16: Dishonesty

I slowly nodded, unsure of what he actually meant.

He got up and sat down on the bench.

"Maybe you should revisit the doctor" I suggested. He shook his head. "Not needed" he said and wiped his face with a towel. "You can go on your walk" he said. "After all, you won" he added.

I nodded before exiting the room and going for my walk. As I made my way outside, I noticed myself getting lost in my thoughts. I wasn't necessarily having a bad time at the Port Mafia. However, I did feel like I wasn't being taken seriously. I felt like I wasn't making enough progress and that Chuuya was the only one who has helped me so far.

Mori made a lot of promises. He was a man of words, not of actions. He liked to state things and act like he was interested, but deep down, just like all humans, he never cared.

I wanted to see positive things in human beings, but there wasn't a single thing I could point out. I have never felt like I belonged and they have never treated me like one of them.

How was I supposed to know what was best for me? Trust humans? Give in to them? Distance myself? Become enemies?

It was hard for me to understand the underlying emotions and intentions that humans had. Despite that, I have been trying to understand and examine their behavior.

That's also how I noticed that Chuuya was different from the rest. He seemed to care about things. If I had to describe him, I would say he's a short-tempered guy with a lot of feelings. However, he did confuse me. Sometimes I felt safe around him and other times I just wanted him to stay away.

Despite all of that, he got injured from saving me. I didn't deserve a treatment like that. He wasn't mad at me nor blamed me. In fact, he has been nice to me.

What the word "nice" really means, is a mystery to me. But I believe it is something positive.

As I made my way back to the Port Mafia, I saw Akutagawa sitting outside on his own. I hesitantly walked past him. "You really are scared of people?" he asked and looked up at me. I slowly turned around to face him.

I stayed quiet.

"You only talk to Chuuya. Spend time with him. Train with him" he said and got up. "Don't you get bored of seeing the same person all the time?" he asked. I shook my head. "Chuuya has been nice to me" I said. He scoffed. "I guess you don't know" he said. I frowned. "What?" I asked. "Chuuya's only being nice to you because he feels bad for you" he said.

Feeling bad for me? Why would a human feel bad for me? I'm nothing. I'm no one. I'm not worthy to have feelings for.

"Don't be too surprised" he said before walking away. I watched as he made his way inside.

This was the second time that someone talked questionably about Chuuya and it made me want to know the truth.

I needed answers.

Mori's words kept replaying in the back of my head.

"He's a bad person"

I went inside and decided to check the training room to see if Chuuya was still there. Without warning, I opened the door and stepped inside.

I was right, he was still here.

He was wearing a black tank top, revealing his toned body and muscles. His entire body was covered in sweat. I watched as he was trying to catch his breath.

He walked over to the bench to grab a water bottle.

I noticed a tattoo on his left shoulder. I squinted my eyes to see what it was. They were two lines.

My eyes widened.

I froze in place.

He looked up at me after taking a sip from his drink.

"Hey, what brings you here?" he asked me. I slowly made my way over to him. He grabbed a towel to wipe his face. I stood in front of him and snatched the towel out of his hand.

"You haven't been honest to me" I said, tears forming in my eyes. He looked at me in shock. I watched as he got up from the bench and stood in front of me as well. "What's wrong?" he asked. I looked at the tattoo on his shoulder without saying anything.

His eyes widened and he quickly reached for a shirt to put on. I stopped him.

"You" I said as I tightened my grip around his arm. "You were there" I said. He looked at me with an expression that was filled with fear and shock. I took a step back before taking off my shirt, standing in front of him in a tank top as well.

I pointed at the tattoo on my left shoulder which was one stripe. "Same place" I said. "Same font" I added.

He looked away.

"Answer me" I demanded.

"Is this why everyone told me to stay away from you?" I asked. "Why do you have the same type of tattoo as I do?" I asked.

He stayed quiet.

"Answer!" I yelled at him. I tried to hold back my tears. I felt like I had been lied to.

What else did I expect from humans.

"I.." he started and looked away. "I'm sorry" he said. "Sorry for what?" I asked. He stayed quiet. "Sorry for not telling you" he said and let out a shaky breath.

He took a step towards me and held both of my hands.

"What I'm about to tell you is the complete the truth" he said.

"Will you trust me?" he asked.