New Life

Our kiss was magical. It felt right. Every insecurity and doubt I had in my mind disappeared as our lips touched. As every breath passed, I knew Hayes was somebody I could trust. I still had so many questions, but for now this was perfect. "That was- wow," I stated. "Yes, it really was... Stephanie, I know you still have questions and I still have things to talk to you about, but for now I should let you go to sleep. You've had a long day." We walked back inside towards the edge of the stairs that led up to my room. We stared into each's other eyes for a couple of seconds.  I could see the amber of his eyes sparkle and the receding moonlight laid upon his skin beautifully. He tucked my still wet hair behind my ear and it looked like he wanted to stay, but I knew he wasn't. I was still going to ask though. "Stephanie, I should leave." He turned around but I grabbed him and pulled him back by his belt loop. "Yes, you should leave. But I want you stay... Do you want to come upstairs?" I could tell he was thinking about accepting, but at the last moment he shook his head and looked down. I lifted his chin up and as soon as I did, he grasped my wrists. "I want to stay so badly. More than you'll ever know, but I can't. I promise I will explain later. For now, I must leave." He kissed my cheek and swiftly left.

I went back to my room and scavenged my luggage for my sweater and pajama pants. I put them on and settled down onto my bed. I immediately fell into a deep sleep.

I woke up to the smell of brewing espresso and fresh pastries. Everything that happened last night felt like a dream. I couldn't believe it was true. I could still taste Hayes on my lips and his warmth all over my body. I rolled over on my bed so that I could check my phone. It read 9:06 am. I had only gotten about four and a half hours of sleep, I was excited to get the day started and explore New Mount so I didn't feel as tired as I probably should have.

After I brushed my teeth and my hair, and washed my face I headed downstairs to find Helen, Zach, Valentina, and Henry in the dining area. Valentina saw me first and she rushed to my side, "Stephanie! You're up. Would you like some coffee, perhaps a croissant?!" "That would be great, thank you." She grabbed me a cup and handed it to me. "Stephanie, it's great to see you again, how did you sleep?" Helen asked, while Henry waved at me and Zach barely even noticed me. Henry passed me the coffee and a croissant. "I slept fine, I'm still a bit tired. Thank you for asking." Everyone looked at each other. I guess everyone in this town knows how to talk solely with their eyes. "And it didn't have anything to do with that late night swim you had last night with a friend?" Helen said mischievously. I almost spit my coffee out. They all grinned and I could see the judgment through their eyes. "I, actually fell into the pool, but yes I'm sure that has something to do with it."  Helen seemed like she was embarrassed, "I'm sorry, I didn't know that, are you okay?" "Yes, I'm okay, it was nothing." Henry blurted out sarcastically, "Yes, I'm sure that with Hayes it's nothing." And now everyone was surprised. I stared Henry down and he just laughed. Even Zach chimed in: "Hayes? You're still friends with Hayes? I'm sure he would have done something to screw it up already." Now I understood why Hayes wasn't friendly with these people. I felt odd and out of place. Valentina noticed and held my hand while everyone settled down. Helen spoke again: "I'm sorry Stephanie, we were just joking, but I can see we took it too far. Why don't I take you out with Valentina to show you our town to make up for it?" Valentina joined the conversation, "Yes! It would be so lovely! We could talk and then get some lunch. Let's do it Stephanie! Come on, you have to!" I wanted to give them another chance, but even more so I wanted to see Hayes again. I wanted to get involved within the town and build relationships, especially if it meant I could get closer to meeting my parents. I sighed. "Fine, you convinced me!" Valentina got so excited, "OMG! Great! Let's go get you dressed." Valentina was so happy and she started heading to the stairs and Helen wasn't too far behind. I whispered to Henry, "I didn't know that me getting dressed would be a three person job." Him and Zach laughed and I started to feel more welcomed.

As we all three reached the stairs, Helen said that she had to ask Zach a question so she would meet us down here once I got dressed. Valentina basically ran to my room and I quickly followed her. As soon as we reached it she made herself at home and sat on my bed. "So Stephanie, you and Hayes must be getting along very well!" I started blushing because even his name made my heart flutter. "Ooh I know what that looks means!" I picked out an outfit and went to the bathroom to change, but I didn't want to walk off silently: "Yeah I bet, I saw the same look on your face when you were with Emilio last night." I said playfully. I couldn't see her face but I heard her gasp. "Touche!" I heard her yell while I was changing. I wanted to change the conversation because contrary to popular belief I can talk about something else than Hayes. "Valentina, what's your job or honestly anyone's? I barely know anyone." I walked back outside from the bathroom to see myself in the full length mirror that was beside my bed. "Of course! And remember you can ask me anything. Well Helen is my boss, she is a family/ marriage counselor and I'm graduate student who she took under her wing. I've been researching and studying with her help. As for Emilio, he works with Amy in the gym down the street, they are both personal trainers. Aiden is a veterinarian and Jackson has a jazz band who plays downtown every Saturday. David works at Hayes's bar and club. And Henry runs the local newspaper. Oh and I forgot Damon, he works beside his brother, no shocker." I turned around because they all looked so young to be so accomplished. And I didn't know that Hayes ran two businesses, including a used book store and a club."Wow, that's great. Truly. I'm shocked!" She laughed. "And I didn't know that Hayes also ran a club, I mean aside from Olympia's." She seemed puzzled. "Olympia's?" I responded, "The used book store in Boston. He runs it too." She looked even more confused, "Stephanie, nobody from this town ever leaves. Now that I think about it, I don't know why but that is just how it is." Now I was the confused one.

Helen, Valentina, and I drove in the limo towards town. It wasn't that big which was odd because last night there were way more people than this town seems to be able to host. We drove past by Amy's and Emilio's gym, the Mayor's office, Helen's office, Henry's office and Hayes's club. Everything was so beautiful and I really wanted to check out his club. Nevertheless, we pulled up to a cute little coffee shop that overlooks a very well maintained park. After we got our lattes and sat down we began talking. Helen turned to me, "Stephanie who did you meet yesterday? Everyone loved you!" "There's Valentina, Emilio, Amy, Aiden, David, Henry, Zach, Jackson, Damon, you, and I knew Hayes before." She looked at me, "Oh, I thought you would have met Danielle, but maybe she wasn't there. She rarely ever comes out anymore since she lost her daughter." My eyes widened, could this be my mom? "Danielle? Who is Danielle?"