FTNCT |Chapter 9|

"I believe in process. I believe in four seasons. I believe that winter's tough, but spring's coming. I believe that there's a growing season. And I think that you realize that in life, you grow. You get better." ~Steve Southerland

Autumn was slowly beginning to die down and it seemed that the famous Canadian winter was about to roll in. The air became more frigid and more days was it possible the see your breath then not. It was intolerable to leave the house without a warm sweater or jacket. November was also the time my parents decided to surprise me with a big decision.

"Pass the mashed potatoes." I ordered Justin.

"What's the magic word?" He mimicked in a high girly voice.

I knew what he was referring to, but in order to piss him off I feigned ignorance. "Abracadabra."

"That's not the magic word."

"Please?" He continued to ignore me.

"Just pass me the mashed potatoes!" I shouted.

"Stop fighting at the dinner table!" Mom shouted. "If you fight again both of you are going to be washing the dished for two weeks straight."

That shut us both up. "Dad, could you please pass the mashed potatoes?"

He passed it to me and I finally got my mashed potatoes. I stuck out my tongue at Justin and piled two heaps of mashed potatoes with my roasted chicken. That's when I finally noticed, my dad was really quite.

"Dad, is something wrong?"

He looked up startled from his plate. "Huh? It's nothing. Don't worry." He shot me a weak smile. Was it just me or were my parents acting a little weird?

"Okay gigs up, what is going on?" Justin demanded.

"Finish dinner then will talk." Dad responded sharply.

The rest of the meal passed in utter silence. The only sounds that filled the room were the forks and knives clattering with the plates. There was an air of tension in the room. When we finished eating all of us headed towards the living room.

"Can you please tell us what going on!?" Justin pressed on.

"Calm down, were getting there." Mom answered.

I sat on single brown leather sofa while my parents took the love seat and Justin took the last sofa all to himself.

"So, we've been thinking about this for a while now."

My heart filled with dread. They couldn't be filing for a divorce.

"We've decided to move."

I sighed in relief. Hey, you couldn't blame me. The way they were talking and the tense atmosphere that had surrounded it sounding like they were going to have a divorce.

The initially shock wore off. "Wait, what?" I cried. "We're moving?"

"Yes," my mom calmly nodded her head.

"We actually have a couple of houses we have in mind. This weekend we can go visit them and see which one you like best." My dad interjected.

Justin was the only one who didn't speak. "Justin, honey what do you think?"

"When are we moving?" He asked quietly.

"Towards end of November," Mom replied.

He grinned widely. "I can't wait. I've always wanted to move out of this boring house."

"We can't move!" I cried. "This is the only house I've been in."

This house had all the memories, the good and also the bad. I didn't want to move. I hated trying new things. Sticking to family things was better and much safer. I didn't like change.