FTNCT |Chapter 6|

Dedicated to boybandlatte for being a great friend. It's sad we don't share any classes this semester. Picture of Sophia above!

-----------------

"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." ~anonymous 

 "Ready?" Coach bellowed.

"Yes." We chorused.

"Remember Dillon at the front, all of you behind him. Wave to the crowd and don't smile! Keep a stern face. The Otters needs to know that we aren't afraid. Now go get them." He clasped us on the back as we each headed through the door.

"Now, introducing the home team, please give a warm welcome to the Eagles."

The crowd went wild as we entered. It was the first indoor night game after all. I could see my mom, brother and even my dad in the stands. I was surprised. It had been a while since I last saw him. Looking further down, I spotted Sophia. She met my gaze and waved.

"Rock this club." She mouthed.

"And now entering are the Otters." The crowd booed as the team entered. Dillon and the other captain gripped hands but it seemed more like they were trying to strangle each other.

"Eagles back here." Coach called. "It's seven plus a goalie for each side. I want Dillon striker, Scarlett right wing, Nick left wing, Shaun right midfielder, Alex left midfielder, and Brandon left defense, Alana right defense and Kevin in net. Remember, if you don't play well, I'm going to sub you out!"

We took our positions as the other team got the kick off. Immediately they began dribbling the ball and passing to one another. Shaun couldn't get the ball away from them as hard as he tried. They passed it to a boy with dark hair. He ran through the field.  

"Get him Alex!" Kevin shouted. Alex thankfully got it away and kicked it to Dillon. His pass was intercepted by another boy and the passed it to the same player as before. He ran past Alex and Shaun without another glance. It was my turn to step it up. I ran at him but at the same time Brandon also ran.

We collided into each other while the other player took a shot to the upper right corner of Kevin. He scored. I looked shocked, as did the rest of the team. Within two minutes they had already gotten a goal? How good was this team?

"Step it up defense! Stop snoozing." Coach bellowed. He nodded towards the referee asking for a sub. "Alana out, James replace her." I was paralyzed. I had been subbed out two minutes within the game. I nodded grimly and sat on the bench watching everyone else play. Coach Aaron's face was stony and he didn't say anything. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

We lost.5-0, was the final score. That wasn't even the end of it. The power forward from the other team had made snide remarks about me and Scarlett playing.

"Having cheerleaders on your team was a big help in losing. Wasn't it?"

Shaun had rushed forward but the ref had stopped and warned him. If they fought, Shaun wouldn't be allowed to play the next game which would probably be a bigger loss.

The bleachers were nearly empty. Only close family and friends had stayed to watch us lose so badly. The worst part was coach didn't even say anything. He just told us to shower and go home.

I put my head between my hands. I was frustrated. Not only with the referee, coach but mostly myself.

"It was only the first game guys." Sophia tried.

"Yeah, the one in which everyone was counting on us?" I snorted. "The one in which I got pulled out after two minutes?"

"Hey it wasn't your fault." Scarlett whispered.