13: Hopeless

My heart was racing. I didn't know how to act around humans. I stared at the man in front of me. He was holding out his hand. This was a handshake right? I've seen people do it before.

I felt weak in the knees. I tried very hard to hold my hand out too, but for some reason my body refused. The man was looking at me in anticipation. I knew I had to do something quick.

Pretend.

The words that Chuuya had spoken to me were replaying in my head.

I put on a smile. I shook the man's hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you" I replied back. "So what is a young lady like you doing here all by herself?" he asked. "Oh, actually I am here with someone" I said.

I watched as Griffin's facial expression changed. "And where might this person be?" he asked. I felt a hand creep around my lower waist.

Where was Chuuya?

He wrapped his hand around my waist and guided me away from the other people. My mind was going insane. I started getting flashbacks of when I got taken away so brutally as a child.

I watched as he led me to an abandoned hallway.

He slowly backed me up against the wall.

The cool breeze blowing out of the cracked windows reminded me of home. "It's a shame" he softly said and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. "That you'd have to end this way" he smiled at me. My eyes widened. "Such a pretty face" he said and lifted my chin with his index finger.

I looked down to see that he had a small knife in his hand. I wanted to scream but I knew it had no use. There was no one here.

"Please" I said. "I'm just a guest here" I added. He let out a laugh. "You think I wouldn't recognise my guests? I would surely remember a face like yours" he said and held the knife closer to me.

My heart was racing. My legs were shaking. I closed my eyes in fear. I felt as the knife was being pushed against my skin.

Suddenly, I heard the knife drop to the floor. I opened my eyes to see Chuuya standing behind Griffin. I let out a sigh in relief.

"Chuuya Nakahara" Griffin said.

How did he know?

"King of gravity manipulation" he added. "Should I refer to you as royalty?" he mockingly said and laughed. Chuuya made his way to Griffin and grabbed him by the collar before pushing him up against the wall.

"Sure you want those to be your last words?" he asked. Griffin smiled. "Are you sure you want those to be your last words?" Griffin asked back. I watched as the two of them were looking at each other.

Griffin held out his hand and the knife flew back into his hand. I looked at them in shock. "Chuuya watch out he got a knife!" I yelled at him. Griffin didn't hesitate before jabbing the knife into his side. My eyes widened. Chuuya's grip around Griffin's neck tightened. I saw that he was in pain.

I had to do it.

I had to activate my ability. All those trainings had to be useful.

I closed my eyes and used my ability. I had learned how to limit the damage that I did to objects. It should be the same to people. I focused my energy onto Griffin and closed my eyes. Before I knew it, I had already hurt him. He fell to the floor in pain.

I am able to hurt people from the inside. The same way I can destroy them from outside, I can do it internally as well. I don't need to kill anyone, but I can damage certain organs.

I pulled out the handcuffs that were in my bag and cuffed Griffin's hands together. I kneeled down in front of Chuuya who was sitting on the floor with his back against the floor. I came close to him and reached for his pocket to pull out his phone. I called for Mori to send backup.

"What did you do?" Chuuya asked. "Don't talk" I said and looked at his wound. "Are you ok?" I asked him. "I'm fine" he said. "Mori is sending people this way" I reassured him. He let out a sigh and rested his head against the wall. I ripped a piece off of my dress.

He looked at me surprised. "What are you-" he started but I wrapped the piece of fabric around his wound and applied pressure. "You're not realising it, but you're losing a lot of blood" I said. "It's nothing" he looked away.

——
Soon Port Mafia members arrived and took Griffin in. Apparently they had their own nurses and doctors as well to take care of Chuuya.

I went with them into the ambulance. "We need to remove the knife" the doctor said. "It doesn't seem like it hit any fatal organs. We need to stabilise the object" he added. "This will hurt" he told Chuuya. I looked at him. I felt very bad. If I had used my ability faster, he wouldn't have gotten hurt.

"You can look away and hold onto something" the doctor told him. "It will be over soon" he added. I held my hand out and grabbed Chuuya's hand. He looked at me surprised. "You can squeeze my hand" I said. "It's my fault you're in this situation in the first place" I added. "It's not-" he started but the doctor started moving the knife.

He flinched and tightened his grip around my hand. His grip was firm and filled with pain. "Hold on for a bit longer" the doctor said. I saw Chuuya's eyes closing. "Is he ok?" I panicked. "He's losing consciousness" the doctor said. "It's ok. He has lost a lot of blood. It's a natural reaction" he said. "We will treat him at the headquarters" he added.

I watched as his grip around my hand was completely gone and it looked like he had passed out. For some reason I couldn't let go of his hand.

I felt too much guilt to let go.