FTNCT |Chapter 23|

"Sometimes, you have to get angry to get things done." ~Ang Lee

Coach Aaron grinned at us all evilly and I knew immediately we were in trouble. "Five laps around the whole school and if I see you walking I'm going to double the laps for every minute you do so."

I groaned as did the rest of the team but we did as he said. I pulled away from the field and found myself beside Scarlett. We both chatted about our courses and how life was going.

"Zeke has a girlfriend!"

I tried acting surprised but I couldn't remove the small smug smile from my face, "really?"

"Yeah, he introduced us last week. Her name is Claire."

"That's a nice name," I said politely while slowing down my pace a bit more. "How is she?"

"I like her a lot. But it's weird. I always thought that Zeke harboured a tiny crush of Sophia." She replied.

I laughed. It seemed that Zeke had finally opened his heart to someone and I couldn't be more happy to have been the inside women. Checking my surroundings I realized we were almost half way there and I was not tired at all. It seemed that my stamina had increased drastically due to all the running I did with Nick. In fact, there were team members that were slowing down around us but Scarlett and I seemed to be on par.

When we came back to the field, I leveled my breathing and raised my arms above my head trying to clear my air way. Glancing at the rest of the team only Nick was mirroring my movements and it seemed that he had noticed my staring. He gave me a wink to indicate that we had a shared secret that nobody else knew.

Next coach made us control the ball through the orange pylons. It seemed that a lot of our team members had be slacking off for the while we had not had practices and coach wasn't very happy so when it was my turn I was naturally terrified. As I stepped up to take the ball I felt someone behind me. I turned to see Nick.

"Deep breaths Allie," his voice soothed me as if placing a calming spell. "You can do it. Remember it's all about how you use the correct part of your feet."

I nodded. Taking a deep breathe I readied myself but that was soon cut short by coaches screaming. "Spears we don't have all day so if you would please try the drill your highness." He said sarcastically.

Laughter burst from behind me but I ignored it. Getting agitated or embarrassed wouldn't help me improve my play. Contrary to coaches wishes I began my breathing exercise again before I started the drill. The main thing was control. I started of slow before increasing my speed as confidence surged through me. By the end of the drill the ball hadn't left my foot except where I wanted to. As I finished the drill I looked up to see coach furiously scribbling down stuff on his board.

He sure seemed surprised.

My gaze landed on Nick and he smiled at me giving me thumbs up. I smiled at him back. As I approached Scarlett's side she nodded at me. "You seriously have improved Alana."

"Thanks." I beamed.

"Nick sure is a good coach."

"He is." I echoed her words.

The last part of our practices included a scrimmage between all our players. Coach divided us of into two teams. Scarlett unfortunately wasn't on my team but Nick was.

When I approached the already huddled group Nick gave me props. "You were seriously letting the caged beast inside of you."

"It was all thanks to a certain trainer." I muttered.