25: Unity

Why did you leave me?
I would never hurt you.
I have always been good to you.
Please forgive me?
Sorry.

I opened my eyes.

A nightmare.

I haven't had nightmares in a while. I thought I was over them.

My hands were shaking as I took a sip of water. I turned my head to face Chuuya. He was staring right at me. "I-I'm sorry. I probably woke you up" I said.

He continued to stare at me.

"Those nightmares" he said. "Are they about.. back then?" he asked. I hesitantly nodded. "Mostly" I said. "Sometimes I don't understand them either" I added. "I usually see my parents" I said and looked at the floor. "Do you not struggle with nightmares?" I asked. He let out a sigh. "Of course I do" he said. "I haven't had them in very long though" he added.

"What are they about?" I asked. "My parents" he said back. I looked at him. "The same as me" I mumbled. I knew Chuuya and I shared a history that no one else did. No one on this planet would understand us as much as we understood each other.

"I'm glad you don't get them anymore" I said. He suddenly got up from the floor. "What are you-" I started but he made his way over to me and sat next to me. "I will lay down with you" he said. I was startled by his sudden behavior. "I-I'm fine you really don't have to-" I started but he already put his head down next to mine.

"Just close your eyes and relax" he said.

I slowly shut my eyes. I felt at ease with him next to me. For some reason, it gave me comfort. It gave me a feeling I had never felt before. Feeling his hearbeat, warmth and hearing his breathing. It all made me feel at peace. I felt safe. Safe cause I'm with him.

----
I woke up the next morning.

I slowly opened my eyes and looked beside me to see Chuuya still asleep.

His arms caught my attention. They were wrapped around me, holding me close to him. No wonder I didn't feel cold during the night. He kept me warm. I softly smiled at the sight in front of me. As much as he was a hotheaded and easily irritated person, he seemed so peaceful while he was asleep.

I looked over to see that there was a tray of breakfast placed at the door. The guards usually left food. However, they only handed out food for me. Mori and the other guy clearly wanted to persuade me.
They didn't care about Chuuya. As Mori would say:"He's just an obstacle to get rid of"

I felt Chuuya behind me fiddling in his sleep. I turned around to see that he was slowly waking up.

"Goodmorning" I softly said. His eyes fluttered open as he looked at me. "Morning" he groaned. I let out a chuckle. "You're really not a morning person" I pointed out. He rolled his eyes. "Good observation" he commented. "There's food for you" I said and slid the tray of food to him. He gave me a suspiscious look. "I'm starting to wonder why all the food is for me when I'm the one getting executed" he said. I shrugged. "I don't know either" I said.

He tapped the spot next to him, indicating for me to sit next to him. He split the food with me and we both sat there eating in silence. It felt good to see him finally eating. I know what it's like to starve. I know what hunger feels like. I know how it affects your mood and leaves you with no energy. I don't want Chuuya to feel that way.

"I'm sorry about yesterday" I finally spoke. He shook his head. "It was my fault" he said back. "I blamed you for something that you had no control over" he added. "I guess we both said some hurtful things" I said. "I'm sorry" he said and let out a sigh.

I examined his face. Was he tired? Exhausted? Sad? Hurt? I couldn't tell.

"You won't get executed" I said. "I won't let them" I added. He looked up at the ceiling. "I appreciate it" he said. "But it's not as easy as that" he added. "So you're accepting death?" I asked. He closed his eyes for a second. "There's nothing I can do" he said. "Mori is much stronger than me" he pointed out. "And I don't know what the other guy is capable of doing" he added.

"You have me though" I said. He looked at me. "You're not able to fully control your ability yet" he said. "You'll end up hurting not just others but also yourself" he added. I shook my head. "I have trained a lot. I will defeat them" I said and held my fist up. He let out a laugh. "I'll let you believe that" he said.

The rest of the day we mostly spent talking.

I felt like I was slowly starting to understand him. His huge ego and personality were all an act. In reality, he was trying to run away from his feelings.

"If you were to get executed" I said.

"I wouldn't forgive myself" I said. "I would probably get so upset that I would go back to my old ways" I added. He gave me a puzzled look. "Why would you go that far for me?" he asked.

"I care about you. Why can't you understand?" I asked back. "You keep wondering why I'm so nosy and try to look after you but.." I said. "Why can't you realise that I care about you" I added. "Y/n" he said. "You can't get too attached to me" he said. I looked at him confused. "You'll end up hurt" he added. "Who knows how long I have left" he pointed out. "Distance yourself from me now that you still can" he said.

"And never shed tears over me" he spoke.

"Never"