What Really Happened That Night

Your first week of recovery has gone by and your wound is healing nicely. You and Sarah are now at the hospital waiting for Dr. Oakland to come change your dressing. It has been a little over 1 week since you have heard from Lizzie.

     "Have you heard from her?" You ask Sarah as you play with your fingers.

     "(Y/N), you shouldn't be worried about that right now" Sarah says as she scrolls through her phone.

     You drop your head to look at your fingers, you felt as though Sarah was disappointed with you for missing Lizzie.

     Sarah reaches over from her chair and grabs your hand, "I'm sorry, I know you miss her. I just want you to focus on your recovery" Sarah says with a sincere look.

     You raise your head slowly and give Sarah a smile, you know she always means well and is only looking out for you.

     "Knock knock" Dr. Oakland says from the door frame of the hospital room.

     "Hi Sean" Sarah says as she gets up from her chair to greet Dr. Oakland.

     "Hi Sarah, wonderful to see you again" he says as he embraces Sarah in a hug.

     Dr. Oakland walks over to the bed you are sitting on and bends down to be at eye level with you.

     "How are you doing, Ms. (Y/N)?" Dr. Oakland asks as he makes eye contact with you.

     You smile at Dr. Oakland as you raise your hands and give him a double thumbs up, "Just great! I can't wait to start my light activities."

     "That's right! Your LIGHT activities" Dr. Oakland says as he points to you.

     You giggle as Dr. Oakland points at you. Dr. Oakland stands back up and walks over to the counter to grab his supplies to change your dressing. He has you lay down on your bed so he can properly place a new dressing.

     "Sarah, are you okay with watching this?" Dr. Oakland asks as he places protective glasses over his eyes.

     "Nope, I am going to leave now" Sarah says as she gets up from her chair.

     You giggle as Sarah steps out of the room, she never had the strongest stomach.

     "She would not survive in the medical field" Dr. Oakland says as he begins to remove your dressing.

     "Oh god no, she would quit before she even pulled into the hospital parking lot" you say while trying to keep your stomach still.

     Dr. Oakland laughs, "It's crazy that this stuff freaks her out but she's on shows like American Horror Story. The irony."

     You shake your head as a slight giggle escapes from your lips, "Yeah I don't know, that always confused me."

     Dr. Oakland continues to work on your dressing as a silence falls between you. He begins to clean out the wound with normal saline, followed by an antibiotic ointment. Once the ointment is applied, he begins to prepare the new dressing.

     "I told your sister I am going to recruit you as a nurse to this hospital" Dr. Oakland says as he cuts the gauze to fit your wound.

     "Oh yeah? I think that would require a lot of convincing. I'm not a fan of this California weather" you say as you watch Dr. Oakland prepare the gauze.

     "Eh, you get used to it. Trust me, I was worried about that too when I first moved here from New Jersey. But, being a nurse in California is really great. You know we have those staffing laws where a nurse can only have 2 to 3 patients."