Chapter 5: Boggarts

After class had been cut short by Draco getting scratched by Buckbeak we were told to sit in the great hall and study until our next class. I walked in and saw Fred and Geroge sitting there with some other 4th years.

"Hey Lily! Come sit." Geroge called.

"Scoot over" Geroge said to some 4th year students to make room for me in between Fred and George.

"I heard what happened in care of magical creatures, are you alright?" he asked me after I had sat down.

"Yeah I am fine. It was just Draco being stupid." I said.

"He does that a lot." Fred said.

"He has been spotted!" Semus came in yelling slamming a newspaper down by Geogre.

"Who?" Ron asked, moving to the paper.

"Sirius Black!" Semus yelled.

I shot up to look at the paper.

"Daughttown. That's not far from here." Hermoine said.

"You don't think he would come to Hogwarts do you?" Neville asked.

"There are dementors at every entrance." A kid said.

"Dementors he has already slipped past them once has he not. Who is to say he won't do it again?" Semus said.

"That's right. Black could be anywhere. It is like trying to catch smoke." Another kid said.

"Can I see that?" I asked reaching for the newspaper.

"Sure." Some kid said handing it to me.

I looked at my father on the front. He was being held back by what looked like two guards and he was trying to get away. My breath caught in my throat. Was my dad coming for me? Or his godson Harry. I thought.

I walked absentmindedly to my next class holding the newspaper in my hand

"Are you alright Lily?" Hermione asked me.

"Yeah I am fine." I said snapping out of it and shoving the newspaper into my bag. I walked into my next class which happened to be Defense against the dark arts with Lupin who I really wanted to see.

As I walked into class I saw a wardrobe and it was shaking. "It's a Boggart." I thought to myself. Lupin had taught me about them a few years ago.

"Intriguing isn't it?" Lupin asked, walking forward.

"Would anyone like to venture to guess what is inside?" He asked.

I raised my hand.

"Yes Miss. Lupin." He said with a smile.

"That would be a Boggart." I said.

"Very good and how do we know it is one and what does it look like miss. Lupin?" He asked.

"They like to dwell in dark spaces. No one knows what it looks like because it changes to what everyone fears the most." I said.

"Right again Miss. Lupin." He said smiling.

"Show off." I heard a kid whisper.

"While they are terrifying, a very simple charm exists to repel a boggart. Let's practice it now. Without wands please. After me, ridiculous." Lupin said.

"Ridiculous." The class chanted.

"Very good. A little louder and very clear Ridiculous." He said again.

"Ridiculous." The class said louder and clearer.

"This class is ridiculous." Draco said.

"Very good. So much for the easy part, saying the incarnation is not enough. What really finished a Boggart is laughter. You need to force it to find the shape you find truly amusing. Let me explain. Neville, please come forward." Lupin said. Neville looked around.

"Come on, don't be shy." Lupin said, beckoning him forward.

"Now Neville, what frightens you the most?" Lupin asked.

"P-P-professor Snape." Neville said. The class laughed

"Yes professor Snape has that effect. Neville, you live with your grandmother, correct?" Lupin asked

"Yes but I don't want her to come out of there either." Neville said.

"No, just picture her clothes. Just her clothes." Lupin commanded.

"Ok She has a red handbag-" Neville started but was cut off by Lupin.

"We don't need to hear it. As long as you see it, so will we." Lupin said, moving closer to him. He whispered something into Nevilles ear.

"Can you do that?" Lupin asked.

"Yes." Neville said.

"Wand at the ready." Lupin said.

"One two three." Lupin said, flicking his wand as the wardrobe door opened.

After a few seconds Snape stepped out.

"Think Neville think." Lupin whispered in his ear.

"Ridiculous!" Neville fired at the boggart Snape. Seconds later he was put into womens clothing with a red handbag. I assumed that it was his grandmother's clothes. Everyone laughed.

"Wonderful Neville, wonderful!" Lupin cheered.

"Ok wonderful everyone form a line." He said. I was the 3 one in line with Harry behind me.

"Now I want everyone to picture the thing they fear the most and turn it into something funny. Next Ron." Lupin said as Ron stepped forward.

"Concentrate, be specific." Lupin said.

The boggart transformed from Snape to a big spider.

"Ridiculous!" Ron called and the Spider had rollerskates.