37: Conciliate

*Present time*

"So you're trying to tell me you wanted to go back for me?" Kenji asked. "I did" Chuuya said. I slowly stepped forward as I entered the shop, or at least, what was left of it.

"What is she to you?" Kenji asked, pointing at me. I froze as I looked at him. "Ah I'm just-" I started but Chuuya cut me off. "She's my girlfriend" he said. I looked at the floor, slightly flustered. Kenji scoffed before getting off of Chuuya and deactivating his ability. "I don't know whether to believe you" he spoke.

"Kenji, listen" Chuuya said as he got up from the ground to stand in front of Kenji. "I'm sorry for what happened back then. I tried so hard to go back and save you. You were my best friend and you know that" he added. Kenji crossed his arms and looked away. "You don't know how happy I am that you're alive" Chuuya said.

"You didn't even recognise me" Kenji said. "You don't look the same" Chuuya pointed out. "It wasn't until I looked into your eyes that I noticed who you were" he added. "He seems pretty young to me" I suddenly spoke. Both their heads turned towards me. "That's cause I am" Kenji said as he walked towards me, examining my face and clothes.

"Don't touch her" Chuuya stated. "Or else?" Kenji placed a hand on my shoulder. He suddenly flinched and pulled his band back. I watched as a drop of blood fell onto the ground. "What the-" he started but Chuuya cut him off. "It's her ability" he explained. "She has a hard time controlling it around people she's not comfortable with" he added.

"Sounds dangerous" Kenji pointed out. "Trust me, it is" Chuuya said. Kenji looked around the store, glass was shattered everywhere. "I was really about to kill you" he said as he looked at Chuuya. "I still don't know what's stopping me" he added. Chuuya walked up to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Kenji, I'm glad you're still alive. I'll always be your big brother. Someone you can trust and rely on. I know nothing will make up for what happened back then but I still like to try" Chuuya said. Kenji looked into his eyes without saying anything.

"Help me clean this mess before Jenson comes back and I might consider" he finally spoke.

It took a while before we were able to clean up the mess and call for someone to fix the windows. Unfortunately, it was quite a lot of work and it couldn't be finished in a day. "Jenson's going to fire me" Kenji said frustrated. "This is the only job I have and will ever get-" he started but Chuuya cut him off. "What if I know a place for you" he spoke.

Kenji raised his eyebrows. "Chuuya, you don't mean.." I said as I looked at him surprised. "We could use a hand" Chuuya added. We were all interrupted when the door opened and Jenson stepped inside. His eyes widened at the sight of the broken windows. "What happened here?" he asked shocked. "I'm sorry sir" Kenji replied in shame.

"You did this?" he asked. Kenji nodded. "I can't believe it.. I trusted you" he spoke."I know and I'm terribly sorry. Please give me a second chance" Kenji spoke. "I want you out" Jenson suddenly said. Kenji's eyes widened. "But I-" he started but Jenson interrupted him. "I said out!" he raised his voice. Kenji took off his name tag before placing it on a nearby table. "Trust me, you'll like your new job a lot better" Chuuya reassured him.

———

It's been two months since Chuuya and Kenji's interaction at the coffee shop. I continued my job there while Chuuya helped Kenji get a job at the Armed Detective Agency. I was happy for them. They seemed to have moved on from their past. Chuuya and I have been able to afford our own apartment and pay the rent.

As weird as it may sound, for the first time in my life I was actually... enjoying life. Was this enjoyment? The feeling of being truly happy?

"Y/n hurry up, we don't want to be late" Chuuya's words snapped me out of my thoughts. "Coming!" I replied as I quickly grabbed my bag and stepped outside the apartment. "You look great" Chuuya smiled at me. I felt a blush creep onto my cheeks. "You too" I replied. He closed the front door before backing me up against it, staring deeply into my eyes.

"I love you, so much" he whispered before leaning in to kiss me. My eyes fluttered shut as he placed his lips on mine. His hand rested on my hip. I let out a squeal as he gently squeezed my side. "Relax" he said against my lips before intensifying the kiss. "Chuuya" I said as I slowly pushed him back. "We'll be late" I stated. "Way to ruin the mood" he rolled his eyes sarcastically. I couldn't help but laugh a little, earning a chuckle from him. He grabbed my hand, intertwining our fingers before leading us outside.

It was Dazai's birthday today and we had planned a surprise party for him at the agency. I heard a lot about Dazai from Chuuya and Kenji. As much as he could be a pain sometimes, he was a genuine guy and good friend to both of them. Chuuya drove us to pick up his cake. "Do you think you can go inside and get it?" he asked me. My capability of socialising had increased drastically since working at the coffee shop. However, I still felt nervous sometimes and I tried to avoid physical contact as much as possible.

The only person I've ever felt safe with is Chuuya. "I can try" I said as I unbuckled my seatbelt and stepped outside to enter the bakery. I gave them the receipt of the cake we had ordered and patiently waited for them to hand it to me. I thanked the baker before stepping outside with the cake. I could see Chuuya smile from inside the car when he saw me.

I opened the door and got in. "I'm proud of you" he smiled at me before gently placing a kiss on my forehead. "You've grown so much" he spoke. I softly smiled at him.

"Thank you for sticking by my side"