear to ear.

"April Fools, we didn't forget!" I say to Fred and George as they pass by.

"Wait you did this?" asks Fred.

"You sound surprised! I'm offended." I say jokingly.

"No we just thought that you honestly forgot!" he says as he come in for a hug. "Thanks Beth. This is the best birthday ever, especially sense you planned it."

Fred pulls away and I stop him. "Wait!" I stand on my tip toes and gently kiss his cheek. "That's for being calm and not complaining all day. Happy Birthday Fred."

He grabs the spot on his cheek where I kissed him and blushes to a deep red color. "BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!" He suddenly screams as he makes his way to the table full of cake. Before he helps himself to a piece of cake, he find me in the crowd of people and with those dreamy eyes looks right into my eyes and winks, making me blush. I then find something to distract me from the boy and spend the rest of the night having a great time.