A Love Like Theirs

The next morning you wake up to an empty bed. You roll over and see that Sarah is up before you. You roll back over onto your back and reach for your phone that is resting on the night stand next to your bed. You check your phone and see that Sarah has texted you.

                                   MESSAGES

     Sarah: Good morning sleepyhead, I've gone out to run some errands. I'll be back soon 😘

    You check and see that the time is now 9:30 AM. 'Geez' you think to yourself, 'Sarah must've gotten up pretty early. I hope she's not tired.'

     You slowly rise up in bed realizing you will have to walk down stairs by yourself. You pray that no one asks about last night. You get out of bed and stretch out your limbs as you look outside the sliding glass door in your room. You make your way over to your bathroom and begin to wash up.

     As you walk around your room the others, who are downstairs, can hear you getting yourself ready for the day.

     "I can hear her walking around, she must just be waking up" Becky says as she takes a sip of her coffee.

     "No one ask her about last night. She hates when people bring things up to her, especially if she's been feeling down about it. If she wants to talk about it, she'll bring it up" Justin says as he walks over to the kitchen table where the twins are sitting.

     Everyone nods in agreement with what Justin has said. They all wait patiently for you to join them downstairs.

     "You know what, I'm going to give her the option of eating breakfast in her room" Holland says as she begins to prepare you breakfast.

     As you finish up in the bathroom, you hear a knock at your door. As much as you love Becky and Justin, you prayed it wasn't them.

"Come in!" You shout from your bathroom.

     You hear your bedroom door open, then close. You wait for the guest to announce their presence in your room.

     "I figured you might want to stay up here until Sarah gets home" Holland says as she places a plate of scrambled eggs with some fruit and a glass of orange juice on your nightstand.

     You walk out of your bathroom to thank Holland for being so kind.

     "Holland, you are too much. Thank you. How did I get so l lucky to have someone like you in my life" you say as you observe the breakfast she has prepared for you.

     "I think I'm the lucky one for having you and Sarah in my life" Holland says as she begins to walk out of your room.

     You smile at Holland as you watch her walk out of your room. Holland knew you well enough to know that you weren't someone who liked to dwell on the past unless you brought it up. You stood there looking at the breakfast Holland prepared for you, so overwhelmed by the kindness and thoughtfulness from Holland. You pick up the plate and the glass of orange juice and make your way outside on to the balcony of your room.

     You didn't sit outside on the balcony often, not because you hated it, but because you were always busy doing something when visiting Sarah and Holland that you never had time to enjoy it. This was a rare time that you'd be able to enjoy the balcony and you weren't going to miss out on the opportunity.

     You set your plate and glass down on the small glass table that sat on the balcony. You close the sliding door behind you and take a seat in the iron chair that sat beside the table. You brought yourself closer to the table and begin to eat the simple, yet delicious breakfast that Holland prepared for you.