19: Ordinary

Being human was something I never wanted to be.

No, it's something I never felt like I could be.

No matter how hard I tried to fit in after escaping, I never felt comfortable. I felt uneasy and frightened. I have always been scared of the malicious intentions that humans have.

They are unpredictable and hurtful.

Friendship.
Love.
Lust.
Passion.

Things I'm incapable of feeling.

I never thought I would want to feel these things. I never thought I would want to become something that I have been dreading for so long.

The urge to be.. human? To feel human? To belong?

What exactly I was after, wasn't clear. Deep inside I knew that I had to change. I had to change in order to make my parents proud.

I had to give in to..becoming human.

Have I always been a human in denial?
Can I disassociate myself from them?
Have I ever been non-human?

"Y/n" Chuuya suddenly said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"You need to make your mind up" he said. "What is it that you want?" he asked.

"Be.." I started. "Become human" I said.

He crossed his arms. "You have always been human" he pointed out. "How about, trying to live the average life of a human?" he asked. I slowly nodded. "Will you.. no.. can you help me?" I hesitantly asked.

He put his hand on my head. "You're a pain" he sighed. "But I guess I'm willing to help" he added before giving me a pat on the head. For some reason it felt comforting.

"Do you think the Port Mafia is a good place to feel human?" I asked. Het let out a laugh. "I don't think so" he said.

"Then why are you still a member? Don't you want to feel like an average human being?" I asked. He looked at the ground. "I owe someone" he said. I frowned. "Who?" I asked.

"Mori" he said. I looked at him surprised. "You owe Mori?" I asked. He nodded. "He saved me" he explained. "He made me an offer" he said.

Chuuya's P.O.V

"So what will it be?"
"You can stay here for the rest of your life or come with me"
"Why would I come with you?" I asked.
"I don't even know who you are" I added.
"Would you rather stay here?" the man in front of me asked.
"Listen kid, let me make you an offer" he said.
"I will buy your freedom, in exchange, you work for me" he said.
Work for him? Who was this guy? He seemed friendly but at the same time I was scared.
"I want to be free" I said and balled my fists.
"Well then it's settled" the man smiled at me.

Your P.O.V

"Mori saved you" I pointed out. He nodded. "He has always been there for me. He has given me a home. He has made me regain faith and trust in humans" he said. "I hope you can make the same progress" he added and looked at me. I nodded.

"Thank you" I said.

"It's pretty late, you should rest" he said. "Today has been quite hectic" he added. I nodded.

"Sleep well" he said. "You too" I said back before making my way back to my room.

——

I opened my eyes the next morning.

No nightmare?

Had I slept successfully without having a nightmare? I was taken by surprise.

I have never successfully slept without having a nightmare. They usually haunt me.

I rubbed my eyes before getting out of bed. I freshened up in the bathroom and then went to have breakfast.

I usually ate my breakfast separately from the rest but today I decided to sit in the main dining room.

As I made my way inside, all heads turned my way.

"Is she lost?" someone asked. "Cover your ears, she will start screaming" someone else said. "I'm serious, someone get her out of here" someone else said.

The judgemental faces and whispering made me feel uncomfortable. A feeling of being unwanted. An outcast. Something I have always been.

I turned around to leave the room but bumped into someone.

"I-I'm sorry" I said and looked up to see Chuuya.

"Where are you going?" he asked. I was startled by his question. "Eat with the rest" he said and grabbed my hand before making me sit at the table.

Everyone's eyes were glued on us.

"C-Chuuya I don't think these people like me" I pointed out. He continued to eat his food. "Don't say that" he said back.

"Seriously Chuuya why is she here?" someone asked. Chuuya slammed his fist on the table. "If any of you have a problem with y/n sitting here, you better speak up now so I can deal with you straight away" he said.

The room got quiet.

"Have you guys never seen a damn woman" he rolled his eyes before continuing to eat his food. "You didn't have to-" I started but he cut me off. "Finish your food we have a long day ahead of us" he commanded.

Intimidated by his tone of voice, I quickly finished my food.

———

After finishing breakfast, we made our way outside.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Experiencing life" he said.

"As an ordinary human being" he added.