38.

Wiping off the makeup I had smeared all over my face, I thought. A million thoughts ran through my head and I was afraid that those thoughts would become one big tornado. I didn't know why at least one day couldn't end without crying, arguing and screaming. I had never argued with anyone as often as I did with him. I hated fighting, but now I could say I was used to it. When I was at home I'd rather leave the place than fight but when I was arguing with him I could yell things I meant to say for a long time.

The next thing running through my head was. Does he really care about me? 

He just admitted that he cared about me and that he needed to protect me, but why was that? I already had enough questions and unknown answers but I had nowhere to get them from. I was already tired, not physically but mentally and emotionally.

Harry was definitely the type of person who would say something he didn't really mean and I'm convinced this is one of those times. Why would he care about me? I'm just his neighbour, that's all. I'd never say we're anything like friends, friends don't betray each other.

But in some moments we weren't even enemies, it was some weird middle that couldn't be identified. Something like a fine line between love and hate

But this wasn't love, more like empathy and equal trauma. I didn't know what Harry went through when he was younger and why he is the way he is, but I do know that sometimes we had too many things in common, which scared me.

Maybe he knew about death more than I did, after all his whole family had died, but he seemed to have the best relationship with his sister. Since I didn't have a sibling and only my father died, we weren't that similar in family matters, only in the fact that in my situation, only one parent passed away.

I never asked him how his parents died but he didn't know how my father died either and I always found it rude to ask him that

I stared in the mirror as I thought, and when I realized I'm still standing there, I picked up my phone and went back to the picture in the gallery I took the other day. A picture of my father in Harry's liquor cabinet. I should have asked why the picture of my dad was in his house but the red date on the other side of the photo terrified me. By the time I washed my face, changed into my sleeping clothes and decided to call Stacey, it was late but I hoped she would pick up.

"Mands? You're finally calling, it's been a long time since you've called" Stacey's kind voice came on the phone, it didn't sound like she was sleeping.

"Sorry Stace, I didn't have time at all, I've been busy with a book and somehow I forgot" I scolded, trying not to mention my house that almost burned down.

"It's okay hun, I just missed you, it's boring here without you, it's been different since Michael got a higher place" Stacey replied between speeches and my eyebrows slowly creased.

"What?" I blurted out in surprise, lying backwards on the bed so that my feet were at the bed front.

"Well, when I was at my parents I found out Carolyn got a higher place for Michael and now he's her second in command, he's extremely annoying" Stacey ground out through her teeth in disgust and I had to agree. I'd never seen a bigger bloodsucker than Michael was in my life when it came to working.

"He asked where you were" Stacey confessed and I rolled my eyes. "I hope you didn't tell him where I am" I urged her in a warning tone indicating that Michael and I had long since parted ways.

"I told him you're somewhere safe, you know I don't like him. I'm sick of him trying to get back together with you, I'd like to blow his gelled head off"!