Hit and Run

It's currently 9 AM. Becky and Matt are getting ready to take Bernie and Winnie out for a walk.

     "Remember to walk slowly once you pass the bush he hides in. We need his attention to be on you two so Lizzie can sneak up behind him" you say to Matt and Becky.

     "Got it. Walk slowly, don't be suspicious. Easy enough" Matt says as he slips his sneakers on.

"Don't jinx it" Becky says as she gives Matt a death stare.

Matt let's out a nervous chuckle as he grabs Bernie's leash and leads her out the front door. Before Becky leaves with Winnie, she quickly turns to you.

"You're going outside with Lizzie, right?" Becky asks as she stands in the door frame.

You nod your head as you whisper to Becky, "Oh definitely."

Becky nods her head as she gives you a thumbs up and makes her way outside. She catches up to Matt, who is waiting at the end of the driveway with Bernie.

"Are you ready?" Becky asks as she approaches Matt.

Matt shrugs his shoulders, "I guess so. I can't back out now, I'm already outside with the dog."

With that, Becky and Matt begin their walk up the street with Bernie and Winnie. The two create conversation as they make their way to the bush to reduce suspicion.

"So, what do you think of Lizzie?" Becky asks as she keeps her attention on the road in front of her.

"What do you mean? I think she's awesome. I like hanging with her and (Y/N). Do you think otherwise?" Matt asks as he gives Becky a strange look.

"Don't get me wrong, I like hanging with Lizzie and I think she's a special and kind person. I'm just nervous for (Y/N). Lizzie really dragged (Y/N) through the mud and hurt her badly. I don't want to see (Y/N) get hurt again."

Matt pauses before he responds to Becky, "I can understand why you feel that way. I know how important (Y/N) is to you and how protective you are of her but I think Lizzie has good intentions. You have to remember, her relationship with Robbie was far from healthy and I'm sure that impacted the relationships Lizzie had with other people. I mean, she kicked her sisters out of her house."

Becky sighs, "I guess you're right. I just hate that Lizzie waited so long to pursue something with (Y/N). They both could've avoided a lot of hurt and drama if they started their relationship sooner."

"I agree but we aren't Lizzie and we aren't (Y/N). What ever either of them decide to do we can't control. All we can do is be there for them and support them."

A smile forms on Becky's face as she continues her conversation with Matt, "You know, I'm so glad I'm able to have these conversations with you. I like that you aren't afraid to disagree with me."

Matt returns the smile as he puts his arm around Becky's shoulder and pulls her closer to him.

"Me too" Matt says as he kisses the top of Becky's head.

As the couple approach the bush, they begin to slow their speed to stall for you and Lizzie.

"Wow! I really can't get enough of this weather" Becky says trying to stall.

"Me too! I'm so glad I get to enjoy it with you" Matt says as he keeps Becky close to him.

"You always know what to say" Becky says as she looks into Matt's eyes.

Matt softly smiles at Becky as he leans into kiss Becky on the lips. Before their lips can connect, they are interrupted by an eager Bernie.

"Woah, woah, woah! Someone really has to go!" Matt says as Bernie pulls Matt towards the grass.

Becky follows Matt to the grass as Bernie quickly squats down to use the bathroom. As Matt and Becky stall by the bush, you and Lizzie sneak out of the house.

"I told you I am going alone" Lizzie angrily whispers to you as you both crouch behind your car.

"Shush! You're going to blow our cover" you whisper back to Lizzie.

Lizzie rolls her eyes as she begins to creep around your car out on to the street, keeping herself in a crouched position. The two of you slowly make your way up the street towards the bush as Matt and Becky continue to stall.

"What if he's not there?" Lizzie whispers as she leads the way towards the bush.

"Then we try again tomorrow" you whisper as you follow Lizzie's lead.

As the two of you get closer to the bush, Lizzie stops in her tracks and turns to face you.

"You have to let me go alone. I promise I'll be okay. If he does something, I'll scream" Lizzie whispers to you as she places her hands on either side of your face.

You place your hands over hers as you slowly nod your head. She leans in and kisses the top of your forehead as she pulls her hands away. You stay squatted in your position as you watch Lizzie approach the bush.

"Come on Bernie, really! That poop is going to require more than one bag" Matt says loudly to draw attention to him.

As Lizzie approaches the bush, she walks herself onto the empty lot that it sits in. She carefully approaches the bush from behind, keeping herself hidden. As she gets closer, she can see the figure of a man crouched in the bush.

"Charlie, what are you doing following my family around?" Lizzie asks sternly as she stands behind the bush.

Charlie jumps at the sound of Lizzie's voice, not expecting anyone to find him there.

"Lizzie! I didn't see you there! How are you doing?" Charlie asks as he turns to face Lizzie.

"I asked you a question" Lizzie says sternly as she crosses her arms.

Charlie takes a gulp as he stands up and wipes his sweaty palms on his pants, "I- I uh."

"I'm waiting" Lizzie says as she stares at Charlie.

Charlie looks over at Becky and Matt, then back at Lizzie, "I wouldn't say those two are your family."

Lizzie keeps a tight stare on Charlie, "Oh, but they are. I'm telling you to back off right now."

Charlie gives Lizzie a strange look, "These random strangers are your family? Really, Lizzie? I thought Robbie was your family."

Lizzie tilts her head slightly as she feels her anger rise, "Robbie was never my family and never will be. These "strangers" have treated me better in the few months I've known them than Robbie ever has in the 4 years we spent together."

Charlie shakes his head as he rolls his eyes, "Oh please, Robbie treated you with respect."

"Really? I'd think if he respected me he wouldn't have his friend stalking my family and taking pictures of us."

Charlie begins to fidget with his fingers as his anxiety increases, "Well, I'm not Robbie. I was just doing a friend a favor."

"A shitty favor. I suggest you stay away unless you want your hit and run shared."

Charlie's face turns pale at the mention of his hit and run, "You won't be seeing me again."

"Good" Lizzie says as she watches Charlie walk down the street.

You watch the events between Charlie and Lizzie take place from the driveway. As you watch Charlie walk away, you giggle to yourself.

"Ah, who doesn't love the walk of shame" you shout at Charlie as you clap your hands.

Charlie keeps his head down as he speed walks past the house, embarrassed to make eye contact with you.

You wait in the driveway for Lizzie, Becky, and Matt to return to the house. You watch Lizzie giggle with Becky and Matt, 'How did I get so lucky' you think to yourself.