28: Ameliorate

I heard a beeping sound.

I slowly opened my eyes.

Where was I?

I didn't recognise this place.

Did I die?

I looked around the empty room to see that I was laying in an unfamiliar bed. "You're awake" I heard. I slowly turned the other way to see a woman standing in the doorframe. "Don't worry" she said. "I'm a nurse" she explained.

I didn't question her and simply nodded.

"Chuuya" I suddenly said. "Is he alright?" I asked worried. She gave me a confused look. "Excuse me, who?" she asked. "There was a guy with me" I explained. She frowned. "I need to check that" she said. "I'll be right back" she added before leaving.

I couldn't wait.

Who knows where I was and what they would do to him. I ripped all the weird wires and tape of my body before getting out of the bed. I felt lightheaded but I had to get out of here.

I made my way to the hall and peeked through every door that I saw. Eventually I saw Chuuya inside one of the rooms. I opened the door without hesitation and rushed inside.

He turned around to look at me.

"Y/n" he said surprised. "What are you doing her-" he started but I cut him off by making my way over to him and pulling him into a hug. I squeezed him tight. "I was scared that you were gone" I cried.

He looked at me surprised. "Y/n" he said. "Why would I be gone?" he asked as he pulled away from me. "I don't know" I mumbled and wiped my tears away. "Don't cry" he said and patted down on the bed, indicating for me to sit next to him.

"How are you feeling?" I asked. "Could have been better" he replied. "I had surgery for my wounds" he explained. I was taken back. "Did it.. hurt?" I asked. He shook his head. "You're not conscious during surgery" he explained. I slowly nodded. He let out a laugh.

"Sometimes I forgot that you don't have the same knowledge as most people" he said and looked at me. I softly smiled. "I'm trying to learn" I said. He smiled back and grabbed my hand.

No blood.

"You're getting better at controlling your ability" he spoke. "You think so?" I asked. He nodded and held up his hand revealing a scar. I looked away in shame. "I'm so sorry I did that to you" I said.

When he held my leg to prevent me from hurting Mori, I wasn't controlling my ability properly and his hand started bleeding.

I felt guilty afterwards.

"It's ok, you're improving. That's what matters" he said. "There she is" I heard behind me. I panicked and turned around.

Humans.

No humans aren't bad.

I can't keep thinking that all of them are bad.

"You're not supposed to visit other patients. Especially if you're still recovering yourself" the woman in front of me said.

"Patients?" I asked confused. "I'm sorry don't mind her. She just wanted to see me" Chuuya explained. The woman gave him and me a warning before taking me back to my room.

"You're allowed to leave soon since we didn't conclude anything severe. You seemed to have passed out due to shock and stress. We will run a few tests first before you're officially allowed to go" she explained.

I nodded and followed her orders.

———

It didn't take long before I was able to leave my room again. I immediately made my way to Chuuya's room. The woman stopped me from going inside. "He's asleep. You should give him time to rest. You can sign up for visiting hours using this form" she said and handed me a paper.

I frowned as I looked at it. I need to wait in order to see him? Fill in a form? What was this?

I couldn't read what the paper said. I felt embarrassed and decided to just sit down in the waiting room. "You also can't sit here without having signed-" she started but I cut her off.

"I won't cause any disturbance, I'm just going to wait till he wakes up" I said. She hesitated before finally agreeing to let me wait.

———

I was finally allowed to visit him after a while.

I made sure he was awake before opening the door.

"You really need to teach me how to read" I said embarrassed as I entered the room. He let out a laugh. "Seems like something happened" he said. "I had to fill in a form in order to visit you" I said. "And you couldn't read the paper" he pointed out. I nodded. "Don't worry" he chuckled. "I'll teach u as soon as I'm allowed to leave" he said.

I smiled at him. "Thank you" I said. "Do you know when you can leave?" I asked. He shook his head. "Seems like it will take at least a week" he said. I nodded. "Where will you go in the mean time?" he asked me. I shrugged. "I guess back to-" I started but he cut me off.

"No" he said. "You will never go back to that place again, you hear me?" he said. I looked into his eyes. He was serious.

"What else can I do?" I asked. He stayed silent. We both tried to think of places to go. "You know it's the only option" I finally said. "Unless.." I added.

He shook his head.

"You are not going back to the Port Mafia either" he said.

"We will never step foot inside that place ever again"