Chapter 3:Dumbledore's Speech

As I walked into the great hall to be sorted I saw Lupin sitting at the head table. He gave me a smile.

I watched as the first years got sorted into their houses.

"Next up Miss. Lily Lupin." Called a teacher holding the hat.

It took a deep breath and went to sit on the stool. The teacher placed the hat on my head.

"Ah Lupin you say? I sense you have a long family lineage of people who have gone to Hogwarts. They were all once house expert, Your father broke the line it seems. I sense cunningness, and slyness. I sense you will follow in the same footsteps as your father. Better be Gryffindor!" The hat called.

I breathed a sigh of relief as I walked over to the Gryffindor table. I looked towards Lupin who looked just as worried as I did. There were no seats by Ron, Harry and Hermoine but I saw two boys with red hair like Rons had an opening.

"Hello." I said sitting down across from them.

"Hello." One said.

"I am Lily Lupin." I said.

"I am Fred Weasly." Said one.

"I am Geroge Weasly." The other said.

"Nice to meet you." I said, casting them a glance. As Fred looked away I held a look with George. I got losted in his brown eyes. I broke from my trance as what looked like Dumbledore started to speak.

"Welcome Welcome! To another year at Hogwarts. Now I would like to say a few words before we all become befuddled by our excellent feast. First we are pleased to welcome Professor R.J Lupin. Who has kindly considered to fill the post of defense against the dark arts teacher, good luck professor." Dumbledor said as Lupin stood.

The hall erupted into applause. I might have been clapping the loudest because a boy with white hair looked over at me with disgust. My hands froze as I locked eyes with him. It was Draco Malfoy. My cousin Draco. He did not know I existed but I knew he existed. I knew all about the Black family. I had done a lot of research about them after Lupin gave me a note from my dad on my 8th birthday.

"Draco." I whispered only loud enough for Geroge to hear because he looked at me.

"You know Malfoy?" He asked, still clapping.

"oh - Um, I read about his family a long time ago." I said.

"Is Lupin your dad?" Fred asked.

"Yes he is." I said.

I looked back at Lupin who was still standing. I looked to his left and saw a man in all black.

"Snape." I said as he looked at me.

"And our care of magical creatures teacher for years has decided to retire to spend the remainder of his time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately I am delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own Rebus Hagrid." He said. A large man stood. Lupin had told me a little bit about him but not alot.

"Finally on a more distilling note the ministry of magic hogwarts will until further notice play host to the dementors of Azkaban until such a time as Sirius Black is caught.The dementors will be stationed at every sentence entrance to the grounds. Whilst I have been endorsed that our day to day activities will not be interrupted. Though a word of caution the dementors are vicious creatures they will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore I must warn you each and everyone of you to give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving. But you know happiness can be found even in the darkest of time. One only remembers to turn on the light. Now let the feast begin." Dumbledore said as food appeared on the plates.

Fred and George started eating right away. I sat there looking at my plate. In Dumbledore's speech when he mentioned my dad everyone whispered horrible things about him.

"Are you going to eat Lily?" Geroge asked.

"Yeah for sure." I said grabbing some chicken and putting it on my plate.

"Are you alright?" George asked.

"Yeah I am ok." I said taking a bite of chicken. I looked up at Lupin who stared back at me.

Fred and Geroge talked to each other and to me for the rest of the meal. I tried to stay silent as much as I could.

When Dumbledore said we could go I was so happy to get out of there.

"Hey Lily!" Called Hermoine as I walked up the stairs to the girls dorm.

"Yes Hermione?" I asked.

"I have 2 empty beds. Would you like to be my roommate?" She asked.

"I would love that." I said, smiling at her.

"Great right this way." She said, leading me to a room.

When she opened the doors I saw 3 beds. One with Hermione's trunk and one with mine. The beds had red curtains hanging from them.

"We better get to bed." Hermoine said.

"Yes we should ." I said as we both got in bed.

I waited until I heard Hermoien snore to sneak out of bed and grab my journal.

"Dear Diary,

I am done with my first day at Hogwarts. A dementor attacked us on the train. He was looking for dad. When I got to Hogwarts I was scared that the hat would out me as a Black to everyone but it did not. It said something about 'Being from a long line of people who had all been in one house but my father broke that.' The hat was talking about how all the Blacks besides my father were sorted into Slytherin. Anyway I got put into Gryffindor and I ment these two twin boys with red hair. Fred and George. George seemed to take a liking to me. I can't say that I did not take a liking to him. I think I will like it here."

I wrote in my dairy before closing it. I walked back over to my trunk to move things around to hide my journal and I found the note I had gotten on my 8th birthday. I took a deep breath and opened it.

"My dearest Lily,

This is Sirius Black, Your father. By the time you get this I will have missed out on 8 years of your life. 8 years assuming Remus gave this to you when I asked him too. I have asked him to raise you while I am away. Away makes it sound like I will be coming back. I won't. I want you to know that leaving you was not easy. I know you will grow into a beautiful smart brave woman. I wish I could have had more time with you. But the year I got was one of the best I have ever had. You make me so happy Lily.

I love you,

Your father Siruis Black.

P.S. If you have any questions, ask Remus; he will be more than happy to answer them."

I ran my hand over my fathers signature. I wish I would have remembered him. I loved Remus and he raised me amazingly but I wanted my father. I folded the note backup and stuck it in my trunk. I closed the trunk and went back and laid in bed. I wondered to myself where my dad was.