- wish you were here

[ season 5 episode 11 ]

MENTIONS STRUGGLES OF ADDICTION IN THIS CHAPTER

"So your just gonna leave?" Holly asked as her and Cal trailed after their father.

He came to a stop in the hallway looking at his two children, "It's not forever. I'm just going to test the waters in New York and if I like it then I'm staying."

Cal scoffed as he shook his head, "That doesn't make sense, because if you do like it then you're gone forever. And your abandoning your children, again."

Holly clicked her fingers at her brother with a nod, "He's got a point. You are willing to choose a job in New York over your children? Who, let's be honest, you barely know."

Daniel ran his head across his forehead, "You could always come with me." Cal and Holly's eyes doubled in size when they heard his suggest, lost for words that he even suggested.

"Did I hear that right?" Cal asked and turned to his sister. "Did you hear that correctly?"

Holly hummed as she narrowed her eyes at her father, "Seattle is the place we grew up in, our friends are here - our friends who are essentially our family." Holly almost went on to mention Mark but she was cautious in mentioning that in a corridor when any of the nurses could hear. "This is our home , why would we leave?" 

"Don't the memories haunt you? Of Denny, of Lily?"

The question their father asked made both of them stand in shock. The way he asked the question with no remorse in his voice , as if he had never mourned over his child.

"I'm sorry you don't get to ask that when you weren't here to mourn over your own God damn child." Holly spoke with a malicious tone remembering when she had to sit and plan her own sisters funeral without the help of her brother,  granted at the time she didn't know her father at the time but surely he knew that Lily had died.

Cal slumped his shoulders at the time, if he could take anything back it would be to have a better relationship with his sister and to be here to help his younger sister mourn. Daniel stumbled over his words as he tried to reply, his daughter had a point. Of course he had mourned over his eldest child but in reality he didn't have much to mourn. He barely knew any of his children, he didn't know their favourite meals or their favourite TV show.

"Exactly my point. Did you even know her?" Holly raised her eyebrows, "Did you even know her birthday? Or what she was allergic to?"

"Strawberries." Daniel replied in an instant.

Cal shook his finger, "Blueberries." Holly nodded at Cal and sighed as turned and faced her father.