FTNCT |Chapter 19|

Dedicated to Temperware for posting her comment and making my day!

-------------------------

"I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me."~J.K Rowling 

"I can't I'm sorry but I'm having dinner with my parents and Dillon tonight. You can come if you want to."

I sighed. "No thanks."

"Okay well I have to go, Dillon's here." Sophia cut of the line as I responded bye.

I threw my phone on my bed in frustration. That was the fifth time that Sophia was too busy to hang out with us since Valentine's Day. She was either too busy with Dillon or doing school work trying to make it into medical school. I shot Scarlett a quick text asking her if she wanted to hang out. She was busy as well with some family thing.

Sighing I plopped on my bed starting at the celling filled with stars above. It was a spontaneous response, I felt much calmer and my frustration lessened. I would just plan another day where only the three of us would get to hang out. Lately we had all be chilling with our new group but spending time with your besties could never go wrong. Seeing as I had nothing better to do with my life I went to the kitchen to help my mom prepare dinner.

The smell of the food hit my nostrils and my mother was in full swing. I washed my hands and wiped them on the dish towel. "What are you cooking Mom?"

"I'm cooking Paella."

I rubbed my hands together. Maybe it was for the best that I didn't have any plans today. Paella was one of my favourite dishes. It was of Spanish origins and consisted of white rice, green and white beans, as well as chicken. Mom's paella was an old recipe that was one of her friend's great grandmother's recipes.

I set the table with water glasses and the appropriate plates. Mom had begun placing the paella in everyone's plates and requested that I call Justin and my Dad. I made my way upstairs to Justin's room. I didn't bother knocking just hollered at him to come downstairs. I went to my parent's room and found my dad was sleeping. I shook him gentle hoping he would get up. After a few moments of unsuccessfulness I took my phone out and pressed the alarm.

Immediately my Dad got up and started looking around frantically. "Alana, what's going on?"

"It's dinner time. That was my phone alarm since I couldn't wake you up before."

"You couldn't have done it any other way?"

I laughed. "Hey you weren't waking up. Please hurry up, mom is made paella."

At the sound of paella my Dad's eyes widened. It was sufficient to say that we all love paella with our hearts. His movements became faster and I swore he got ready in record timing. I was fairly impressed.

We were all seated at the table eating the divine paella.

"Mom this is so good," Justin said with a mouth full of food.

I was immediately reminded of Shaun.

"Don't chew with your mouth open," Mom replied on impulse.

Justin immediately shut his mouth on her warning tone. The rest of dinner was spent with us chatting about school, work and hockey. After dinner we even decided to play monopoly something we hadn't done in ages. My heart felt warm and fuzzy and for the first time since the morning, I felt content just being here with my family.

------------------------

I buttoned up my coat and tied the scarf on tighter. Even for late February when the weather was supposed to be getting warmer it was cold. The snow had begun melting leaving puddles of water around the sidewalk. The air was still frigid and you could see your breathe but miraculously the sun was out and shining about. I plopped my headphones and began my way down the familiar path when I heard a car honking. I craned my neck to see a better look. It was Dillon.