40: The Hunter's Call

1078 AP (after phoenix)
SOUTHERN AELTON
GOLDEN FALCON 13

A female elf called Grixi of the wolf tribe is securing the perimeter making sure undesirable people stay away but can't see much due to the fog as she sees a shadow of person riding a direwolf as she pulls back her bowstring as the shadow stops and puts up a hand slowly approaching as Grixi's eyes widen seeing who it is. Elyria lowers her hood as her red hair is somewhat messy in a ponytail as she smiles.

Elyria (sign): "hello old friend." She signs as Grixi is so excited dropping her bow and runs towards her. "Oh no." She says unhooking herself from the saddle as she's tackled off of Ryris by Grixi as Grixi hugs her tightly.

Grixi (sign): "I can't believe it! I thought I'd never see you again! It's soo good to see you!" She signs whilst helping her up and hugs Ryris. "Nice armor, courtesy of the huntsman?" She signs as Elyria nods as they walk together.

Elyria (sign): "so how's the tribe been?" She signs as Grixi is stroking Ryris' chin.

Grixi (sign): "same old same old, your father is running things rather tightly not that it's a surprise, he... Was not happy when you left so don't expect a hug." She signs as Elyria signs that she isn't surprised. "So... What's your life been like?" She signs curiously as Elyria takes a deep breath.

Elyria (sign): "well fought werewolves, met a shapeshifter who's also the king of Newcastle by now, made a friend in the Queen of Aelton and... I fell in love with a human." She signs stopping in her tracks as Grixi looks over in surprise.

Grixi (sign): "he must be really special, who is he?" As Elyria sighs somewhat worried what she'll think.

Elyria (sign): "his name is Lexington, he was the human who carried Fylis to us." She signs as Grixi's jaw drops in surprise questioning this. "He's a sweetheart, knows how to sing and dance and was understanding towards me." She signs with a genuine smile as tears drip down her face as she apologizes.

Grixi (sign): "what happened?" She signs with concern as Elyria explains the situation as Grixi is surprised. "I'm so sorry El, come on everyone will want to see you." She signs and leads her to the camp as Elyria removes her cloak folding it neatly as everyone looks in surprise seeing her as she gives them a soft smile looking around for her mother but she freezes seeing Lex leaning against a tree. She rubs her eyes and Lex is gone as she knew it was her imagination. She turns seeing her mother Kylia who is in shock as Elyria hands the folded cloak to Grixi.

Elyria: "hi mom." She says barely able to get it out as Kylia rushes to her and hugs her tightly which she returns.

Kylia: "thank Ryris you're okay, I heard rumors but I wasn't sure." She says as Elyria feels bad seeing how worried she is.

Elyria: "it's true but I'm okay... Mostly." She says as Kylia notices the attire she's wearing which is all black and tight with chainmail and light armor in specific areas as she asks about it. "Uh well... After the loss of Griffin Island, many recruits were selected to become Huntsman or Huntresses early if the order felt we were ready... I was one of those few." She says and sees her father Elaric watching having heard the conversation as she approaches him.

Elaric: "so you're a Huntress? First elf to do it in a hundred years." As Elyria nods not sure if he's proud or disappointed but is soon hugged by him. "I'm glad you're okay but I imagine you're here on business on behalf of the order?" He asks as Elyria nods somewhat.

Elyria: "can we talk in private?" She asks as they head inside a tent with Kylia as Elyria removes her gloves. "What you've heard is true, the Demons took Griffin Island and... The order is asking for the help it can get, Aelton and soon enough Newcastle should be involved... But they also requested the assistance of the elven tribes." She says handing a message to Elaric who looks through it.

Kylia: "I fail to see how a bunch of elven tribes are to help in this matter." She says making her opinion known.

Elaric: "and the Huntsman order has never done anything for us but leave us out in the dust, no offense." He says awkwardly as Elyria places her hands on the table.

Elyria: "I'm more than familiar dad, I know it's hard to put aside your grievances, you were a slave because of it but... If the order and those two kingdoms fail? Then we're by ourselves again, please father... Think of the future generations that could be saved if we put aside our grievances." She pleads as Elaric places his fists on the table.

Elaric: "what would we gain putting aside our grievances? as you would put it." As Elyria hands him a message as he opens it up and looks through.

Elyria: "the Queen of Aelton will reward our people with the Kingdom of Elvaria and it's land, the King or Queen will be of our choice." She says as she sees her father really tempted. "And if it means anything? I'm good friends with the Queen, she's good on her word." She says as Elaric sighs heavily deep in thought.

Elaric: "okay fine... I'll try convincing the tribes to work with us, is there is anything else." As Elyria nods and looks down.

Elyria: "I fell in love with a human." As Elaric and Kylia are stunned by this news.

Elaric: "I... How?" He asks clueless as Kylia sighs.

Kylia: "it's not that complicated actually, I was in her position once." She says as Elaric nods knowing that. "What's his name?" She asks curiously as Elyria plays with the red cloth.

Elyria: "Lexington Hunter." As Elaric recognizes the family name.

Elaric: "Hunter? Like the famous huntsman bloodline." As Elyria nods as Elaric scratches the back of his neck. "Look Elyria I appreciate you being honest but where are you going with this?" He asks as Elyria gets to the point.

Elyria: "Lex was sent to hell by the Demon King and the only ones who would know about opening up hell would be the Averials." She says with determination as Elaric is surprised by her determination.

Elaric: "you want to find Ryrieal Dirael on a rumor?" He asks as Elyria's intense stare answers that.

Elyria: "plus we need a King don't we? If there's anything that could convince the tribes to take part of this war? The last Averial would do that." She says as Elaric looks at Kylia looking for her answer.

Kylia: "it's worth a shot, plus our little girl is doing it for love, an admirable reason." She says as Elaric sighs at that.

Elaric: "even though I don't entirely approve of her dating a human, it's a goal worth doing." He says as Elyria thanks him for accepting. "I just hope this pays off." He says as Elyria exits the tent exhaling.

Elyria (mind): "please hang on Lex, my Tempest." She says touching the cloth.
*Meanwhile in Hell*

Lexington is running full sprint with a torn cloak as he's grown a slight beard and is cut off by a group of hellhounds and hellsabers with a group of demons catching up.

Demon: "you're not getting anywhere near Malakai!" He snarls as Lexington pulls out Tempest and a shield made from the bones of Demons.

Lexington: "I'm getting to Malakai one way or another!" He says with lightning charging through Tempest and gets ready to fight. "I'm coming home Elyria... I promise." He says to himself as the demons lunge at him as he lets out a battlecry.

Author's note: and that's the end of my first fantasy story, this has honestly been incredible to write as I've never written fantasy besides cringey crap in school and while this story didn't exactly get that much attention as much as I'd like I still loved writing as it felt satisfying to properly develop characters, world build something I was scared of sharing, and build up to an emotional rollercoaster that was the past few chapters. Now what's next? Well the sequel will definitely be coming but there's also a little side story going more in depth on Lex's situation in hell so do keep an eye out for that.

But I also wanted thank everyone who stayed with this story, you guys and your support meant the world to me especially with the tough times I've been having of late but do let me know what you thought of this story as a whole, doesn't matter if it's the most detailed or not.