FTNCT |Chapter 14|

IMPORTANT: Guys I just realized I made a big mistake. I accidentally posted chapter 14 for chapter 13. I have fixed it now so the real update is chapter 13. Go check that out please!

"Family is not an important thing. It's everything." ~unknown

I woke up to the cluttering of pots and pans as well as the sound of the smoke alarm. I groggily slipped out of my warm covers to see what the big deal was about. As soon as I opened my door, I was hit with a wave of smoke. Coughing I shut my door closed. It took me a while to gain the strength to open the door and head to the kitchen. I saw my Mom running from place to place in the kitchen with her apron flying and food stains everywhere.

"Mom, what is going on?" I muttered.

She barely looked at me when she spoke. Beads of sweat trailed her face. "Todays the annual Christmas Eve Dinner, Alana stop bothering me and help me shut the stupid alarm and get rid of this spoke."

The stress was clearly prominent on her face. I open my mouth to say something but my mom cut me off. "Alana, turn the damn thing of now!"

Muttering words under my breathe I went to the source of all the noise. I took a towel and started flapping it widely hoping that the sound would stop. It took around five minutes of me looking like a crazy flamingo but I got it under control. I wondered how my dad and brother were not awake from all this noise. They sure were heavy sleepers.

I got dressed in a pair of grey sweatpants and a black sweater. I knew that my outfit was going to get dirty so I decided to just wear casual clothes. Grabbing a granola bar from the pantry as the kitchen was a mess I got started with the mashed potatoes. Side by side, my mom and I worked together for around three hours until we were almost done.

I sighed in relief. That was a lot of work but I knew that it would be worth it in the end. Around this time my dad and brother decided to grace us with their presences. Immediately as they entered the kitchen, my mom put them to work as well. It was actually pretty funny. When she was stressed out, she became a dictator not letting us smile or laugh until we completed our tasks.

When the roast was finally put into the oven you could clearly see the worry lines erasing from my mother's face. Together we all sat down at the table to have a 'late' breakfast. More like brunch because it was around 12:00. I slid the omelet from the pan onto a plate and sat down on the table. My dad had made some of his delicious hot chocolate so I sipped it and warmth spread through my body.

"You guys do know that we are not done." Mom commented as Justin was heading back upstairs after brunch.

Justin retreated his steps knowing that my mom was talking to him.

"I wasn't going anywhere." He gave her an innocent smile.

Too bad we all knew the devil inside of him.

"Sure." My dad snorted into his coffee.

Justin just gave us all of his big grins in reply.

Almost seconds after we were done eating my mom gave us all task for the 'cleaning of the house'. It was more like the extermination of every dust particle to ever exist. It was a tedious task but Mom said that if we didn't finish she said she wouldn't let us eat with the Family. We would be stuck with leftovers while everyone around us would be divulging into the delicious meal that we had prepared. Pretty cruel punishment if you ask me.

I started with my room and it barley took ten minutes. My room was clean for the most part. I just needed to put away some clothes and my school books. I went to Justin's room next. I opened the door as was met with a pile of clothes. There were clothes scattered everywhere as well as papers and food wrappers. To top it all off, Justin wasn't cleaning but playing on his ps3. My mom would have a heart attack if she found out so I took matters into my own hands.