- stand by me

[ season 5 episode 18 ]

Holly was surprised the next morning when Izzie had willingly sat next to her. But Holly couldn't help but chuckle at Izzie's words, "You hate me."

"You got that right." Holly replied slipping her shoe on.

Izzie didn't even know how to phrase what was going to come out of her mouth, "Suprise I have cancer." Doesn't sound the best way. Izzie sighed and watched as Holly moved about her day, Izzie hadn't even contemplated what her words would do to Holly. How do you just expect someone to move on with their day knowing their colleague has cancer.

How?

Well, Izzie quite simply dropped the bomb on Holly. This was the person who hated her after all. She thought Holly would whizz around her day forgetting that Izzie even had cancer.

But, God was she wrong.

×××

Holly was quite known for hating Izzie Steven's but now she was helping Izzie, shocking I know. It felt quite odd to be sitting opposite Izzie with a bunch of binders filled with information about chemo. It wasn't the response Izzie was expecting, and in all honesty didn't know if she was grateful for it all.

Holly caught a glimpse of Alex outside, leaning against a nurses station unknown to the fact his girlfriend had cancer, which had a less than 5% chance of survival rate.

"Why did you tell me and not Alex?" Holly queried, Izzie and Holly had never seen eye to eye but add the death of Denny together and the two did not get along.

Even if the two were the last two on Earth, they'd probably still find a way to avoid each other. Izzie shrugged as Holly slid another binder infront of Izzie, "You have to read that before you see the oncologist. Which is later on today. Don't forget or try to weasel your way out of it."

Izzie rolled her eyes, Holly glared at her in response. "Fine, if you don't want my help I'll happily stand up and walk out that door. But, I was doing the decent thing."

Izzie sighed, guilty for coming across as ungrateful. "Look I'm sor-"

Holly waved her hand, "I would say it's fine but I mean you now have cancer so everything clearly not fine." Izzie was confused, Holly was being nice. Maybe somehow the scans and gotten mixed up and it was Holly with the brain tumor because this change in behaviour/ attitude could correlate quite nicely with the symptoms of a brain tumour.

What Izzie didn't know was the little bit of guilt building in Holly. Nobody, knew actually where this guilt was coming from.

"Should you even be here today?" Holly questioned, tilting her head to the side. Holly was a Doctor and just finding out you had cancer and then going to work didn't seem like the best idea.