23: Revelation

"Wake up, the boss wants to see you both"

I slowly opened my eyes.

Was it the next morning already?

I looked beside me to see Chuuya asleep. I didn't recall falling asleep last night.

"I'm talking to you redhead" the guard said. Chuuya slowly opened his eyes and groaned.

"Why so early?" he whined. I nudged his shoulder. "Let's not provoke someone with a gun" I suggested.

We both got up from the floor. The guard blindfolded us before taking us to his boss.

"I have a bad feeling" I told Chuuya. "Don't worry" he replied. "We'll get out of here" he added.

We suddenly stopped.

The guard removed our blindfolds.

I looked in front of me to see a rather large door. The guard knocked on the door and waited for permission to enter.

As the door opened, we got pushed inside. "The two prisoners as you wished" the guard said and stood behind us.

I saw the same guy from yesterday. He must be the boss. I looked at Chuuya. His expression was a combination of shock and confusion.

"Chuuya are you ok-" I started but then noticed at what he was looking at.

"Long time no see" Mori grinned at us. My eyes widened.

"What are you doing here?" Chuuya asked. Mori chuckled. "Isn't it obvious? I'm going to make the world a better place" he said.

I could sense the anger coming from Chuuya. "You" he balled his fists before making his way towards Mori. The guard jumped in and held him back.

"Life isn't always what you expect" Mori said with a smile. The guard covered Chuuya's mouth with a cloth to prevent him from talking.

Mori came close to his face. "You.. are nothing but a toy" he said. Chuuya's eyes widened. "I needed you to find the girl. The girl I always wanted. Someone who possesses an ability so strong that it could destroy the earth. I needed you to persuade her" he said.

Chuuya looked away, breaking eye contact.

"I knew you'd eventually gain a weak spot for her" he said. "After all" he added and held up a scalpel. "You both have shared history" he grinned.

I watched as Chuuya helplessly listened to Mori's words.

"You think I bought your freedom... you have never been free to begin with" he laughed.

"I commanded you around like a dog and watched as you did everything I asked" he said. "You were so desperate to repay me" he added. "Repay me for saving you" he laughed.

"You have always been a naive little boy" he said and turned around to walk away. "Don't worry, your death will come soon" he said. "And you can wish your pathetic life goodbye" he added.

"I will execute him in a few days. Take them back to their cell" he commanded the guard.

The other guy made his way towards me. I took a step back. He smiled at me. "Such a pretty face" he said and suddenly appeared behind me. I froze. Unable to move out of fear and shock.

"We will make sure that you will watch the death of your friend" he grinned. "Front row seats" he added.

I closed my eyes. I didn't want to believe this was happening.

I felt a pair of hands wrap around me and drag me along. I got blindfolded again and before I knew it, Chuuya and I were back in our cell.

I looked at him.

I couldn't imagine the immense pain that he must be feeling right now.

I watched as he sat down on the floor, his back facing me. "Chuuya" I said and sat next to him. "I don't know what to tell you" I said. I wanted to comfort him like he always did for me. I don't have the wisdom he possesses nor the vocabulary needed to make someone feel better. I have never had to cheer anyone up except for myself.

"Don't say anything" he said. "But-" I started but he cut me off. "I don't want to hear anything anymore" he said. I let out a sigh. "I'm sorry" I said back.

He buried his face in his hands.

All I could do was watch his pain and sorrow.

The person he has looked up to his entire life has turned out to betray him. All this time, he was being used without knowing. He trusted Mori with his life.

And now to get killed by his hands..