36: Remorse

A/N: I deeply apologise for my absence, I had not been doing well for the past couple of months and ended up neglecting this platform. I recommend re-reading chapter 35 before continuing just as a refresher. I hope you all still enjoy the book and have fun reading.

———

I looked at Chuuya, an expression of confusion mixed with fear was plastered over his face. "Chuuya" I said as I slowly stepped forward. "Stay back!" he demanded. I froze.

"I see you're not answering my question" Kenji said. "Guess I'm free to do whatever I want" he added before activating what seemed like his ability. His arms seemed to have turned into swords. "Y/n leave" he said. "What?" I asked. "Leave right now!" he exclaimed before pushing me to the exit of the shop.

I evacuated whatever remaining customers were still inside and made my way outside. I looked through the big window. Chuuya gave me a nod, indicating that he'd be fine. I watched as Kenji ran up to Chuuya before trying to slice him with his blades. His ability reminded me of my own, but in a different form.

I could take him down. I could save Chuuya.

I took a step forward but before I knew it, the glass of the window shattered. I covered my face to prevent any face injuries. A piece of glass cut my hand. I flinched at the stinging sensation.

I looked up to see Chuuya pinning Kenji down onto the floor as he desperately tried to hit Chuuya with his blades. "I didn't leave you" Chuuya said. "You did!" Kenji exclaimed in anger. "I almost died because of you" he added. Chuuya shook his head. "I was told that you were dead already" he said. "Bullshit!" Kenji yelled. "You... you told me you'd come back for me" he said. Chuuya's eyes widened.

*A few years ago*

"Damn Chuuya you really know how to take a hit" Kenji said and laughed. "I'm stronger than you, of course I can take a hit" Chuuya pointed out. "You're not stronger than me" Kenji said and bawled his fists. "Let's fight it out, man to man" he added.

Chuuya couldn't help but laugh a little. "Ok but don't cry if I win" he said. Kenji scoffed. "As if" he said. The two boys stood in a fighting stance and were ready to fight. "Enough" they suddenly heard. They turned around to see Mori. "I don't want anyone to get hurt before our big mission tomorrow" he said.

The boys complained before finally accepting that they had to spare their energy for their upcoming mission.

-

The day of the mission had arrived and Kenji seemed rather nervous. "What's wrong?" Chuuya asked. "I just feel like something's going to happen" he spoke as he looked up at the sky. "Promise me one thing" he said as he looked at Chuuya. "Hm?" Chuuya looked up at him. "Promise me that no matter what, we will protect each other" Kenji said.

"Of course" Chuuya said. "I have your back" he added.

Our mission was to infiltrate the base of a different mafia and capture their most valuable belonging, which was a special diamond. Anyone in our way would get killed. "How are we getting in?" Kenji asked. "We need a distraction" Chuuya pointed out.

"I'll do that" Kenji said. "You get the diamond" he told Chuuya. "Are you sure?" Chuuya asked. "You can count on me" Kenji said. Chuuya quickly looked around before nodding. "I think I know where they keep the diamond" he said.  "Goodluck" Kenji said before giving him a thumbs up. "I will come back for you" Chuuya reassured him.

The boys split up and took their assigned tasks upon them. "Well well" Kenji smiled at the guards. They all pulled their guns out and pointed it at him. "Hey, I just came to talk" he said as he held his hands up in defence. The guards lowered their guns.

Kenji sighed in relief. "Get him" someone said. Kenji's eyes widened. He activated his ability before fighting against the guards.

"Where is this damn thing" Chuuya said frustrated as he looked around to find the diamond. It took him a long while before finding a secret door. He kicked it in before entering the room. "It must be here" he said as he searched the place. Suddenly his hand touched something suspicious. He looked down to see a safe. "This must be it" he concluded before grabbing it.

"I have to get back to Kenji as soon as possible" he said before quickly running off. Once he got back outside his eyes widened at the sight in front of him. The guards were on top of Kenji.

"Kenji!" Chuuya called out. The guards looked up. Kenji seemed to be in very bad shape. Chuuya took a step forward. The guards grabbed Kenji by his shirt before holding a gun against his head. Chuuya looked at them in shock. He activated his ability before fighting the guards off.

"Kenji are you alright?" he asked. Kenji nodded, his body being too weak to move. A loud explosion caught their attention. The blow was so hard that Chuuya got separated from Kenji.

He looked up to see him on the floor a few meters away. More guards started lining up to attack him. Chuuya looked back at, he had to make a decision.

"He's long gone" a sudden voice behind him spoke. He turned around to face Akutagawa. "He's not" Chuuya defended. "You take back the safe and I will go back for Kenji" Chuuya said as he handed Akutagawa the safe.

He declined. "Did you see what those guards did to him? They stabbed him and now they're attacking him with more men than we can handle. There's no way he is still alive. I know he's dead" he spoke. "We have to prioritise the diamond" he added.

Chuuya froze as his back was facing Kenji and the guards. He turned around to see what seemed like Kenji's lifeless body. He clenched his fists. "I'm going back" he said. Akutagawa grabbed Chuuya by the neck before dragging him along.

"You're going to get us both killed and I won't let that happen" he said. "But Kenji's back there!" Chuuya yelled in agony. "How many times do I have to tell you he's dead" Akutagawa spoke.

"Kenji" he whispered to himself as he held back tears.

"I'm so sorry"