20: Opportunity

Living the life of an ordinary human sounded frightening to me, but at the same time, I was curious. Curious to understand what made humans the way they are.

I cluelessly followed Chuuya. "We are almost there" he told me. I nodded and walked closely behind him. The further we walked, the more people I saw. I saw him checking up on me from time to time to make sure I was alright. At certain times, I would hide behind him. Luckily, he understood how I felt.

We stopped in front of a building. "This is a grocery store" he said. I scratched the back of my neck. "You can buy food here?" I asked. He nodded. " Exactly. Our chef gave me a list of ingredients to get for today's dinner" he said. "I thought it would be the perfect opportunity for you to interact with the outside world" he added.

"I'm a little scared" I pointed out. "Don't worry, I'm here with you" he said, giving me a reassuring smile. I never really saw Chuuya happy or in a good mood. He always seemed serious and slightly annoyed by everything. Perhaps that was his way of dealing with his past.

We entered the store and he grabbed a cart before pushing it into my hands. I pushed the cart into the store and submissively did as told. "Can you go get flour?" he asked. I nodded and made my way to the aisle. As I made my way over there, I saw that a tall middle-aged man was already standing there. I backed away. The man didn't seem to be buying anything. He was aimlessly standing in my way. I turned around to leave but immediately bumped into someone. 

I looked up to meet with the eyes of an unknown woman. I covered my mouth to prevent myself from screaming. My palms were getting sweaty. I felt my temperature rise as the woman was looking at me. I felt like I was going to throw up any second.

"Is this what we do nowadays?" she asked in a disapproving tone. I looked at her. "Well?" she asked. "Can't you apologize?" she crossed her arms. "I-I'm.." I stuttered. "Excuse her" I heard behind me. I turned around to see Chuuya. He politely smiled at the lady. "She's just having a bad day" he pointed out. I looked at the floor, embarrassed of my behavior. "The new generation" the woman rolled her eyes before walking away.

I covered my face in my hands out of shame. "Hey" Chuuya said and removed my hands. "Don't be embarrassed" he reassured me. "She was intimidating me" I said and looked up at him. He nodded. "Don't worry" he said and walked alongside me to get the flour. "You're trying your best" he said as he put the last few ingredients in the cart. I nodded. "That's all that matters" he added.

We made our way back to the headquarters with the bought groceries. The chef thanked us and told us that Mori was waiting for us in his office. "Mori?" Chuuya asked confused.  "It has to do with the girl" he said and looked at me. Chuuya nodded. "Thanks for telling us" he said. We left the kitchen and went to see Mori.

What could Mori want from us?

Chuuya knocked on the door. "Come in" Mori answered. I hesitantly followed Chuuya inside. Mori smiled as he saw the both of us. "I see that you both have been getting along" he said. Chuuya nodded. "She has been improving" he pointed out. "That's what I like to hear" Mori smiled.

"I have some news that might interest the both of you" he said and crossed his legs. "I have a mission" he proceeded. "A very big mission" he added. "The Port Mafia has never dealt with anything such as this" he said.

"And what might this mission be?" Chuuya asked. "We have been able to locate the people that kidnapped you" Mori said and looked at me. My eyes widened. "W-What?" I asked shocked. He pulled a map out of his drawer before handing it to me. "You two will have to go undercover and join their team" he explained. "Once you're both in, the Port Mafia can start to attack them from not only the outside but also the inside" he added.

"As much as I respect your idea" Chuuya started. "I don't think Y/n is ready for this yet" he added. "She's still scared and intimidated by others" he explained. I looked at the ground. He was right. How could I possibly go on a mission like this?

"How's your side?" Mori suddenly asked Chuuya. "It's fine" he said. "Didn't Y/n save you back then?" Mori asked. Chuuya let out a sigh. "I know" he said. "But this is a much bigger mission" he added. "The dangers are unknown" he said.  "I have faith in the both of you" Mori said. "I can't think of better suited members for this mission" he added.

Chuuya didn't seem satisfied with anything  that Mori said. I didn't know how to respond either. Of course I wanted to avenge the death of my parents. I wanted revenge. I wanted to face the people that scarred me. I needed to do this.

I got up from my seat. "I'm in" I said. Chuuya looked at me in shock. "Y/n-" he started but I cut him off. "I'm no longer running away from people" I said. "I need to do this" I added.

"They need to suffer" I said.

"Suffer for what they did to me" I balled my fists.