23. Reckless (Danail)

I follow Tar across the bridge leading to the main hall. He's in a hurry, obviously trying to avoid the curious gazes of the first soldiers who will come to prepare the breakfast any moment. I almost bump into him when he stops abruptly, reaching the farthest end of the terrace.

   The moment we stop, he throws himself on his knees in front of me and starts kissing the hem of my shirt. "Accept my apologies, Follower. I've always known that you're blessed by God. The Chosen touched you. You're chosen by God yourself."

   I'm gazing at him with wide eyes, unable to comprehend what he is doing. He must have lost his mind.

   "Get up idiot!" I hiss. "I already heard enough howling and religious chanting from the queen. If this is why you dragged me here, then I assure you that you're in deep shit. If I hear the words 'follower' and 'chosen' one more time, coming out of your mouth, I'll give you thirty nine whips for every kiss that I couldn't get because of you. Let's hope that will bring the common sense back into your thick head."

   We see a boy slowly approaching, balancing on one of the bridges with an enormous tray with food and steaming jars of tea. Tar scrambles back on his feet and starts scratching awkwardly his nape. "Sorry! I guess, I finally gave in to this entire thing about the prophecy, and the doom coming, and all the mysterious stuff."

   I pat his shoulder, "It's ok, my friend. It seems everyone is crazy, especially my father. We sign the treaty today and will be riding the sea dragons back home in no time. I'm taking prince Dai Stial with me. I'll claim him today."

   "Dey, you know this can't happen," Tar shakes his head. "You have to marry one of the proposed princesses. You can't choose freely."

   "Yes, I can," I retort, "and I will. You know the first option. I only have to say 'Yes' and I can take whatever or whoever I want."

   "You won't do that!" Tar exclaims in disbelief. "No one has ever done it. The first option is always refused. The expected answer is 'no'. Also, you know that the King has the right to have a veto over the commander's decision. He will never agree."

   "I have a solution for this either," I smirk.

   "What solution?" Tar utters. I can see the goosebumps crawling on his skin. What I intend to do is a precedent, legally possible, but never done before. The king can always stop it, but I've thought about that either. Tar grabs my shoulder and repeats louder, "What have you done?"

   "I gave him the golden moon," I blurt. 

   Tar gives me a look of utter shock and shakes his head, "Dear God! I hope we'll leave this kingdom alive, although, I would be really surprised if we do. Your father will kill us all and then start the war all over again from the very beginning."

   I wave my hand dismissively. I'm not afraid of my father. Not anymore. "Don't worry! Even The Beast will not dare to challenge the power of the golden moon."

   My friend nods in agreement. He squeezes my forearm, astonishment written on his face. "Dey, how? How did you gather the courage to touch him? You could've dropped dead on the spot, or burned alive, or God knows what else. Was it painful? Did you feel something else?"

   I smile, "Yes, Tar. I felt everything. I felt all the love in the world, flowing directly into my veins"

   My friend gasps, "I hope this will not be the end of you."

   "Maybe it will," I chuckle, "but it's going to be such a beautiful end. What did you want to tell me in private?"

   "Well, it's too late to warn you now. Knowing what you've done and what you intend to do, it's pointless," Tar shrugs his shoulders. "The soldiers were talking, you know. No one has ever heard it. A prophet alone has the right to say the words out loud. They would do it only in front of someone with royal blood." Tar leans closer to my ear. His eyes are worried. "There are rumors, though. King Unufrail's guards are careful not to discuss it when I'm around, but the man, able to hide information from me, wasn't born yet. They speak of you. Something terrible will happen to you, if you love The Chosen. He would do anything, they say, to lure you in ..."

   "Shut up!" I interrupt him. "I don't want to hear another word. You have pledged loyalty to me, haven't you?"

   "I'll be with you till my last day," Tar says firmly.

   "I am him for you then," I urge, "and he is me. You shall not think of us as two different people. If a day comes that you have to choose who shall be saved, I order you to protect him first. Swear to me!"

   Tar puts his hand on his heart and clearly says, "I swear!"

   "Thank you, my friend! I promise you that whatever comes, I'll take you home. If we have to die, let it be, but we'll see The God's Garden once again before the end."

   We share a look, full of trust and respect for the other. We'll be together in this, as always. I fear nothing when my faithful friend is by my side.

   "Boys, breakfast is served," mother is coming our way with a smile. "Come! We'll be leaving soon. Have something to eat. We'll ride for five hours full to The Capital."

   "Yes, Your Majesty!" Tar bows and heads to the hall entrance.

   "Dey, about yesterday," she starts, taking my hand. "What is going on between you and The Chosen?"

   "I love him," I answer, "and he loves me."

   "You can't have him," mother retorts. "Take one of the sisters. This is not a joke. We need to preserve the peace and..."

   "Have you heard the prophecy?" I interrupt her. "What does it say?"

   "No," she looks at me sadly. "Only your father, king Unufrail and his brother were in that room. He's not himself since that day. It must be something really bad."

   "It doesn't matter," I hug her tightly. "Everything will be fine. I promise. Think of home. We'll be there soon. I owe you that."

   "I believe in you, my love," she nods. "Oh, and if you love the prince, then I love him too. Just don't be reckless."

   I laugh out, "When have I been reckless, mother?"

   "Always," she sighs.

___________________________________

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 23!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

This is the last day of the journey to the Capital.

Signing the treaty comes next.

Did you get any idea what exactly Dey has planned to 'trick' the law and claim Sai? 😉

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny

Photo 69126295 © Andrey Kiselev | Dreamstime.com