Year 2 Begins

August is zooming by, and my birthday is approaching. My mom already told me what I was getting because she wanted me to pick it out at Diagon Alley this week when we went to get my second-year school supplies. My father never let anyone get in the way of my dreams. And my dream for this year was to not only be top in my class, but to be on the Quidditch team. I was getting a broom for my birthday.

A few days later we traveled to Diagon Alley. We quickly got my supplies and broom and went back home. I spent the rest of my summer in solitude refusing to answer any mail that came through my window. I kept myself busy by reading my new schoolbooks.

Before I knew it the day arrived for me to return to Hogwarts. My mother walked into my room. "I see you haven't packed." She said and with a simple wave of her wand, all my school supplies and clothes went flying into my trunk. "Bethany. Your father was a great man. He would be proud of you for everything you have accomplished this past year. I'm sorry you were unable to spend more time with him. But he would want what I want - for you to be happy. Yes, he is gone, but if he was still here would he be living? Honey he was suffering. Be glad it ended quickly. Now, go make him proud and be your best self." She smiled at me and hugged me tightly.

Finally, I got it. My dad wouldn't want me like this. He would want me to be happy. I realized I was now crying and hugged my mom even tighter. "I love you mum. I'm sorry I've been like this. I just miss him." I said wiping my tears away.

"I know. I know. I miss him too." She said back.

We finished getting my last things together before setting off for Kings Cross. When there, I was nervous. I barely talked to any of my friends this summer. I didn't know how they would react to me not answering any letters. I told my mom goodbye in the car and walked alone to the platform. From there I looked at the barrier and ran through it as fast as I could. I looked at platform 9 and 3/4 and didn't see any of my friends. I went straight to our usual compartment, and put Moe there and put my trunk away. I then sat in the window seat and just sat there. Waiting. Wondering if my friends would ever forgive me. I was deep in thought when someone said,
"Well. Look who's alive." I turned around to find Lucy standing there. She didn't have a smile on her face though.

"Lucy. I-." but before I could finish, she interrupted me.

"Oh, please don't apologize. I write how many letters and you don't reply to one. Does this necklace mean anything to you?" She was then holding out the friendship necklace I gave her over Christmas. "Or was it all an act? 'I'll write over the summer.' Oh bull. Honestly why even bother with the act. All you would have had to say is-"

I couldn't contain my anger any longer. "LUCY! I'M SORRY! IM SORRY I DIDN'T WRITE. I'M SORRY MY DAD DIED. I'M SORRY I'M A PATHETIC FRIEND! I'M SORRY I-"

"Wait, your dad died?" she

"YES LUCY. MY DAD DIED. IS THAT NOT GOOD ENOUGH OF AN EXCUSE TO NOT WRITE?" I took a breath. I didn't mean to yell. It just all came out.

"I-I-I didn't k-know. Beth I-I'm so-o sorry." She stammered out.

"Just go now Lucy, I don't want to talk about it." I said, turning away from her. In my rage I must have gotten up from my seat as I found myself standing. I sat back down before continuing. "Just go." And without another word she walked away. I just put my face in the window and started crying. I then heard footsteps entering the compartment. "Lucy go away."

"Well good thing I'm not Lucy." I turned my face to the door and there stood Fred and George. I got up and hugged George. Who said, "I'm sorry about your dad Beth. And about what happened with Lucy. We heard it from across the train. You two will make up though, you guys are closer than this."

I didn't want to say anything, so I just let him hug me. If it was possible, I swear the twins has grown a foot over the past few months. When George let me go, I looked up at him and smiled.

Then I saw Fred in the doorway. I went over and hugged him. He gently returned the hug and said, "Lees with Lucy. We told him everything. He's probably telling Lucy right now. Everything will be okay." He then grabbed my hands and looked into my eyes. "You will be okay." He smiled as he said that to me. I smiled back and sat down by the window again.

"I feel bad. I was trying to tell her, but she kept talking so I started yelling. I shouldn't have done that," I said.

"Yeah. Yelling may not have been the best option but, it's okay. You had a right too. Holding all that in all summer. It was bound to come out sometime." Said Fred. I looked up at him and nodded. I knew out of all people he would get me the most. He always has.

"Anyway. You guys ready for tryouts this year?" I said, cheering up my mood. "I got a cleansweep seven for my birthday. My mom wanted to wait to get me a newer one until I've been on the team a few years."

"Hey Fred and I have those brooms also! They were Bill's and Charlie's though." Said George.

"Mine is new. We just got it cheap because of the new version that is set to come out this coming year." I said. "So still going for the beater positions?"

"Hell yeah we are. We think alike so we thought putting our brains together hitting people off their brooms would be incredible. We would work so smoothly it would inspire everyone watching." Said Fred.

"Yeah alright you two don't get to excited there." I said giggling. But my smile quickly faded when I saw Lee enter the compartment with Lucy. She sat down next to me and everyone fell silent.

"Beth. I'm really sorry. I had no idea what happened. I should have let you explain but instead I assumed and treated you like-" but before she could finish, I grabbed her and we both started crying.

"I'll never hide anything like that again. I was just so upset and depressed I didn't want to let anyone know. That and I didn't want to think it was real." I said.

"I know and I should have thought about you and let you tell us what happened. I'm really sorry." Lucy said with one last squeeze on the hug.

"Blimey. Girls are work." Said Lee.

"I'll say." Said the twins in their usual unison tones.

The rest of the ride went smoothly, and everyone had a great time filling each other in on the summer events that happened to them. When Lee was saying something about his dad meeting a vampire, I realized that I never mailed Cedric once. I made it my number one priority to tell him ASAP what happened over the summer and why I couldn't write. As always before we knew it, we were at Hogwarts. We were excited that this year we would be riding the carriages to school instead of the boats. We arrived at the great hall, and we all took our seats. The sorting hat had just begun its song when I say Cedric. I stared at him until he met my gaze. He mouthed the words "why didn't you write?"

I replied with "I'm sorry. I'll tell you later." He nodded in agreement. Now I just wanted the feast to be over so I could tell him what happened.