24: Dispute

Chuuya and I haven't spoken in over two days. His execution kept coming closer. I was starting to think that he was counting his days.

"Chuuya" I said. He stared at the wall. "You haven't eaten anything" I pointed out. He didn't respond. "You'll get sick" I said. He scoffed. "You're one to talk" he said.

I noticed the tension between us had been rising ever since we saw Mori. I knew Chuuya was in a vulnerable state, but I couldn't continue watching him act this way.

"You need to eat at least something" I said. He ignored me. "We will get revenge" I said. "We will defeat Mori and-" I started but he cut me off. "And then what?" he asked. "We either die out here or we win and go back to that hell" he said. "You don't understand, the Port Mafia is over" he said. "It doesn't have to be over" I said. "You could take over Mori's place" I suggested. He let out a laugh.

"I didn't think you'd have such an imagination" he said. "I'm serious" I said offended. He looked away. "I don't want to see you like this" I said. "Then close your eyes" he said back. "Chuuya-" I said but he cut me off. "Stop talking to me" he said. "Everything's your fault" he mumbled under his breath.

My eyes widened.

I was taken back by his remark.

"So all of this is my fault?" I asked.

"You know damn well that everything started with you" he snapped at me. The tone in his voice was offensive and triggered my emotions. Did he really think so badly of me? Has he always felt hatred towards me? Then why did he help me? Why has he been so kind to me? Was it all an act?

Humans.

I felt anger boil inside of me. Why? Why was I here? Why did agree on joining the Port Mafia? Why did I trust Chuuya? Why did I think he was nice?

It seemed to me as if no one will ever care about me. I was alone in this pathetic world.

"Have fun getting executed" I said.

"Perhaps I will" he said back.

I had never gotten in a verbal fight with anyone in my life. I have always been too scared to talk back and defend myself.

The silence in the room was only adding to the tension.

I knew I shouldn't haver ever trusted him nor Mori. It indeed was all my fault. I'm a fool for believing that there's good in humans. To believe that there might be hope.

---

The rest of the day me and Chuuya avoided each other.

He mostly slept. He seemed to use it as a way to escape from reality. I felt bad for him but I was also angry. I was angry at not just him but mostly myself. He was right. Everything was my fault. I was the one who got kidnapped. He saved me, found me, helped me, trained me, comforted me, cared for me, looked after me. All I gave back to him was pain whether it was physical or emotional.

And now I will be the reason for his death. Mori will get rid of him because he's standing in the way. He knows that Chuuya and I have formed a bond together. I just didn't want things to end this way.

"We got food"

I looked up to see one of the guards.

"It's only for you. Redhead over there will die soon anyways" the guard said before leaving me a tray of food and walking away.

Chuuya hasn't eaten in two days. Despite our argument, I couldn't help but feel sympathy for him.

I slid the tray over to him. "Chuuya wake up" I said and poked his back. He groaned. "Leave me alone" he said back. "I got food for you. They left it specificallly for you" I said. He slowly turned around. "Why? Cause I'm dying?" he sarcastically asked. "I don't know. This is what the guard told me" I said.

He didn't seem interested to eat anything. "Chuuya please" I said. He finally looked at me. He had been avoiding eye contact ever since we started fighting.

"Why do you care so much?" he asked. "Why can't you just leave me alone like everybody else does?" he asked. I looked away.

I didn't know myself. Why was I so invested in making sure he was alright. Why did I care so much about him? Why did I feel responsible for him? Responsible for his happiness? Was it guilt? Was it empathy? Different emotions I hadn't felt before?

I didn't know.

"I'm just returning a favor" I simply said. "You have helped me so I feel obligated to do the same" I said. As soon as those words escaped my lips I realised that I was lying. Lying about my true feelings. Cause to be frank, I didn't understand them myself either.

He didn't respond and turned around to go back to sleep.

"At least drink something" I said and handed him a bottle of water. He rolled his eyes before taking a sip and throwing the bottle back at me.

"Now stop talking to me" was the last thing he said before drifting off to sleep.